What's new

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Brandon Conway said:
All evidence of the recent digital and upcoming Blu-ray re-issues is that Disney and Fox are in lockstep when it comes to releasing these films. I doubt these last releases would've happened if the lawyers hadn't already figured out the percentages of revenue each company gets with each type of release/licensing for now until 2020 when 5 & 6 revert to Lucasfilm.

There's nothing to sort out with the current releases as Fox have an agreement with Lucasfilm which precedes the Disney buyout and won't expire for several more years, hence the lack of Disney's fingerprints on these impending re-releases. Fox's deal clearly doesn't cover new formats which is why Disney were able to finagle the digital releases out of it, save for Ep IV which Fox can distribute in perpetuity (a separate deal which covers any and all delivery systems now and in the future, hence Fox still keeping the streaming rights for Ep IV while the others went to Disney, otherwise that "in perpetuity" deal would've been useless past a certain date).

As Steve said upthread, it wouldn't be surprising if Disney made Fox an offer they couldn't refuse to buy them out of their distribution deal for Ep IV when the time comes, although it's not like the two companies have never worked together on a home video boxset. Here in Europe the third Die Hard movie is distributed by Disney (via Touchstone) while the others are Fox, natch, and we've had complete Die Hard boxsets for years. Even if Fox stubbornly hold on to the distribution to Ep IV post-2020 they can licence out the movie for a fee for any physical media boxset, something for which all the donkey work (design, replication, distribution etc) would be done by LFL/Disney so it'd be tantamount to free money for Fox.

It's simply not worth worrying about IMO. One way or another, we're not going to get boxsets which have 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9 (etc) while Fox slunk off and release 4 on its own.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Salacious Ackbar said:
Sorry, but most fans who want the original theatrical versions are in the minority. The current Blu-ray's have sold millions of copies and are some of the best selling catalog titles on the format. The same thing happened with the DVD releases. I've always found this argument to be pretty silly anyway. The films are largely unchanged and are the filmmakers preferred versions and those wishes should be respected.
trap.png

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
A top notch transfer of the original theatrical release of the original trilogy is the only way I purchase this set over again! If the special edition of the original trilogy comes out on 4K/UHD I will not purchase it! I already own it on 1080p blu-ray and I prefer the original theatrical before Lucas butchered it so the only way I buy Star Wars IV-VI is if it is the original theatrical release!!!! If it is released on UHD/4K I am buying it even if it is over priced!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
We used to get these guys popping up over at OT, (before the Episode 7 sites drew them away like moths) they always sound like they're reading from the same script.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
It has always amazed me that long before Disney ever acquired the rights to the Star Wars films from George Lucas, that old George never decided to accede to the demands of so many who helped him become so wealthy, by granting their collective wish that the original Star Wars be made available in the exact version that first excited fans back in 1977. Mr Lucas, never having done that, seemed to be displaying not only a lack of gratitude to his creation's most loyal supporters, but also, a lack of respect for his own creation, which, after all, had generated the huge interest in his work, in the first place. To me, the whole thing is just plain weird.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It is a crime against cinema that the movie Star Wars, the version nominated for all those Oscars back in 1978, can no longer be seen. The film we have now was not nominated for any of those awards. It's wrong not to have an unaltered archival version of the movie the way it was originally *released*. I have no problem with Lucas or anyone else tinkering all they want with their art. But the original version of a work, once *published*, should remain accessible that way, in addition to whatever else might be released later. And there is no argument anyone can give me that will ever make me think otherwise.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
Mike Boone said:
It has always amazed me that long before Disney ever acquired the rights to the Star Wars films from George Lucas, that old George never decided to accede to the demands of so many who helped him become so wealthy, by granting their collective wish that the original Star Wars be made available in the exact version that first excited fans back in 1977. Mr Lucas, never having done that, seemed to be displaying not only a lack of gratitude to his creation's most loyal supporters, but also, a lack of respect for his own creation, which, after all, had generated the huge interest in his work, in the first place. To me, the whole thing is just plain weird.

