What's new

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mark VH said:
For the record, if everyone arguing that issuing the original trilogy on Blu-ray is important to "preserving cinematic history" actually cared that much about preserving cinematic history, they would find other ways to do so (there are plenty of them). Just saying.

That said, I held off on the first Blu-ray release, and would buy the unaltered versions in a second.
I have thought about this, i won't buy the original unaltered versions, seeing matte lines around everything again, especially in The Empire Strikes Back would be a nuisance, i hope they do 4k film scans and archive the original trilogy but i sure won't buy them, i'm actually happy with the altered editions, i would be happier still if they removed the Jabba scene in the original, had Han shoot first, removed Darth going back to the Star Destroyer ( line and shot ) at the end of Empire, removed the noooooo from Vader at the end of Jedi, and probably a few other things but i am happy they fixed up the effects work.

I say i'm happy but only to an extent, i would prefer brand new 4K film scans and a more consistent film look with less static grain from the Lowry process, i'd like Disney to do an ultimate edition for 2017, fix everything properly, lightsaber colours, effects work, offer the original unaltered editions to the fans from new 4K scans, offer the 97 and 2011 editions via seamless branching, i don't think seamless branching would work with the original editions due to the extensive changes in music cues and footage.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
HDvision said:
This is how the OT looks on the DVD (direct rip)

goutstluke.jpg

This is how an old print of Star Wars looks on a recent 35mm unauthorised screening. (snapped off the screen)

:)
The original, non-anamprophic DVDs released are a disaster; over-brightned in most scenes, too pink skintones, very heavy video noise, strong aliasing, etc. I just cannot watch them as much as I prefer the originals.

The Blu-rays, while not the originals and not up to the quality of better 4K sourced transfers from the era (such as Blade Runner, Jaws, Raiders, Alien, etc.) are still pretty decent PQ and a lot of scenes show very good detail and contrast. I rather watch the movies this way even if not originals. Also, the audio is good on these too. However, with that said, I would love to see these re-done as new scans whether or not we get the original although keeping fingers crossed we do. :)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Dave H said:
The original, non-anamprophic DVDs released are a disaster; over-brightned in most scenes, too pink skintones, very heavy video noise, strong aliasing, etc. I just cannot watch them as much as I prefer the originals.
I can't speak to the skin tones - I think they are fine while the '04 editions are too pink. But the rest, yeah. On top of that, Lucasfilm ran all the movies through some sort of software that caused a strobing ghost like trail when objects moved against a contrasting background (like bright white stormtroopers running against the deathstar's dark gray corridors). It was some kind of "softening" effect that was always very noticeable on the original THX LD release. It's still there on the non-anamorphic DVDs too.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Joel Fontenot said:
I can't speak to the skin tones - I think they are fine while the '04 editions are too pink. But the rest, yeah. On top of that, Lucasfilm ran all the movies through some sort of software that caused a strobing ghost like trail when objects moved against a contrasting background (like bright white stormtroopers running against the deathstar's dark gray corridors). It was some kind of "softening" effect that was always very noticeable on the original THX LD release. It's still there on the non-anamorphic DVDs too.
Even the skintones on the Blu-rays with A New Hope, for example, in some scenes take on a strange dark reddish look. In some scenes, they look fine, but others take on this look. True, you don't see this as much on the original DVD, but instead deal with those other issues. And, yes, there are some really weird artifacts on those DVDs.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Sam Favate said:
The best example of collecting multiple versions of a film is, IMO, the Close Encounters blu-ray, which contains three versions of the movie on one disc. Exactly what should be done with the trilogy -- the original theatrical versions, the '97 editions and the 2004/2011 editions. I realize there are other minor details that might be lost (Star Wars 1979 re-release with "Episode IV" in the titles, the changes between the '04 and '11 versions) but I think that's a reasonable approach to present an historical document of the evolution of these movies.

BTW, since this thread is based on assumptions (correct ones IMO) that come from Disney's ownership of Lucasfilm, can we also assume that we've seen the last bit of tinkering with the films? Does anyone expect to see further changes to the original trilogy?

And while I think of it, let me add that any future ultimate box set of the films should include all the deleted scenes, including those that were exclusive to the prequel films' DVD release. Some good stuff there that never migrated to blu-ray. Also, Empire of Dreams needs a blu-ray release, as does The Making of a Saga, SPFX: ESB, and the Jedi making-of special.
All the vintage making of docs except Making of a Saga were on the Blu Ray set. They were were sourced from crappy ancient analog video masters, as usual.

The e-book versions of J.W. Rinzler's books on the making of the original films are going to have all new bonus content from the vaults.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Joel Fontenot said:
They DNR'ed those masters back in the day. Seems to be a running theme with home video transfers of Star Wars.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Mark VH said:
For the record, if everyone arguing that issuing the original trilogy on Blu-ray is important to "preserving cinematic history" actually cared that much about preserving cinematic history, they would find other ways to do so (there are plenty of them). Just saying.

That said, I held off on the first Blu-ray release, and would buy the unaltered versions in a second.
Who's to say that they aren't? There are a lot of fans working in the industry today because they saw the originals as a kid.

Not to mention the ones scrounging up film prints that somehow escaped George's grasp, and building telecine units in their basement. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
The e-book versions of J.W. Rinzler's books on the making of the original films are going to have all new bonus content from the vaults.

The pre-order price on the e-book versions is only $18 each. Given how great those books are and how low the price is, I can't recommend them enough to anyone who is even remotely interested in how they make movies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
SilverWook said:
All the vintage making of docs except Making of a Saga were on the Blu Ray set. They were were sourced from crappy ancient analog video masters, as usual.
Sorry, I meant to say that those specials and 1977's Making of Star Wars should be cleaned up and made suitable for blu-ray, just like the bonus material from the prequel DVDs. Which I know is unlikely to happen.

At a minimum, Empire of Dreams should be in HD.

RInzler's books are terrific - including his Indiana Jones book - and I'm looking forward to the ROTJ book. However, the bonus material for the e-books should be made available to those of us who have supported the pricey hardcovers over the years.

Mark VH

Second Unit
SilverWook said:
Who's to say that they aren't? There are a lot of fans working in the industry today because they saw the originals as a kid.

Not to mention the ones scrounging up film prints that somehow escaped George's grasp, and building telecine units in their basement. ;)
Not saying the two are mutually exclusive. Just saying that a lot of the people who care about "preserving film history" probably just want to own Blu-rays of the originals, and don't actually care all that much about film history. If they did, they'd find other ways to support it rather than spending time on message boards demanding the original Star Wars films be released. To me it would be more honest to say "I care about film history, but really I just don't want to have to deal with these crappy altered versions any more."

Personally, I care very much about preserving cinematic history, and have bought many DVDs and Blus of classic films because I want to support their continued release. I've also donated to various restoration projects and organizations. But that's not why I want the original Star Wars films on Blu. I want them because I want to watch them, and I don't want to have to deal with the crappy altered versions any more. No harm in that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I love the first 2 films and tolerate Jedi.

The prequels dont exists to me, and considering JJ Abrams involvement, I really have no interest in the newer films

However, give me the first 3 films unaltered from their original versions, and they can have my money.

Id love to have the non-SE version of Empire on bluray.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Having listened to that interview with Rinzler, I really wonder how much new material is being included with the e-books.
He does mention having audio of the ADR sessions with Alec Guinness, which is the first I've heard of that.
But then he talks about a gag reel for Star Wars - I think we've seen this material already, with the compiled gag reel on the trilogy DVD set. Maybe there's more bloopers.
He talks about a rough cut of the Hoth Battle scene using animatics and including the death of General Veers. Except that we've seen these animatics before, albeit not in one complete pass. And the death of Veers was one of the deleted scenes included on the Blu-ray set.
He talks about some on-set video from the Crescent City shoot for Jedi.

I'd be more interested in him attaching the various drafts of the various scripts that he referenced in the books, along with the outlines.
I'd be interested in the actual audio and/or video of the various conferences and set situations he describes at various times - particularly the on-set discussions during Empire.
I'd be interested if he had material about the post-production on Empire, and maybe how they were all dealing with the lawsuits over Battlestar Galactica.

But I strongly doubt that kind of thing is included. I'll wait to see. If there's really a treasure trove of interesting material, then I could be persuaded to pick this up. If it's just a few snippets to add to what is already a series of comprehensive volumes, then I would have no problem just staying with the hardcover books and calling it a day.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
If it's just a few snippets to add to what is already a series of comprehensive volumes, then I would have no problem just staying with the hardcover books and calling it a day.
Yeah, I'm guessing the new content isn't anything that major so I have no plans to rebuy them as e-books either but for those that don't already have the print versions, $18 is a great price.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Weird that they would repress the older DVD's now, especially since they aren't the current "official" versions of the films anymore.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
They probably don't even need to repress them....this is probably just a way to clear out a warehouse full of unsold DVDs and BDs ahead of losing the rights. I wish they'd release a Blu-ray 3D prequel trilogy set. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks