1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Could the original, unaltered STAR WARS be on its way to Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. AshJW

AshJW Screenwriter

Thomas
    I can tolerate the changed version so far if I watched them together with the PT. But only then.

I watch the OT far more often than the PT, and without the PT the changes in the OT doesn't work (for me).

2. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Kershner at least was around to give his blessing to the endeavor. (ESB had the least obvious changes in '97, and the Clive Revill Emperor was still intact.) Marquand passed away in 1987, so we'll never know what he would have said about it.

Of course, there are fans who believe George ghost directed much of Jedi. ;)

3. Salacious Ackbar

Salacious Ackbar Supporting Actor

Josh
    This isn't a conspiracy theory or anything - Lucas did direct a large portion of Jedi and was on-set most of the time. It's pretty well documented. Marquand, good director that he was, was inexperienced with action and effects and everyone realized that early on in production.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah and maybe he was totally cool with it but if he raised hell, it's not like it would have done anything.

I'm in that group (for the reasons that Josh stated above) but at least in the 30th anniversary making-of ROTJ book, Lucas is kind enough to not take credit away from Marquand and speaks well of him (unlike others interviewed in the book).

5. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

The book makes it quite plain that Marquand did first unit, Lucas did second, meaning that George was basically on-hand for most of the shooting of the movie (as well as post, which we knew about anyway). Tony Daniels gave a cryptic response when asked about who he deferred to on set (meaning Lucas or Marquand), he said something like he asked one guy how he should do a scene and then asked the other one how to do it, and when that scene was done he only ever went back to one of them after that. And once Marquand delivered his contractually obliged cut of the movie that was pretty much the end of his involvement, Lucas brought in his own editor and recut the movie himself.

I'd say the only Star Wars film which doesn't have Lucas' paw prints all over it is Empire.

6. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Lucas Paws Ltd. :lol:

I swear if originals are released with THEATRICAL FAR FIELD and none of this near-field remixing nonsense or Lucas and fox and disney, can keep it.

My bitch t!ts have no more milk to give? Lucas has dried them up.

7. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Even on Empire, he did some uncredited rewriting on the script before Lawrence Kasdan came on board (or so I've often read).

8. Salacious Ackbar

Josh
    He wrote the first draft(s) and supervised pre and post production, in addition to supervising ILM's effects. Brackett's original treatment was so off base that he and Kasdan had to pretty much start from scratch.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, whether it was good or bad, Brackett's script is very different from what ended up onscreen. I've always just assumed that since she died they wanted to give her a nod and that's why she got any kind of writing credit on the movie.

10. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Sure, I didn't say that he didn't have anything to do with it, as he fashioned the story and rewrote the script with Larry Kasdan and was of course heavily involved in post, but in terms of the day-to-day shooting of the picture he spent the least time on set compared to any of the other movies, and it shows. He was initially busy overseeing the expansion of Lucasfilm, but once the movie started overrunning due to the terrible Norway shoot (which backed everything up from there on out) he had the banks to contend with as well, because even though the movie was self-financed Lucas wasn't paying it in cash, he'd taken out loans against his assets.

He even had to put up the rights to future movies as collateral when things got especially hairy and that's why he parted ways with Gary Kurtz when all was said and done; he'd gotten very close to losing his own personal empire before it'd even been built and he blamed Kurtz for how slack the production was. IIRC, after everything he said about directing Star Wars being this horribly stressful experience, he later remarked that producing Empire was even more stressful!

Salacious Ackbar likes this.
  11. Salacious Ackbar

Josh
    It's comical how so many of the Lucas bashers worship Kurtz, who has made a career out of taking swings at Lucas, when he nearly sank the whole ship before it had even set sail during the production of Empire. I mean, just look at his post-Empire career as evidence.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Members need to stay on topic (in this case the potential Blu release of the OOT) and avoid making judgments or direct remarks at other members.

As for who is speaking out of turn, leave that to the moderating team, please.

13. SilverWook

Bill
    Yeah, nobody remembers The Dark Crystal anymore. ;)

Is Rick McCallum's post Star Wars resume somehow superior to Kurtz's?

14. Salacious Ackbar

Josh
    Rick McCallum didn't allow his Lucasfilm productions to go wildly over budget and over schedule, working against his employer and the man he was supposed to be supporting due to his own agenda.

15. SilverWook

Bill
    What agenda? Movies run over budget and over schedule all the time.

I do know the lengthy production on The Shining tied up the soundstages at Elstree that ESB was waiting to move into. And the set that burned down probably didn't help. There was bad weather in Norway too.

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have purchased the original trilogy enough and I will deal with what I have unless the original untouched theatricals are released on 1080p bluray or UHD bluray.

Oh and audio must be in 5.1 lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD, even Uncompressed PCM would be acceptable.

19623_front (1).

17. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Supporting Actor

Michael
    That's a great point, unless some people want to insist on arguing that people at The National Film Registry aren't likely to have much of an appreciation for films, because that's only their job.

ijthompson, raphdude and Tony Bensley like this.
  18. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    According to Annotated Screenplays that's exactly what happened. Really though, Brackett's work is fairly close until the third act when they diverge completely.

Major differences include:

Luke DOESN'T learn that Darth Vader is his father and does not lose a hand.

"Lando Ashandi" is a leftover clone from the Clone Wars and gets killed in the end.

Han DOESN'T get frozen in carbonite. Instead he leaves to go find his stepfather, a shipping company head that the Alliance desperately needs.

Luke openly breaks up with Leia in the end. In the final draft, their relationship is still unresolved and Luke probably isn't even aware that there is a love triangle now.

Pretty much everything that people love about ESB was actually introduced in the 2nd and 3rd drafts (both written by George, uncredited). What Kasdan did was essentially a really big dialogue polish.

TravisR likes this.
  19. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    ijthompson, Sam Posten and SamT like this.
  20. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

But will the mixes be Theatrical mixes not near-field mixes, well included both to please as I won't theatrical and original not the remixed Return of the Jedi CAV THX with dialogue pans centered as that takes me out of the film. Glad I have early CBS/FOX laserdisc.