An artist is under no obligation to anyone, besides him or herself. You are not entitled to anything. This sense of entitlement is hilarious, but also disturbing and a sign of the "gimme gimme" culture we live in.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
SilverWook said:
We used to get these guys popping up over at OT, (before the Episode 7 sites drew them away like moths) they always sound like they're reading from the same script.

As if the constant bashing of Lucas hasn't become a parody of itself over the last two decades. The same mindless drivel from the same petulant children, who happen to be grown ups, unfortunately, making it all the more ridiculous.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The owners can of course release what they wish of their product (Disney now rather than George), but there's also something to be said for giving a loyal audience what they want.

Also, George wasn't the first filmmaker to alter his films several years later (Chaplin comes to mind), and he won't be the last. But at least now he's not the one that needs convincing, and I just cannot see a future wherein Disney leaves a sure moneymaker on the shelf. I mean, just getting everything properly scanned at 4k and archived digitally is something they should do anyway for any future release. That's just common sense for any IP you invest $4 billion in. Producing restored versions of all the variable cuts is simply smart forward thinking.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
Brandon Conway said:
The owners can of course release what they wish of their product (Disney now rather than George), but there's also something to be said for giving a loyal audience what they want.

Also, George wasn't the first filmmaker to alter his films several years later (Chaplin comes to mind), and he won't be the last. But at least now he's not the one that needs convincing, and I just cannot see a future wherein Disney leaves a sure moneymaker on the shelf. I mean, just getting everything properly scanned at 4k and archived digitally is something they should do anyway for any future release. That's just common sense for any IP you invest $4 billion in. Producing restored versions of all the variable cuts is simply smart forward thinking.

You mean the same "loyal" fans who rant and rave at everything he's done any chance they get? Not sure how loyal they are or why Lucas should care. Either way, when an artist sells out to his audience and no longer releases art that he/she is proud for the sole purpose of pleasing the fans, then that's thei end of their artistic integrity. Disney is doing that. There's a massive lack of creativity going on at Disney, the same that will eventually drive the Marvel properties into the ground and have already begun the downward spiral with bland uncreative films that have more in common with big budget television being projected on theater screens. Lucas was a true innovator and artist and refused to bow down to what his "fans" expected, the exact opposite of what Disney has done thus far, right down to the "practical effects" nonsense that is just plain incorrect.

Maybe you'll get the original versions in 2020. Maybe not. I think you overestimate how big a seller these would be. Most people who want Star Wars on Blu-ray have already bought the current releases and most either don't care or prefer the updated versions and have accepted them. Like Lucas claimed, eventually his final versions will be the definitive ones and the only ones available legally. Which is great for an artist to regain that much control over his art. The vocal minority online is just that, whether you would like to believe it or not.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Salacious Ackbar said:
Maybe you'll get the original versions in 2020. Maybe not. I think you overestimate how big a seller these would be.

Maybe, maybe not. Neither we nor you know that.

Most people who want Star Wars on Blu-ray have already bought the current releases and most either don't care or prefer the updated versions and have accepted them.

I bought the current Blu-rays. But that's that. The only time I will buy again are the unaltered versions, because I prefer these.

The perfect edition with different versions of a film is the BLADE RUNNER-set from 2008.

Although Ridley Scott prefers his version (Final Cut), 'cause he knows many fans prefer one of the earlier versions, they (he and Warner's) put together this set.

I wish Lucas has had and Disney will have the same wisdom.

Pardon if some of my English is not perfect. I hope you get it anyway. ;)

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
AshJW said:
The perfect edition with different versions of a film is the BLADE RUNNER-set from 2008.

Although Ridley Scott prefers his version (Final Cut), 'cause he knows many fans prefer one of the earlier versions, they (he and Warner's) put together this set.

I wish Lucas has had and Disney will have the same wisdom.

Pardon if some of my English is not perfect. I hope you get it anyway. ;)

I understand.

There are sales figures for the current Blu-ray's which are among the best selling catalog titles on the format, so obviously there are millions of people who are fine with the updated versions, don't see what the big deal is, or are indifferent. You have purely speculation based on a vocal minority of the fan base.

