What's new

could use an explanation.. (video games,burn in etc..) (1 Viewer)

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I have a couple of questions about videogames , burn in and hdtv monitors (apologize for any spelling errors just got back from disney world) Let me start of by saying i am looking to get the toshiba 50h81 and I am alos a loyal nintendo buyer. i will be getting a gamecube.
1. Are 16x9 Rptvs more subsecptable to burn in than front projection(crt ithink.) tvs? I know that games that are 16x9 enhanced will fill the whole screen. I am worried about the static images. I plan on stretching any game that is not 16x9 enhanced.
2. I have logged numerous hours(tons) on my current 27 inch sony 4x3 tv. how I never noticed any burn in affects. Is it not the same principle with the static images?
any help would be great!
P.S. if you plan on going to disney do yourself a favor and do not eat at the restuarant in the Contemporary hotel called Chef Mickey's. that asshole mouse can't cokk and he will give you the shits!
yum.gif

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Videogame burn-in is a definite concern for RPTVs, mainly due to the CRTs inside running much brighter. That said, I haven't noticed any burn-in on my 10 year old 50" set that I've been using exclusively for videogames for the past 3 years.
After hearing about Madden 2002 for the Gamecube supporting 16x9 and progressive scan (480p), I'll probably also hook up the system to my 65" HDTV to see how it looks. It would be great if all the games supported 16x9 sets (Rogue Squadron 2 or Super Smash Bros Melee would be nice).

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
You don't have to worry about video games anymore. The electronics have very much improved since the 80's and early 90's.
There really is now problem with the Video games or burn in. Just set the contrast so that black is black and not white or grey. White and Grey burn in quicker than black.
And if you have a TV with 16:9 and 4:3 and most shows are in 4:3 on standard cable or Sat. Use 4:3 for 4:3 and 16:9 for 16:9.
Also don't just leave your tv on when nobody is watching it that can cut the burn in down considerably. Also if you watch the Stock channels a lot it will burn in.
Jason
------------------

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree. "Burn-In" is not actual burn in of your screen, but uneven aging of the phosphers in the CRT. A static, or unmoving image will wear out a phospher CRT much faster than a constantly moving image, especially if it is a high contrast image (such as a station logo in orange or something). 16:9 RPTV's do not burn any faster than a 4:3 RPTV, but because most TV programming is 4:3, you have to watch the image "stretched" to fit a 16:9 screen. Some people don't like this and will watch 4:3 Tv with grey or black sides (like letterboxing on the sides). Well, after hours and hours with grey or black sides, the phosphers will unnaturally age and leave a ghost image even over a moving picture. A lot of people are complaining because station logos are a constant thing in the corners, and that after time will do the same thing. Eventually you will get a permanent logo in the corner.
Video games will cuase this due to constant life bars, etc. that are always in the same place. In the past, I've logged numerous hours of Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and various football games. I would never think of playing these on any RPTV unless you are able to turn these features off.
Colors are not in themselves a burn in problem, but having bright colors with the brightness and contrast settings cranked to the max are! Any color would be a problem then.
The best thing you can do is calibrate your monitor with Video Essentials or Avia, turn the brightness and contrast way down, and vary any image or viewing ratio so that no image is displayed for more than 15% of total viewing time.
Matt
------------------
NO OAR...NO SALE/NO RENTAL!

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, I apologize i am still a little confused. how come I have not seen any burn in on my regular 4:3 sony 27 inch tv? I have logged countless hours with video games that have life meters.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand, it can happen to direct view tubes, just takes a lot longer or something to that effect. I am not totally sure why RPTV's are more susceptible than direct view, but maybe it has something to do with picture tube versus phosphor CRT.
Anyone else care to shed some light on this?
Matt
------------------
NO OAR...NO SALE/NO RENTAL!
[Edited last by Matt Heebner on November 06, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Well this is interesting. I just picked up a copy of star wars rouge leader for gamecube tonight.(they released the game early) Along with the instruction manual came a little gamecube precautions pamphlet. In this pamphlet it states "! Caution projection Tvs! do not use nintendo gamecube with front or rear projection TVs! It tlaks about the tv becoming permantely damaged due to static images left on screen. (I guess they mean burn in).
very interesting, looks like i won't hook up my gamecube to the toshiba 50h81 once i get it.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
the reason RPTV's are more susceptable to burn-in is that the CRTs are working harder than a direct view's CRTs. to get the same level of brightness the CRT's have to put out much more light when reflected off of the mirror than the CRTs that are just shooting straight in the direct view. with the bulbs going that bright they risk burning in quicker.
at least that's what i've been told.
hope this helps.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Users who are viewing this thread