Could someone diagnose this problem with my TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Allin, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I have a 27" Panasonic GAOO television (5 or 6 years old) that has developed an annoying little condition.

Whenever the image onscreen is darkened or completely black, a thin green line appears along the right edge of the screen (running vertically from top to bottom). This green line is about a quarter-inch at its thickest and becomes most noticable the darker the image is. Here is a scenario:

If, for example, there is a completely black screen, it is very obvious. However, if some bright white text were to appear at the centre of the screen, the green line would decrease dramatically at that part of the screen but would remain above and below the text. If the image onscreen is bright (like an outdoor scene), then no green line is present at all.

Can anyone take a guess as to what my problem is and how to go about solving it?

Thanks!

Jeremy

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Sounds like magnetic interference from an unshielded or improperly shielded speaker or another magnetic source. Mu old Mitsubishi 35 inch direct view that I formerly owned had a degaussing button. If you have a speaker on top you may want to try moving it back an inch or so or if there are speakers on the side move them out a couple of inches.

3. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Jeremy does it show on all sources? Do you use a cable box? I doubt if its that thin that is from a speaker or magnet. Those usually apear more as blobs.

4. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Yes, it appears from all sources (DVD, VCR, cable). There is no cable box around the TV (Refer to the pic in my signature to get an idea of speaker/equipement distances).

And yes, the line is about a quarter-inch along the right edge. That seems to be the extent of the problem.

Phil,

I tried moving my centre channel and right speaker but nothing changed. It was worth a try though.

There is one change from that picture in my signature. The subwoofer right beside the TV is now in the far right corner (past the right speaker).

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Try increasing the overscan (increasing the picture width) or shifting the entire picture over to the right so the green line disappears off the edge of the picture tube.
    You may have to take the back off the TV to get at screwdriver adjustments, or if you are lucky, these adjustments are in a service menu.
    This may be the ragged edge of the video frame normally hidden using overscan. This green line may have been there since day one but as the set aged, the entire picture started to shrink causing it to come into view.
    Why white text or bright subject matter causes the green line to disappear is probably because the entire picture width enlarges slightly where bright content is preponderant, which is common.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm