What's new

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Dave MJ said:
Disney will revisit them one way or another because the DVD and Blu Ray versions only exist as 1080p digital masters. If they want 4k masters they will have to re-scan the negatives (probably at 8k), re-render all of the effects created for those versions and do a new cleanup and color grade. The 1997 SE versions exist as film negatives, but it doesn't seem likely they will want to go back to those versions. They will need to scan the original, unaltered negatives and re-render the CGI effects in 4k. So it makes sense that they would make 4k masters of the original versions at the same time.
Why would they need to scan 35mm negatives at 8K resoltution? As for re-doing the effects at 4K, I doubt it. I don't think Cameron redid the effects for TITANIC 3-D at 4K, for example.

Vincent

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Vincent_P said:
Why would they need to scan 35mm negatives at 8K resoltution? As for re-doing the effects at 4K, I doubt it. I don't think Cameron redid the effects for TITANIC 3-D at 4K, for example.

Vincent
I'm just saying if they want a 4K ultra HD master they will have to re-scan at some point. Doesn't have to be 6k or 8k but that would make sense for a future proof digital negative. It's what WB has been doing with their high profile films. Lucas was very short sighted in that he only scanned and finished the DVD/blu ray versions at 1080p so they would match the digitally shot prequels.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
FoxyMulder said:
Yes but the whole point is that for Episode 3 they added film grain to make it look more film like and less digital, for the Phantom Menace they degrained to make it look more digital and less film like, i don't get the logic, surely if they wanted smoother and a digital look then they wouldn't have bothered adding in film grain for part 3, no for me i think Phanton Menace looks the way it does because they used a master intended for the 3D conversion, nothing else makes sense and when 4K monitors are all the rage they will redo all of them and upscale the digital shot last 2 films.
None of the prequel films exist in a completed form on film. Episode 1 was shot on film, but all post production was done at 2k digital resolution. I'm unaware of any degraining done to the original masters of this film. It was likely unneeded, as the film was shot with anamorphic lenses using the full academy aperture of the film. With the film stock available in 1999, its likely the grain was all but invisible in the direct transfer from the negatives to 2k video.

Episodes 2 and 3 were both shot digitally at 1080p on Sony cameras. I saw both films projected digitally on a 55 foot screen and believe me no grain was added to them. They were smooth as silk.

Doug

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has there ever been any word on it? It's all been speculation.

So here's my speculation: in 2015 Disney will release the "Oh For Crying Out Loud! Shut Yur Yaps Edition." These will be the original trilogies as theatrically released.

Unfortunately, the source will be bootleg beta tapes. The blu-rays will be so loaded with copy protection they only play on 1 out of 10 blu-ray players. The trilogy will be priced at $149, but that includes the Christmas Star Wars.

Psst! Disney! I've got a beta vcr just gathering dust if you need it. :P

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
".. with a bunch of matte lines and other glaring problems quite visible."Who cares? I mean who cares if there are some "issues" with the original trilogy in HD. The whole point is that we don't want Lucas-ish perfection or smooth (yet lifeless) cgi with the original trilogy. We just want them just as they were back in the days in the movie theatres (no more, no less).Is this really so hard to understand? Really? You have your "perfect versions" by Lucas. Now we want those less-perfect versions.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Actually, there is a slightly left-of-center version that I think many people want -- that is, the original films as we remember them, with no added scenes, changed dialogue, or goddamn dancers in Jabba's Palace, but with things like matte lines and magic marker effects corrected. That would make a lot of old-timers happy, and it would ensure the longevity of the original versions, as kids (today and tomorrow) wouldn't look at them and balk "Yeah, but all those matte lines and boxes are distracting!"

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Sam Favate said:
Actually, there is a slightly left-of-center version that I think many people want -- that is, the original films as we remember them, with no added scenes, changed dialogue, or goddamn dancers in Jabba's Palace, but with things like matte lines and magic marker effects corrected. That would make a lot of old-timers happy, and it would ensure the longevity of the original versions, as kids (today and tomorrow) wouldn't look at them and balk "Yeah, but all those matte lines and boxes are distracting!"
Sam, that's what I was thinking, too.

A sort of 'original, but just tidied up a bit' version, a little like they did with parts of Blade Runner.

It's been changed so many times I don't know how many versions of Star Wars there are now, but a release of the original film in its completely unaltered state, together with this 'tidied up' version should really put a lid on it.

Steve W

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Yorkshire said:
Sam, that's what I was thinking, too.

A sort of 'original, but just tidied up a bit' version, a little like they did with parts of Blade Runner.

It's been changed so many times I don't know how many versions of Star Wars there are now, but a release of the original film in its completely unaltered state, together with this 'tidied up' version should really put a lid on it.

Steve W
I'm good with that but the reality is that unless it is really cheap, like $25 or less I won't be buying it because I can't see spending more money on a set of movies that I like only a modest amount. I am old enough to have seen the OT in the theaters during their initial runs and I care (maybe more of a preference) but not too much when it comes to cost.

I found it funny as I was watching Empire the other night, that people kept talking about the line "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" and I didn't know where that line was or what the big deal was. Then at the end of the movie when it happened I was like "Wow, that was terrible and very jarring. No wonder fans want it changed back to the original."

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chuck Anstey said:
I found it funny as I was watching Empire the other night, that people kept talking about the line "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" and I didn't know where that line was or what the big deal was. Then at the end of the movie when it happened I was like "Wow, that was terrible and very jarring. No wonder fans want it changed back to the original."
That's an awful change, i detest that line.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
"Bring my shuttle" was delivered perfectly by JEJ to convey the anger that Vader felt over his son's apparent preference for death over joining his father. It conveyed equal parts anger, disappointment, and still maintained the "I'm the bada$$ boss" tone that Vader was famous for.

What kills me is that Lucas's justification, that the line be changed because he actually wanted to insert the shot of the shuttle going to the Death Star, was completely ludicrous. Because "Bring my shuttle" does just that, and much more.

That, and Greedo shooting first, are the two unforgivable changes to me. With regards to other changes I range from ambivalence to dislike, but those two really showed me that GL had no concept of the importance of both of those events as they were originally filmed.

Jay*W

Second Unit
The other very offputting change to me, aside from the Greedo debacle, is that Tatooine (especially Mos Eisley) is now teeming with activity. Isn't the desolate nature of Tatooine the primary reason that Luke wants to get off the planet in the first place and at least one reason that Ben is safely in seclusion there (the other being to monitor Luke, I guess)?

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Jay*W said:
The other very offputting change to me, aside from the Greedo debacle, is that Tatooine (especially Mos Eisley) is now teeming with activity. Isn't the desolate nature of Tatooine the primary reason that Luke wants to get off the planet in the first place and at least one reason that Ben is safely in seclusion there (the other being to monitor Luke, I guess)?
I agree. The entire Tatooine sequence is too "slick" in the new versions. The rustic look of the original conveyed the place perfectly, IMO.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not only teeming with activity, but by today's standards poorly rendered CGI activity. Most of those SE Mos Eisley effects look horrible and dated now, and they're a great example of why revisionism is such a slippery slope.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I'm remembering something in the Lawrence of Arabia thread where Robert Harris said he wasn't sure if they were even legally allowed to replace missing frames, because that would constitute a material change to the last version of the film that David Lean approved.

My guess is that if George Lucas were to keel over of a heart attack tomorrow (a possibility now that he has a much younger wife to keep up with!), the masters used for the 2011 Blu-rays, which represent the most recent versions approved by Lucas, would be the only versions that Disney or Fox would ever be able to legally distribute.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Stephen Brooks said:
I'm remembering something in the Lawrence of Arabia thread where Robert Harris said he wasn't sure if they were even legally allowed to replace missing frames, because that would constitute a material change to the last version of the film that David Lean approved.

My guess is that if George Lucas were to keel over of a heart attack tomorrow (a possibility now that he has a much younger wife to keep up with!), the masters used for the 2011 Blu-rays, which represent the most recent versions approved by Lucas, would be the only versions that Disney or Fox would ever be able to legally distribute.
That may be true (from a certain point of view....NO! I mean, to a certain extent...) But the difference is that we aren't talking about creating something that wasn't there, like "missing frames" (from previous edits to the OCN). There are prints of the original STAR WARS trilogy already in existence that could be used in cooperation with / instead of the OCNs. Plus, we do not know what the agreement between Lucas and Disney entails...whether it gives the company carte blanche to do what it wishes with the previous content as well as future.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Stephen Brooks said:
The Disney company just spent billions for these movies. They're going to get to do whatever they want with them, ultimately. If they see a revenue stream in the original films, they will see the light of day on blu-ray. Everything else is just paranoia.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Favate said:
The Disney company just spent billions for these movies. They're going to get to do whatever they want with them, ultimately. If they see a revenue stream in the original films, they will see the light of day on blu-ray. Everything else is just paranoia.
I have a feeling they only spent billions for the right to make new movies and they don't care that much about the old ones.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I have a feeling they only spent billions for the right to make new movies and they don't care that much about the old ones.
Even with the way that Disney looks to be trying to whore Star Wars into another Marvel, the merchandising is probably still going to be worth more than the movies.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
FoxyMulder said:
I think of far greater value is the ability to have complete control of the property to use in their theme parks. The movies are just advertising for the parks and merchandise. If they make money, even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks