What's new

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kevin EK said:
Again, we're not going to get into a debate about how a fan working at home on a personal project can somehow be equated with a professional restoration team led by someone like RAH. Because there simply is no basis for that debate. It's like debating whether the sun revolves around the Earth.
I would say we are already in that debate, why do you bring up RAH and restoration, this isn't someone handling film content, this discussion, on those Star Wars fans, revolves around putting back scenes removed, putting the original audio back in and correcting colour issues, the latter is something the professionals with all their state of the art equipment failed to do.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, it's not a debate. A fan at home is not the same as a professional team. RAH is a professional restoration expert, and I would think it's perfectly clear why that would be an example of such.

Now, getting back to whether Lucasfilm will be releasing the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy in HD, I still say that this will likely happen as bonuses on new Blu-ray single movie editions, but not until Episode VII debuts, whether that be in late 2015 or May 2016. In the end, I think most fans will be happy with the results, but if this thread has shown anything, it's that the release may never be enough.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kevin EK said:
Malcolm, it's not a debate. A fan at home is not the same as a professional team. RAH is a professional restoration expert, and I would think it's perfectly clear why that would be an example of such.

Now, getting back to whether Lucasfilm will be releasing the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy in HD, I still say that this will likely happen as bonuses on new Blu-ray single movie editions, but not until Episode VII debuts, whether that be in late 2015 or May 2016. In the end, I think most fans will be happy with the results, but if this thread has shown anything, it's that the release may never be enough.
I don't believe the Star Wars negatives need restoration, i think they are stored and available, i think the work on those was done years ago even if they didn't tell us, thus i do not see why you bring RAH and restoration into this debate.

A fan at home can have access to very sophisticated equipment, some of it can be as good as the professionals use and, as already said ,when it comes to digital files there is no loss of detail so they can perfect everything and do just as good a job as the so called professional as long as they have access to high quality files.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, you're certainly entitled to have your opinion, but this is not a debatable matter. It's a matter of established fact. And as we established, just having sophisticated software and equipment does not make a fan a restoration expert or a professional color timer. If everyone could do these things just by having the equipment, there would be no need for training, schools or professional experience. That's why it's not fair to the fans to put them into a direct comparison with professional teams. And that doesn't even touch the problem of distributing your homemade version of someone else's copyrighted work.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kevin EK said:
Malcolm, you're certainly entitled to have your opinion, but this is not a debatable matter. It's a matter of established fact. And as we established, just having sophisticated software and equipment does not make a fan a restoration expert or a professional color timer. If everyone could do these things just by having the equipment, there would be no need for training, schools or professional experience. That's why it's not fair to the fans to put them into a direct comparison with professional teams. And that doesn't even touch the problem of distributing your homemade version of someone else's copyrighted work.
I don't think we are on the same page here, i'm not suggesting that anyone distribute another person's work and nor am i suggesting anyone can do restoration work ala film, now colour timing, that is a debate we could very well get into because in my opinion it's highly controversial what some of the professionals have done to certain films which you and i can buy on blu ray.

I think some of these people do work in the business, they had training and they use alternative names to disguise themselves.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
As I said, professionals do not tamper with other professionals' work, unless they've specifically been hired to do so. It just doesn't happen. And citing Soderberg's lark of playing with Heaven's Gate doesn't change that. From what I'm seeing, the fans who have done these edits are using alternative names because they know that what they're doing is troublesome for them, including exposing them to legal action.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kevin EK said:
As I said, professionals do not tamper with other professionals' work, unless they've specifically been hired to do so. It just doesn't happen.
Or they are moonlighting incognito, you cannot say it never happens, you do not know for sure.

It's legally and morally wrong to alter another person's work, they know that so they are not going to say they work in the business as this would mean they lose their job, i don't think anyone can say without a shadow of a doubt that it doesn't happen.

Anyway that is my opinion, we are going around in circles so you can have the last word now. :D

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Because the Star Wars negatives are in such a state of disarray and not worth the bother, Disney is secretly re-photographing all the films using their Disney Channel All Stars cast. Selena Gomez as Princess Leia! A Disney Princess! There will be "a little bit of singing," but other than that, the movies will be faithful to the original photography!

gizzy2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Something I noticed was that Bill Hunt mentioned that Fox owns the original Star Wars film. I'm damn near positive that Lucasfilm owns that too, and if you look on the VHS and DVD boxes as well as at the end credits, you'll see that Star Wars is in fact a trademark of Lucasfilm Limited. I believe Lucas got the original film in a deal for Fox in exchange for giving them distribution rights for the prequels. I don't want to come across as someone who thinks they know all of this (because I have ZERO inside information), but I'm 99.99% sure that Lucasfilm owns Star Wars (77) as well, Fox just has perpetual distribution rights.http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/03/business/fi-35475That's an article from 1998.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Because the Star Wars negatives are in such a state of disarray and not worth the bother, Disney is secretly re-photographing all the films using their Disney Channel All Stars cast. Selena Gomez as Princess Leia! A Disney Princess! There will be "a little bit of singing," but other than that, the movies will be faithful to the original photography!
If it doesn't have "The Biebs" as Han Solo, I'm not watching it...

God I almost puked while typing that. :rolling-smiley:

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Worth said:
I'd say it's more like they're un-tampering...
Where it's not their right to do so. Just because you have the capability and the inclination, does not give you the right to take someone else's work and impose your vision on it, even if, for the sake of argument, you are doing something that the majority will like.

Just put yourself in the shoes of a creator for a moment, and imagine that other people begin changing something you created, without your permission. Monetary gain or loss is not even the issue, it's the fact that someone else has decided to alter your work without your consent, and then mass distribute it, while being cheered on by the "fans". Now I'm not sure what kind of upside down world the fans live in, but I find it disturbing that this sort of mob mentality is becoming prevalent in the way creative works are viewed in modern society.

If these fans are so talented, so motivated, have so much time on their hands to alter someone else's work, wouldn't it be better put towards creating their own original works? Or would that be asking too much of them?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
This whole conversation is stupid. Can we go back to the topic at hand?

Would Disney and Fox be able to hammer out a deal for the OOT? Dunno. WB and FOX were at odds with the 1966 Batman for the longest (and FOX OWNED the show outright and all the film elements). Plus, before WB made the official announcement, there were a lot rumors floating around, all of which were as filmsy and unsubstantiated as the recent Star Wars one.

I'm just saying anything is possible.

Also, Lucas didn't make the OOT unavailable on DVD, he just didn't put any money into the presentation. For him to block Disney for releasing the OOT on Blu, he'd have to take a more extreme stance than he did in 2006, but also be able to forbid Disney from spending any money on the original films. Also possible, but likely?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Coincidentally, I just finished watching Alexandre O. Phillips' 2010 [sic] documentary The People vs. George Lucas...simply hoping for a little insight into the meta issues concerning the restoration and preservation of the Star Wars OOT.

Hoo-boy, what a cesspool of bile...I felt continuously assaulted by its really ugly, unhinged, and rather scary tone...like some bitter ex on a vengeful rampage. I mean, look no further than the poster art:
rvgf6M8xjnJSyMGgJph6CoT7llD.jpg

What were they thinking? How could such unrelenting character assassination possibly be productive, much less persuasive? But a better question might be: what does it ultimately say about the mental and emotional states of the [sic] fans profiled here? The whole thing just played as some kind of weird Jerry Springer-style wallow in the muck...you know, one of those screaming mimi shows where you just want to see them all committed. Nobody came off looking good here...especially the fans.

If this is what George Lucas has been up against for the last 20 years or so, no firkin wonder he's pulled back entirely...I need a shower.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
ROclockCK said:
Coincidentally, I just finished watching Alexandre O. Phillips' 2010 [sic] documentary The People vs. George Lucas...simply hoping for a little insight into the meta issues concerning the restoration and preservation of the Star Wars OOT.

Hoo-boy, what a cesspool of bile...I felt continuously assaulted by its really ugly, unhinged, and rather scary tone...like some bitter ex on a vengeful rampage. I mean, look no further than the poster art:
rvgf6M8xjnJSyMGgJph6CoT7llD.jpg

What were they thinking? How could such unrelenting character assassination possibly be productive, much less persuasive? But a better question might be: what does it ultimately say about the mental and emotional states of the [sic] fans profiled here? The whole thing just played as some kind of weird Jerry Springer-style wallow in the muck...you know, one of those screaming mimi shows where you just want to see them all committed. Nobody came off looking good here...especially the fans.

If this is what George Lucas has been up against for the last 20 years or so, no firkin wonder he's pulled back entirely...I need a shower.
I totally agree, but damn, it sure is funny! :lol:

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
ROclockCK said:
Great example. I used to be one of those people who ridiculed George Lucas, partly because I don't like many of the changes in the Special Editions, and partly because it was the done thing for Star Wars fans.

What ultimately changed my mind is that I came to view Lucas with some empathy, imagining what it would be like to be under constant scrutiny, and inevitably, constant second-guessing, for every aspect of your creative work. Just try to conceive what it would be like if every major piece of work you did in your life was analyzed and criticized by millions of people, and more importantly, in a very puerile and vitriolic manner.

That Lucas has managed to maintain even a semblance of sanity throughout this is nothing short of amazing. Yes, he's an uber-rich guy, but it must be soul crushing to have to constantly deal with Star Wars fans for almost 40 years, the last 20 of which has been a largely antagonistic experience.

Let's all try to remember that Star Wars is just a piece of entertainment, created largely (and yes, I know, arguably) through the vision of one man. He doesn't always get things right, but a little bit of respect and an adult attitude towards the whole thing would not go astray. Who knows, maybe if fans just tone down the hate and just ask (ask, not demand) nicely for the OT on Blu, it may happen sooner rather than later. It certainly can't hurt to be nice to the man who gave the world Star Wars.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Persianimmortal said:
That Lucas has managed to maintain even a semblance of sanity throughout this is nothing short of amazing. Yes, he's an uber-rich guy, but it must be soul crushing to have to constantly deal with Star Wars fans for almost 40 years, the last 20 of which has been a largely antagonistic experience.
He must be well aware of the hate on the internet but I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of people that he runs into when he's getting coffee or at dinner, etc. are grown men that are super stoked or are nearly in tears because they're seeing George Lucas in person and it's a weird but relatively pleasant experience. I'm sure he's had the occasional asshole who rants and raves about the prequels or the SEs but I'd imagine that the bulk of fans- even most of the ones who can't stop saying how they hate him when they're online- would be cool to his face if they saw him.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
TravisR said:
He must be well aware of the hate on the internet but I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of people that he runs into when he's getting coffee or at dinner, etc. are grown men that are super stoked or are nearly in tears because they're seeing George Lucas in person. I'm sure he's had the occasional asshole who rants and raves about the prequels or the SEs but I'd imagine that the bulk of fans- even most of the ones who can't stop saying how they hate him when they're online- would be cool to his face if they saw him.
I hear he's started carrying a lightsabre with him.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
TravisR said:
He must be well aware of the hate on the internet but I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of people that he runs into when he's getting coffee or at dinner, etc. are grown men that are super stoked or are nearly in tears because they're seeing George Lucas in person and it's a weird but relatively pleasant experience. I'm sure he's had the occasional asshole who rants and raves about the prequels or the SEs but I'd imagine that the bulk of fans- even most of the ones who can't stop saying how they hate him when they're online- would be cool to his face if they saw him.
True, but it's human nature to give more weight to our critics than our supporters. We also tend to give more credence to discussions behind our back than to our faces, as the former is more likely to be honest than the latter. It's true that most people are nice to celebrities, even terrible ones, when they meet them. I once met Tori Spelling outside a nightclub in Los Angeles. I was very polite to her, she was very polite to me. My mind was saying "You're a talentless hack propped up by your father's money and influence", but my expression and words were the exact opposite :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks