What's new

Could someone explain HP to me? (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
If the HP Ipod, is just an ipod, and it sells for the same price as an ipod, what benefit does HP get out of this?

Chris Derby

Second Unit
well, for one, they aren't competing in the portable music player market with in inferior product (like dell).

apple, on the other hand, is hoping their hardware will get more market penetration though HP selling their ipods.

also, expect to see the HP ipod with more discounts (or bundled with HP PCs) than the apple branded unit.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it makes sense for apple, but for HP it seems like they're going to take a loss.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
HP is using it as a marketing tool to sell their name brand and to bundle it with their PCs. HP believes that bundles featuring their laptops + an HP Ipod make a more attractive offer then say, Dell & their own hardware.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Also, HP and Apple have a deal. HP is not selling these things to you at cost. Apple is probably selling to HP at a significant discount -- let's say $20 over costs for Apple. That way Apple still makes a little money, HP probably pulls in $50-$100 per iPod, and Apple gets the increased market share and increased users for iTunes.

Obviously, my numbers are probably off, but nobody knows how much it costs to make an iPod exactly or what the terms of the deal are between Apple and HP. But hopefully you guys can see through the numbers to my point.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
The market share theory makes some sense, but HP just seems like an odd choice to pair with. But HP making that much more than apple on a deal like this doesn't sound that smart. I'm not being argumentative, I just can't make sense out of this deal.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
For HP it means extra revenue and being associated with the top-selling player. In the U.S. and world-wide, HP has many more retail outlets then Apple. They also have a large business base with many more accounts then Apple as well. It benefits both companies on the bottom line. It is expected that a total of 1 million iPods (HP and Apple) will be sold per month between October and December. That triples the amount per month when Apple was selling the player themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks