Could Warners be planning a Scorsese festival?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Morrison, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Warners have just announced a number of long-awaited special editions for September. However, the list is also interesting for what it doesn't include. They are known to be working on special editions of the Scorsese films 'Mean Streets' and 'GoodFellas', and these weren't included in the announcement. They also have three other Scorsese films, 'Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore', 'The King Of Comedy' and 'After Hours', that are still to be released on DVD, so I'm wondering if they might be planning a big Scorsese splurge some time later this year or early 2003. Well, it's a nice thought at least – has anyone heard anything that might substantiate this?

2. Rain

Rain Producer

The King of Comedy is not a Warner title.

I believe it's Fox or Paramount...can't remember which.

Either way, it is in production for DVD.

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

They are probably looking at coordinating it with Gangs of New York.

4. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Rain: The ownership of 'The King Of Comedy' came up in a thread in this forum last November. This is what Mark Edward Heuck posted on November 27:

Fox no longer owns any rights to THE KING OF COMEDY. This was a film financed by Arnon Milchan that was a theatrical-only pickup on its initial release. Milchan's Regency Enterprises licensed the film to Warner Bros. for VHS a few years ago when they had a distribution deal there, and even though Regency themselves have moved to Fox, those previous WB titles stay there.

5. Rain

Rain Producer

6. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

You can never have enough Scorsese, and all these SE's of his films makes me very happy indeed! [​IMG]
    P.S.: MGM is working on an SE of Raging Bull for late 2002/early 2003 release.
    P.P.S.: While we're at it, when is Buena Vista gonna re-release Kundun as a fully-loaded SE? If Region 2 audiences can get a deluxe version of the film (w/ documentaries, interviews, trailers, galleries, the works), why can't we?

7. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Actually, Rain, we are both correct. Fox will be releasing the DVD of THE KING OF COMEDY, but technically, they still do not own the rights to it; Arnon Milchan does. I guess since Milchan fully financed the film years ago, he was able to take the home video and DVD rights with him when he moved Regency Enterprises from Warners to Fox. In a sense, whereas the other Regency films that were made at WB were co-productions (thus insuring they stay there, as I opined earlier), KING is a wholly owned property of Milchan that he can take wherever he chooses.

Kudos to Peter Staddon for working so hard to make it a great DVD as well!

I only hope that if Warners does do a box set for their Scorsese films (as they have done for Kubrick and Stone) that Fox will be generous enough to license this title into that proposed set. They already were good enough to let WALL STREET be included in the Stone box.