Could this speaker placement work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChuckM, Oct 10, 2002.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I've been working on finding a speaker placement which would work with my room and this what I came up with. The black boxes are the speakers and the blue circle is the listeners location. Also my room is pretty small is this a good thing or a bad thing. If you have any suggestion it would be well apreciated.
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/a/lamppost/Room.bmp

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

My room is about the same size as yours. The ideal HT would include a much bigger room, but my HT still sounds amazing, even in a 10'x8' room. Obviously you can't make your room bigger, but I don't think you're going to be missing out much.

You want your mains and center channel to be parallel with each other. The mains are a few feet forward then they should be. The surrounds seem ok, but I imagine it be better if they were a bit further away from you.

3. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

So you should be closer to the rear speakers then the front speakers. Is this right. Also does being so close to the rear speakers overtake the sound of the front speakers.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Sit exactly in the middle of the room and you would have the perfect ideal setup.

5. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

check outdolby.com they have a ton of good info on speaker placement. In general, I agree with Nick. You will want to put the Left and Right Speakers against the wall where the TV stand is, if possible. Also, try and put those surround speakers against the walls (actually mount them on the side walls pointing toward eachother). If you check out that website you'll see what I'm talking about.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Roughly like this (or as close as you can manage):

------------------------------------------(front wall)

.....................(C).....................

.....(L).............................(R).....

(LS)>..............(you)..............

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Bring the right and left speakers closer in line with the center speaker and push those rear surrounds up and away from you a bit. A small room is nothing you can change. I have a small room and I don't like it, but you can't do anything about it except maybe treat the odd wall and fiddle with the receiver to make the room sound a wee bit bigger. I honestly would prefer a larger room.

8. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

Ok I looked at the information at dolby and it told me everything except, why you raise the surround speakers above the ears? and the required distance for channel separation between the left, right, and center. Also is it a downside if you can't put the surround speakers slightly behind.

9. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

also what is a good distance between the rear channels.

10. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think they raise the surrounds because in a lot of movies the surrounds play ambient noise such as wind, rain, or flying sound effects. By raising the speakers the sound reflects around the sounds to produce an environment rather than people focusing on the exact location of sounds like how a center channel works. Also, you may hear that in some movies, the surrounds produce a mono source that sounds located above your heard or behind you like when an airplane soars over the listener.

The only downside I can think of with surrounds not slightly behind the listener is the mono surround sources could appear "inside" the listener's head or right above it. It simply may get harder for the theater to simulate sounds behind the listener without surrounds back there.

I don't believe there's an ideal distance for LRC placement. Generally, I'd probably want wider LR speakers if I listened to music more for a wide soundstage, and a tighter setup for movies to partner with the screen. An example is how an actor might be viewed on the far left of the screen while his voice is coming from the left main speaker 3 feet away from the screen.

Tight = movies, Wide = music.
    Parallel LCR for more multiple listening positions
    Circle speaker configuration for single listening enjoyment.

A good distance for the rear surrounds to the listener would be the same distance the listener is from the LCR front speakers. If the surrounds are too close then you'd end up just lowering the volume of the surrounds. Not a big problem IMO.