Could video capabilty be added to SACD?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Is it possible/practical/desirable ? If SACD (So-knee) decided they really wanted to trump DVD-A by adding video could they and keep 100% compatiable with present discs? Could the CD layer be video-ized? I'm not saying I'm partcularly in favour of this but when you look at the mass market...'dem peoples like's d'they big screens.

Good idea? Bad idea? ...practical?

subformat name: Extreame Really Really Super Audio-Video CD's...[​IMG]

2. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Is there room?

Note: I could be completely wrong about the below. Please correct the errors.

As I understand it, SACD is on DVD-ROM media. 2.8224 MHz time 1 bit divided by 8 bits per byte is .3528 MB/s. One hour would be 1270.08 MB per channel; six channels is 7620.48MB. Another 2540.16MB for two stereo tracks and 600MB for redbook CD. That's a total of 10760.64MB (well, less than that because the subwoofer channel is less than a full channel of bandwidth) I believe DVD is around 9 gigs (unless the 16 gig kind has been implemented). DVD video is around 50MB a minute (compressed from 300MB a minute AVI - there are a bunch of variables here; this is calculated from chapt. 29 of Y Tu Mama Tambien ). Let's say the three minute music videos of an albums three hits are record to DVD. At this rate that's 450MB.

I would like to see music videos distributed (heck, that's the only thing I download off KaZaa) but we must not allow multiple (i.e. reduced) bitrates for SACD audio tracks. Packaging a DVD-V disc with the videos is a preferrable solution.

Sathyan

NP Natalie Merchant Ophelia

3. charles white

charles white Second Unit

What about a flip-disc? One side SACD audio and the other video DVD? I have a DVD-Audio that is a close variant of that-one side has high res stereo tracks and the other high res multi channel tracks. It beats navigating through clunky on screen menus to get to the stereo tracks-my main pet peeve with DVD-Audio.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Why? Lp doesn't have it. CD doesn't have it. And it personally pisses me off when I have to turn on my *TV* to *listen* to a DVD-A disc. [​IMG]

5. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

From an info thing i Read on SACD there is a secion on the outer edge reserved for future use of text graphics and such.. not sure about video though but at least pictures and text.

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Rob,

The region you refer to is (still) undefined 4 years after the formats introduction. It isn't very large, nor would it need to be for a slideshow type presentation.

Hmm... slide show type presentation... that sounds vaguely familiar.

Regards,

7. John Kotches

Sathyan,

For some reason, your math doesn't sound quite right.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Based on my reading of these responses and conversations with engineers, the answer it is possible to have both SACD music and video content. It may depend on the length of the video, of course, but music videos seem very doable.

Also, SACD could easily produce a "flipper" disc with video content on one side. The volume on a Super Audio disc is quite large given the multiple layers.

I hope that answers your question Rachael. [​IMG]

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

On my Hong Kong pop SACDs (no matter what label), Sony included a "leaflet" that does a comparison of the redbook CD and SACD formats. And according to that "leaflet", video content is possible on SACD. No specifics, however.

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Lee, how is an SACD flipper easily doable? considering tis dual layer already wouldn't they be running into all the same problems DVD-A flippers are? I knwo I have read many posts from you saying how DVD-A flippers arent easy and not workign yet.

so can you please shed some light on how this flipper woul;d be different?

12. John Kotches

John,

Because DVD-18s aren't problematic for DVD-ROM based formats.

Flippers are only problematic for CD based formats.

Regards,

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. John Kotches

Lee,

Space is a very significant constraint, and including any type of full motion video would require substantial space utilization.

DVD-Video has raised consumer expectations for video performance, and going back to VHS quality for playback is unpalatable to many.

You are at roughly 40-50MB/minute so 15 minutes of video would be somewhere between 15-20+% of the available space on the DVD layer. Non-hybrid is another story, but for hybrids you are severely space constrained.

Regards,

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

16. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Good responses guyz! Since SACD & DVD-A aren't burning up the marketplace I don't think it's unreasonable to think either format might be morph'ed or evolved some. I wasn't too suprised by Danny's revelation. I was thinking I'd save a spot for video just in case. Afterall, they started out saying no M/C. "...everything must change..." SACD & DVD-A could evolve/devo (point-of-view)to close to the same thing? "..are we not men..we are devo..." "Duty now for the future," guyz! [​IMG]