Could really use some help choosing a 26" HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew.H, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

Well I'll start off by saying I am new to these forums, this is my first post. Someone recommended these forums to me so I thought I would come check them out. I am looking for an HDTV, but I do not really know much about them so I could really use some help.

My problem is that I have just purchased an Xbox 360, and anyone who's read anything about it knows that you will not get the full experience without an HDTV. I currently have a 32" Sanyo with a 4:3 aspect ratio, and it's just not cutting it.

I am looking for something that can do 720p and has an aspect ratio of 16:9 (widescreen). However, since it will be widescreen and it needs to fit in the same space as my 32", it will have to be a bit smaller diagonally, about 26" from what I have calculated (the space I have is approximately 30"x28"). I have the space for a CRT/tube TV, so I would prefer to go with one if possible. I have done some research and everything I find says that they have the sharpest image, but tradeoff by being the largest/heaviest which is why they are so inexpensive compared to slimmer LCD/Plasma TVs.

Also, I've been reading about HDMI and how important it is, but I can't seem to figure out WHAT it is. If someone could please explain it to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Should I look for a TV that has HDMI, is it very important?

Well, I guess that's everything. I've done some searching and I just can't seem to find the right TV, if someone could help me I would be very grateful. Thanks for your time.

2. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

Is there no one at all that could help me out?

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Most Tube sets out there don't handle 720p at all. At best, they take it and convert it to 1080i.

You can get flat panel LCD units of 27" or slightly less for $1000 or so.

Regards

4. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

If you're looking for cost effective, small, and well reviewed, look into the 26" Syntax Olevia LT26HVE. I've never heard of the brand, but it's well reviewed at amazon and circuit city. Look at radioshack for a good price.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Radio Shack has it for a fantastic price - $549.99 (After a $250 mail-in rebate.) They don't stock in it stores, but your local store can order it for you, or you can buy it on the website. If you're in a bigger hurry, you can find the same set in stock at CompUSA for $699.99 (After $100 instant rebate and $100 mail-in rebate. Technically CompUSA is not obligated to price match on items that are web-only or not in stock at local stores, but rather than lose a sale I suspect most of them will but the rules a bit if pressed by a knowledgable customer.)

Regards,

Joe

6. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies, they've been really helpful. However, I'm starting to think I should go a bit bigger. I recently had a look at a 26" widescreen TV, and it's much smaller than my current 32" 4:3. I didn't realize it would be so much smaller. So I'm thinking I'd like to go with something larger, and just get a new TV stand at the same time. The TV that was suggested looks great, is there anything similar but around 30-34"? Obviously the price will be a bit higher, that's not too much of an issue as long as it is not TOO much higher. I really appreciate the help so far, thanks again.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Hmmm... I was just looking at the dimensions you gave in your first post. The Syntax Olevia 26" has built-in, side-mounted speakers, and that brings the width up to 35". You can imagine what the 3

Best Buy carries a 32" Westinghouse with bottom-mounted speakers which is just over 31" wide. The current price is $1299.99. Black Friday it was $899.99 and they may drop the price again before Christmas.

When you gave the dimensions the TV needs to fit in, you only gave two numbers and didn't indicate what they were. (I'm guessing width and height, but aren't sure which is which.) Also don't know what your budget is. If you could post the enclosure dimensions (H x W x D) and give us a ballpark number we should be able to give you some better suggestions.

HDMI stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface - a digital connection that carries both HD video and digital audio. Should be as good or better than DVI (and analog component) although reviews have varied and I haven't had a chance to try it out myself. (My new JVC 56" D-ILA doesn't come in until a week from today and my 27" Westinghouse LCD HD TV doesn't have an HDMI input.)

Regards,

Joe

8. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

Ah well the dimensions are 30" wide x 28" high, but I think I'll just get a new TV stand because 26" is actually quite small and I'd like something a bit bigger. As for price I was hoping for something around $1000, size around 30"-34 and definately something that can do 720p, that is the most important thing.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Cool. I've never understood people who let their furniture dictate their equipment choices. [​IMG]

I once had a wall unit custom built in a house I used to own. It was made to hold my 56" CRT RPTV, audio and video euquipment, plus front speakers and subwoofer. I took the measurements for the TV, then went on the internet to get the biggest height, width and depth dimensions for a 65" set, which I figured was the biggest I might ever upgrade to. The TV cavity was built to hold that giant TV. The door that covered the TV (except for the screen) was made for the 56". If I'd ever bought a bigger set the guy who made it would have come back and recut the door for the new screen.

For my current installtion I've ordered a four piece unit from City Furniture with two equipment piers, a bridge that adjusts to handle different size TVs and a TV table/storage unit. (The same set without the TV table can be used for full-sized RPTVs up to about 65".)

Given that you're OK with a new table, I think it would be hard to find a better price/performance combo than this Olevia 32" from Radio Shack.

I haven't had a chance to set up my 26" Olevia yet, but I've been impressed by the reviews and there was nothing that came close to that price in that size. (Except a Sharp Aquos that my local Best Buy was selling for an unadvertised $599.99 before they sold out.)

Regards,

Joe

10. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

I was just wondering, that TV does not have an HDMI input, is that a big deal? I've read elsewhere that it is very important but I'm not quite sure why.

Other then that, it really looks great. It should do 720p with no problem right?

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    OOOps! Yeah, forgot about the HDMI thing. My main living room set will have an HDMI input, but that was less of an issue for the home office TV (which is going to be used as a computer monitor and to watch DVDs from the PC about 90% of the time or the bedroom TV which will get mostly end up being used for standard definition fare.

I noted above what HDMI means. The main reason people are saying you must have it ia that both hi-def DVD standards call for HDMI as the only digital video output for the players, with no DVI option. You can get an adapter or cable that will let you send video from a DVI output on a player or set-top box to the HDMI input on a TV, and I believe you can do the reverse, although obviously you would not get the digital sound over the HDMI link and need a separate audio connection.

You should really do a search on HDMI as there have been a number of threads on the subject with replies from people who know a lot more about this subject than I do. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

12. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

CompUSA has a 32" Viewsonic 16:9 LCD for $1099 after rebate. 1366 x 768 native w/ HDMI. As has already been mentioned there aren't many (if any) Direct View Tubes that handle 720p.

13. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

Wow that 32" Viewsonic at CompUSA looks PERFECT. I think that's exactly what I need. Between than one and the one from Radioshack, the Viewsonic would be the better choice right? (The fact that it is a bit more expensive doesn't matter)

Thanks for the replies once again, everyone is turning out to be very helpful. I'm very glad I came here.

14. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

I've been looking up some TVs and apparently this one is very good

30" Widescreen FD Trinitron® WEGA® HDTVspacerKD-30XS955 (the forum will not let me post links)

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how it compares to the other two previously mentioned? It is a CRT and it says it does 1080i, I can't seem to figure out if it can do 720p though. Looks like a very nice TV, reviews say the image quality is excellent so now I am torn once again.

15. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

My wife and I were just discussing pickking up either a 26/27 or 32" LCD TV . We found Olevia models at the link provided above. After checking Radio Shack site they have a rebate running the 27", 32" 37" models.

16. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

So overall, would the 32" Syntax Olevia be the best choice? It does not have an HDMI input, although it is quite a bit less expensive than the ViewSonic. Are there any other TVs I should consider? I just want to make sure I'm getting the best I can before I go spend such a large sum of money. I've been doing some research on my own but I don't know enough about HDTVs to really know what to look for.

17. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Syntax Olevia has a DVI input which is compatible w/ HDMI through either a HDMI-to-DVI adapter or HDMI-to-DVI cable. I wouldn't let that sway you either way. I'd try to see both (hopefully side by side) and see which you like best. I'm not aware of any other 32" LCDs in the same price range.

18. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I stopped by a Sams club just to see what they had (not a member) and saw a 32" Vizio LCD. The speakers were on bottom and were similar to the Sony model. It was 1366x768, 800/1 contrast, and only about $889 (forget the exact price). The picture was not bad at all and stood up pretty well to the Sony 32" it was next to. The whites were a bit warmer and contrast was not as good, but it was still a really decent picture for about 1/2 the price of the Sony. It's dimensions are also very good for fitting into an older cabinet, less then 32" wide from the looks of it. I thought the picture was better then any of the other off brand models I looked at.

19. Andrew.H

Andrew.H Auditioning

I'm really liking the Syntax Olevia LT32HVE, but I can't seem to find a store that has it for a decent price and that will ship to Canada. If anyone knows of a good site/store, please let me know, I would be eternally grateful.