What's new

Could this be the future of hometheater software (1 Viewer)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
From what I've been reading...this may be nirvana for hometheater buffs.
Holographic storage will make high bitrate audio and video a reality...2004 is not too far away. When (not if...) it takes off I bet things could happen for the home market before the next decade (Hey by 2010 Disney should have the last of their Platinum Editions released). I'm willing to wait...the future looks bright!
Link Removed
Enjoy fellow geeks! :cool:

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Oh yeah...forgot that part...Lucent needs to strike up a deal since they've invested heavily in this. Agreed, this kind of thing scares the hell out of studios.

100GB, 800GB, 1TB storage in the palm of your hand....simply amazing stuff!

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
It's an optical format...no tapes...Inphase's website shows various sized discs, cartridge, and pc card formats.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The thing about this format is, the media itself will remain stationary! Instead of the media rotating in some fashion, internal lasers will rotate around to read the media.

What this means is that ultimately studio movies could be released on a translucent storage device the size of a credit card.

Imagine having the entire Star Wars Saga with all known supplements and the original theatrical cuts of the classic Trilogy in Hi-Def uncompressed format all on one card!! (Naw ... Lucas would never go for it!)

Anyway, as we all know, it will probably be 10-15 years before the studios will embrace this technology.

I believe we'll start to see it in computers, though, in just a few years.

Microsoft, for one, should love it. They could sell their Windows OS on a holographic storage card and have that linked to the computer by a hardware vendor security code. It would then work sort of like an upgradeable "Super BIOS". Complete Windows OS upgrades could be mailed to you on a card and you would simply unplug the old card, throw it away, and plug-in the new card. There would also be, of course, an additional application slot for holographic-storage program cards. Imagine having Expedia, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, and Access all available on one card! Your conventional 80 Gig Hard drive would then have almost all of that space available for data!

Users who are viewing this thread