What's new

Could really use some direction on A/V receiver? (1 Viewer)

inspector1

Auditioning
Real Name
William
I know just about nothing about home theater. I inherited a very nice custom home theater system and room. This guy, former Nortel exec, said he spent upwards of 65K (back in 2000) and ran all types of stuff in room. Long story short....have stripped out most of the stuff that is a bit dated and appears to be no longer required due to hdmi an am selling.....all I want is to be able to watch bluray dvd's and directv hd satellite.....

Here is what I now currently have, by way of leaving some and buying new, as equipment and am in now need of a powerful enough A/V receiver.....now that I have gone online and become completely confused and too many options......

-drop down screen (+/- 106" diagonal)
-custom lighting throughout
-velodyne SPL10 sub
- Mitsubishi hc4900 (new)
- KEF ci200 QS (4 of them, flush mounted)
- KEF center, Reference Series, Model 100
-Niles APC-2...? have no idea the general function of this
-Sony BDP -s350 (wife bought)

I have a Sherbourn 5/1500 amp that I hopefully don't need since it gets hot and was clearly needed with the old Adcom equipment and massive Zenith 3-gun projector, video scaler, etc.

Any help or direction would be great.....it seems like my concern should be centered around is having adequate power

Thx much

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If someone spent 65k on equipment, I'm pretty sure you don't want to sell it just because you want HDMI (unless you are willing to spend 65k to replace it).

What is your budget?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
This receiver should be plenty enough power for you:
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Audio & Video
I have one of these coming to me. Supposed to be here Tuesday. It may be a little overkill for me, but I don't care. I'd rather have too much than not enough............
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

My stepfather was management at Nortel, at NC's Triangle area plant. He was forced into an early retirement a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks