Could someone explain RS-232 ports?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom_Price, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Tom_Price

Tom_Price Stunt Coordinator

I don't understand how these ports work. I hear they are used for remote control of other units and I know I have one on my receiver, DVD player, CD player, and electic projection screen. How would I use the connection to its ability with these components?

Thanks,
    TJ

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

RS232 ports are more commonly known as serial communications ports on a computer. These serial ports allow for "bits" of information to pass through the wires of an RS232 cable one bit at a time, i.e., in single file. In effect, the process is extremely slow in the data transfer department. It is extremely inefficient in today's PCs, but may be ok for audio/video equipment though.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

they're mainly used when you need to upgrade the firmware for the component.

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

My old Sony Surround system used to have these to hook up each individual component to each other. I never really saw the advantage. I think it was so you could turn on each component by using only one button on the remote. I hardly ever used it.

5. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

>>> they're mainly used when you need to upgrade the firmware for the component.

Why would I have it on my Rotel Amp?

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, some THX equipment include a DB-25 connector for the line-level inputs. These connectors have the advantage of having screws to lock the connector in place. They are identical to a RS-232 connector, but they are really for analog inputs.

There are some high-end Crestron/et. al controller systems that will use the RS-232 connections on some equipment to do basic control functions like "turn on", "change volume". But it's not real common because the protocol and command-sets are different for every device. And since almost all of these components have to have a IR port to receive commands from a remote - it's actually a lot of extra expense to put a RS-232 jack.