Could use some advice about upgrading from a Sony HT-DDW740 system...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe Woj, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Joe Woj

Joe Woj Agent

Could really use some advice [​IMG]

HT-DDW740

[​IMG]

I've had the Sony HT-DDW740 for about a year now and was looking to upgrade my speakers. I'm planning to keep the receiver and keep the sub, but I am unsure about the speakers. I am definitely planning to upgrade the two front speakers but I'm not sure whether or not to upgrade the rears and the center. I've heard the rears are good for this system so I may not bother with them and just focus on some front floor speakers. Is that a good idea, or do you think I should upgrade my center channel along with it...or even my rears?

Anyway, if/when I do upgrade what sort of speakers would be a sensible upgrade for me? I'm willing to spend about $500 dollars right now, but I really have no idea what brand of speakers to get. I was planning to take a ride to Best Buy tomorrow and see what they have, so could somebody give me some expert device, especially if somebody out there has/had my current setup? I'm still learning so be gentle [​IMG]

2. Nick-G

Nick-G Agent

Hey Joe, what did you end up doing?? I have the same system and am planning on upgrading to the JBL NSP-1II speakers for christmas.[​IMG] I was just curious how this worked out for you.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Personally, I would ditch the sub. Adding a HSU VTF-2 or Adire Audio Rava would make a massive difference as they will give you clean bass rather than boomy bass and remain in your system for several years to come.

For speakers, take a look at getting three Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s ($502 delivered). Those also offer a tremendous upgrade.