I was looking back through the thread and some somewhat hostile posts directed towards the new re-released Blu-ray's timed to coincide with The Force Awakens. Clearly, these Blu-ray's are not aimed at people who have already bought them and no one is forcing anyone to buy them again. I always find that funny when people complain about re-releases of films they already own. As if the studio is shoving it down your throat. You may continue to wait for the original versions, if they ever happen, but the continous vitriol gets tired and does no one any good. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Salacious Ackbar said:
I have sales figures for the current Blu-ray's which are among the best selling catalog titles on the format, so obviously there are millions of people who are fine with the updated versions, don't see what the big deal is, or are indifferent. You have purely speculation based on a vocal minority of the fan base.
Of course, the vast majority of people prefer or at least don't care if they watch the SEs. It's silly to suggest otherwise but it would be equally silly to suggest that there aren't people who prefer the original versions of the movies. It's a far smaller number but it's still big enough to make Disney some money.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Salacious Ackbar said:
An artist is under no obligation to anyone, besides him or herself. You are not entitled to anything. This sense of entitlement is hilarious, but also disturbing and a sign of the "gimme gimme" culture we live in.

I agree that the fans of Star Wars do not have entitlement, however, my point is that since the devoted fans of Star Wars are responsible for adding so much to the wealth of George Lucas, the man could have shown that he was truly grateful for that support by simply granting their wish to make an edition of the original Star Wars available to them. That would simply have been a case of someone showing basic respect for people who had helped make his huge success possible for him.

And, BTW, I'm not even a big fan of Star Wars. None of the 6 Star Wars flicks are among the 664 movies we have on Blu-ray. In fact, the only one of the 6 movies that we own is Attack of the Clones, the DVD of which, my step son got me as a gift, years ago, because I had a new DLP HDTV at the time, and my step son figured that a movie that was shot digitally might look particularly good on a 1080p DLP TV.

Though the original Star Wars was the big blockbuster of 1977, both my wife and I much prefer 1977's other major sci-fi film, Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
TravisR said:
Of course, the vast majority of people prefer or at least don't care if they watch the SEs. It's silly to suggest otherwise but it would be equally silly to suggest that there aren't people who prefer the original versions of the movies. It's a far smaller number but it's still big enough to make Disney some money.

That's hardly the argument used by most of these people. If you would believe them, there are hundreds of milions of dollars just waiting to be made by releasing the original versions. I'm not doubting that there are a fair number of people who prefer those versions, but they are in the minority, however vocal they might be.

For the record, I would buy the original versions too, though I prefer the proper versions. But I'm a bit of a collector and like to have all of the versions of these films. :)

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
Mike Boone said:
I agree that the fans of Star Wars do not have entitlement, however, my point is that since the devoted fans of Star Wars are responsible for adding so much to the wealth of George Lucas, the man could have shown that he was truly grateful for that support by simply granting their wish to make an edition of the original Star Wars available to them. That would simply have been a case of someone showing basic respect for people who had helped make his huge success possible for him.

And, BTW, I'm not even a big fan of Star Wars. None of the 6 Star Wars flicks are among the 664 movies we have on Blu-ray. In fact, the only one of the 6 movies that we own is Attack of the Clones, the DVD of which, my step son got me as a gift, years ago, because I had a new DLP HDTV at the time, and my step son figured that a movie that was shot digitally might look particularly good on a 1080p DLP TV.

Though the original Star Wars was the big blockbuster of 1977, both my wife and I much prefer 1977's other major sci-fi film, Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

This is a pretty silly argument. There would be no audience for the film without the film created by Lucas. As paying members of the audience, you have no ownership over the films aside from the right to watch the films by purchasing a ticket or a copy of the film. You can't expect artists to bow down to the demands of their admirers. Imagine a famous painter changing the color of a skyline in a painting because a few of his admirers don't like the color he used originally. It's absurd.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Salacious Ackbar said:
Please. If you can't or won't engage in discussion, fine, but limiting yourself to direct insults is unnecessary.

You're the one that suddenly joined this forum yesterday, have only posted in this thread, and have consistently used a fairly argumentative tone in your posts thus far. Seems kinda trollish to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks