What's new

Could someone tell me about my new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what the power output of my amp is, is it 60w or 75w?
From the brochure that you linked to, it appears that your receiver puts out 75 watts to 5 channels.

Regarding your speakers, could you provide us with some model numbers? AR makes quite a few speakers.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this model 2 days ago at a local dealer. US$200.00.

It's rated at 60 watts/channel from 20-20,000Hz at .06 THD. I would go with these numbers. No bad at all. The 75 watts figure is only at one frequency, 1kHz. And at 4 ohms too.

Mike Woods

Agent
Sure

Fronts are Status S30s and the centre is status sc 2.
The sub is a Gale S30 3070 and the rears are Gale 3060B

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I have a Yamaha/AR HT...

The combination sure works great for me.

The receiver and speakers compliment themselves.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

I don't think you would have a problem. As I remember, the AR are quite efficient speakers. So unless you are trying to fill a large room with sound or listen at headbanging concert levels, you should be OK.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Mike, the "20 watts" of additional power that you see for the Pioneer receiver are essentially "paper watts." Just because it features 20 more watts than your Yamaha receiver, it doesn't mean that it will be substantially more powerful. If you are considering a jump in receivers because you desire a bit more power for your speakers, then I would look at some additional makes and models. However, going this route might cost you quite a bit more money for such a receiver. In your current price league, most of the receivers feature very similar power ratings. Don't get too fooled by the extra 20 watts that are claimed by the manufacturer.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Mike,

I have a Yamaha HTR5540 which is the bottom of the totem pole for the manufacturer. I bought it because of it's solid power handling (not features). It has a natural clean sound and when combined with the AR 2062, C25, 108PS, and 215ps, they all match beautifully.

All tone controls are set to '0' and both 5.1 DD, DTS, and PCM tunes sound wonderful with a digital connection.

At 65 X 5 mine has plenty of 'power' for a 10 X 16 room (and more).

Go set it up!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Just my opinion, but stay with the Yammi and don't even think of going with the Pioneer model you linked.

On the lower end of the AV-Receiver world your current Yammi wil kick the linked Pioneers butt in sound quality.

We do own a Pioneer (VSX-811S) in our bedroom system. So I am not showing a bias in my personal opinon just an observation I've found in these brands lower end Receivers.

It (our 811) bench tested 6-channels driven /// 72watts into 8-ohms, all chnnels driven 20-20 at .05% distorsion. It's "claimed wattage" ~{on paper is a 100-watts by 6 into 6-ohms, of course taken @1k with 1% distorsion.:rolleyes:
Not bad (the 72-watts) I thought even knowing that "some" had mentioned and claimed it sounded awful. So for shitz and grins, I hooked it up with out the separate amping we planned to use to see if the fuss was true.

Well let me tell you, ~{it is the most Life-Less, Stale, Soft, god awful sounding power I have every heard}~!!!!! I am serious when I say that and it was only driving the 2 mains fullrange n Stereo. It is without question the worst sounding 72-watts I've every heard period. And nothing I did with tone controls, loudness, mid-night mode etc, helped.

We did purchase it because it carried (all current formates, along with 7.1 pre-outs for Separate Amping), and analog 7.1-in for separte decoding of a possible new formate or SCAD etc... But lastly, the sweet price of $203.00 total, USA-$$$ and this was 5-months ago.

Certainly NOT saying that Yamaha is better, or that Pioneer sucks!!! It just seems "TO ME" as of the last couple years and speaking to the Lower to maybe even Mid End of both brands AV-Receivers, the Yammis usually sound better using their own internal amp/s.

I think short of really stepping up in a Receiver = more$$$, regardless of brand name, that your current Yammi would serve your AR-speakers and situation just fine, and the lower end Pioneer would gain you nothing in SQ or power out put.
Most likely a step backwards with it.

Heck bring them both home a check them out fully, bet the Pioneer goes back! :D

My cheap .02 worth.....;)
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks