Could something like this be used...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Shawn Solar, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I was just wondering for all the people with hi-def TV's without dvi is there something that will come out that will convert dvi to component. Like this

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/features.html

This is used for a graphic's card to stream hi- def to a bigscreen from the computer. I have the 9800pro which will be sent to my TV for gaming. I would like to see something similar for the upconverting DVD players and such.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No, thats just a simple analog converter (RGB to Y-Pb-Pr). DVI is digital and compressed so requires a complex MPG decoder and D-A and would be no better than just using the component video output from devices, there are no DVI-only devices!

3. Shawn Solar

Really??? than where does it plug in on the back of my computer. I saw DVI but not anything else but It was dark and The picture doesn't show the back end of the connector in the link..Doh:b

4. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

What about these things, how do they work?

[​IMG]

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Pretty sure thats basically an analog converter like the one from ATI

6. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

yeah, so does that device not convert the DVI output to analog VGA? Does the DVI output also carry an analog signal or what?

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

If you take a look at the info on ATI website it does state this adapter is for DVI to component. Here is the first question in the FAQ.

Q1: What is ATI's HDTV Component Video Adapter?

A1: ATI's HDTV Component Video Adapter provides analog component output support for your ATI supported RADEON Series graphics card. It converts standard DVI-I or VGA from specific RADEON™ Series of cards and converts it to analog component output for display on a High Definition Television (HDTV) or any other component input device, such as a projector.

ATI's HDTV Component Video Adapter is the highest quality method to deliver HDTV support. It provides a big screen experience for your entertainment PC that is ideal for gaming, surfing the Internet, and watching DVDs.

Kevin

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The are two types of DVI - analog and digital. The one on PCs is analog, not the same as the digital one for HDTV.

9. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

oh, ok.[​IMG] I figured it was something like that.

10. Shawn Solar

Ah, Thanks Don[​IMG]

I didn't know there were the two types. Gonna try it in the future as my PC sits about 20-25ft away from my HT. Only take a few hours to wire up.