Could Roy Orbison B&W Night be Pan and Scanned?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I was looking through the credits at the end of this video and it said Panavision Camera and Lenses by General Camera West. So, I'm kinda wondering if Black and White Night was originally WIDESCREEN.

2. John J Nelson

John J Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't mean anything. Panavision provide equipment for shooting TV productions too.

If B&W Night was intended to be shown on TV rather than at the cinema, I would bet on the OAR being 4:3.

-- J.

3. Ken Garrison

If you look up the DVD on Amazon.com, it says Theatrical Release Date: 1987. If it was played in a movie theater, then it has to be widescreen. I ain't complaining. I really like the DVD and the way it sounds, which is the important part.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It was not a theatrical release; 4x3 is the correct ratio; the DVD appears to be correct.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It was made for cable. I saw it when it premiered on TV (can't recall if it was HBO or Cinemax) in or about 1987.
    M.
    ADDENDUM: I suspect the reason for the 1987 date is that the performance occurred in Sept. '87 (this from the liner notes to the CD, which was released in 1989 -- took me a while to find my copy).

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

8. Ken Garrison

Ok, I see now. It would be cool if it was played in a theater. Hmm. I wonder if they can IMAX it. If Black and White Night was able to be put on a huge IMAX screen, that would look neat.

From what I read in the credits, this performance was filmed with Panavision 35 MM cameras and regular 8 MM camera. Mostly, the picture's in 35 MM, but you'll notice some parts were shot in 8.

Well, thanks for the info. I won't worry too much anymore.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

There is a difference between "Filmed with Panavision lenses and cameras" and "Filmed in Panavision."
    The latter generally means the Panvision process, yielding a 2.40:1 AR. The former could be any ratio.
    There are a few places where the credits are incorrect, though. The one that comes to mind is Seinfeld. Some (if not all) of the episodes erroneously bear the "Filmed inb Panavision" credit.

10. Ken Garrison

The credits said, Filmed in Panavision Camera and Lenses.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul