could somebody explain akira

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

i know it is about some biker gang and some kid gets possesd by akira, but what is akira, a person or a spirit. how many times did you have to watch it to understand everything.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Akira was a person, but I think he evolved to the point of becoming like a god or something and the "big event" that happened in 1989 created a new universe in which he is God. The event that happened at the end of the movie is just like the event that happened in 1989.

I think, not sure.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, he wasn't possessed by Akira.

I'm going to tell you to watch it again, in Japanese with the subtitles on so that the message isn't distorted. BUT

Akira was a subject in an experiment to create an evolved human (something the blue kids are part of too). He became so powerful, that the psychic wave of his assention to a higher state of being leveled Tokyo

Years later, Tokyo is rebuilt and Tetsuo is taken because he fits the parameters for the testing. Unfortunately Tetsuo is too old, and his powers go out of control, and he escapes and goes on a rampage. Akira, called by the children takes him before he can do MORE damage, but in the process once again levels the city.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The blue kids were part of the original experiment with Akira(when Caneda is inside Tetsuo and Akira, you see them with Akira). Akira went on a higher plain of existence and laid dorment. Only he can stop anybody with the same powers. I think Tetsuo couldn't accept his powers, hence going on a rampage. Plus the fact of his age. Age, with unacceptance and inexperience makes it so he can't control the powers in the end and they take him over. The blue kids then have to call on Akira to stop it before it gets way out of control. Sorry if this seems like rambling, I'm not always good with words, and am kind of tired.

5. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Buy the Manga, Dark Horse has been republishing it in its entirety.

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

The movie is just a taste of what the story is really about. Akira went 58 50page issues(here is USA). There are a dozen major characters from the book missing from the movie. Lady Miyako who is a major player in the book is reduced to 2 short scenes in the movie.

The movie is basically the first 16 issues(with alot missing) with a few of the later issues thrown in at the end.

The movie answers nothing because it was made while Otomo was still early in the book(around issue 16 I think)and he didnt want to give any of the stories secrets away.So it hints at alot but tells u nothing and leaves you guessing - what the movie really did was build more anticipation for the Manga in Japan.

I would definitely recommend picking up the books. Bud Plant Comics in California has the deluxe books available.

This is SO LONG to explain.A few things..... The telepaths are all linked-when Tetsuos power grew, the 3 children and Tetsuos presence woke up Akira-theyre all connected(In the comic book it was Takashi's death that triggered Akiras second destruction of Tokyo)

Akira was a paranomal who started a world war when he was traumatized and destroyed Japan. He was a part of a experiment along with Masaru,Kiyoko, and Takashi(there were lots of kids involved.Most ended up with physical and mental handicaps and even madness and death becasue of the tests-they aged but didnt "grow up"). In the film Tetsuo doesnt get possessed by Akira-Tetsuos tranformation at the end was his evolution to a higher form(sort of like the end of 2001 A Space Odyssey).Tetsuo is unable to control his power (the drugs help his pain but also hinder his telepathy)and goes looking for Akira for answers.

The comic book continues another 40 odd issues after Akira is awoken and Tokyo is destoyed. Akira and Testuo build a New Tokyo Empire with themselves are leaders - the movie is about 10% of the actual story and I really recommend looking the books up.You should be able to get the lot on ebay.Ive seen them there from time to time.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

When Kaneda and the girl are locked up and the psychic girl is talking through the other girl (forget their names) she says something about how all the information and knowledge in our world had to come from somewhere and that was somehow linked to Akira. I interpreted that, along with the ending, to mean that Akira had become a god on another plane of existence and then the same happened to Tetsuo at the end with the help of Akira.

8. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

my only problem with subtitles is that you have to look down at the bottem of the screen while missing what is going on. I thought the dubbing job was terrible anyway.