What's new

Could "Special Editions" soon be history? (1 Viewer)

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Moe:

No your are not the only one. May main reason for rebuying a lot of LDs was for the supplemental features.

So when DVDs came out with this as almost a standard feature, I was in heaven.

There is limited amount of viewing of a film (even though I have favorites that I can view over and over).

Once I am saturated with the film, I then can watch it with commentaries and supplemental features, which then sparks my desire to watch the film again.

Classic films are my favorites, specifically hearing and seeing how film makers made these classics without the benefits of computers and modern film editing.

There is no finer year than 1939 for film study. More film classics were made in that year alone than any other year in Hollywood's history.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
There is no question that if someone is resposible for additional profits on a movie they should be get their fair share of those additional profits. If a star appearing in a movie results in $30 million in additional ticket sales, than his/her $20 miliion pay check is justified. The studios would not pay it if they did not think they would get a return on that investment.

The same goes for people contributing to the supplemental materials on DVD. The contributor can decide what some of money will make it worth their while, and the studio can decide if the increased sales will justify that cost.

It seems that this is what is taking place. Contibuting talent is asking a certian amount, and when that amount "starts not making sense", the contribution in question will be dropped.

I would imagine that this is how it has always been with regards to contibuting memebers of DVD supplements. From the article, it seems that the only thing that is changing is that the contrinuting talent is asking for more of the fruits of their labor.

So will that result in fewer special editions? I guess that depends on what we are willing to pay for them. Obviously, people are willing to pay a certain amount for supplemental material, to what extent can be measured when comparing sales and cost between Toy Story 2-pack and Ultimate Toy Box, Men In Black Collector Series and Men In Black Limited Edition, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks