could my HK 320 be causing "ghosting" with its component switching?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Loomis, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

my HK 320 is just over a month old.

before its arrival, the digital cable signal (Time Warner Cable - Scientific Atlanta box I believe) went from the box directly to the TV (Sony 42" rear projection) via RCA's. The DVD player used the TV's svideo in.

Thanks to the receiver's component switching, I now have the digital cable going to the receiver via svideo (DVD as well) and the signal from the receiver to the TV via svideo. seems great. only over the last few weeks I've been noticing "ghosting." (I hope I have my terms correct -when there is a bright white background, darker images cast a "shadow" to their right onto the white background.)

When I use just the TV's tuner (cable directly into the tv) I don't get the problem. I put in the Avia DVD to recalibrate and don't seem to be getting a problem with the DVD. (I also turned the brightness and sharpness pretty low, btw, and it didn't seem to fix the digital cable problem).

I tried going the svideo from the cable box directly to the tv, but it's tricky to diagnose as you could wait forever for another white background to come up.

I'm wondering if:

1) I should get a heavier duty svideo cable from the cable box to the receiver? can this problem be caused by thinner cables?

2) is the HK causing the ghosting? I'd really hope not, b/c the video switching was one of the reasons I went with it. But I did a search and saw someone say their HK 520 was causing ghosting.

the problem has become surprisingly annoying. Watching Black Hawk Down on Saturday had ghosting galore against the bright dessert sky.

thanks for any input.

2. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I have all my components DVD, XBox, Dish, going through my HK 320 and haven't had this happen to me. The way I would check is connect them the normal way and see if this is still happening.

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Ghosting is usually the result of poor quality cables. Replace the cables first, then look elsewhere if the problem persists.

Interesting that you would mention the "component video" switching capabilities of the receiver and then say that you are using s-video interconnections, not component video. No matter - s-video is quite good. If both your TV and DVD player have component video connections (three RCA's labelled Y/Pb/Pr), the I would suggest using them to get the ultimate in color purity and resolution. Again, use good quality cables.

4. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I hate to say it, but it could be the receiver.

If you try to use 3 different video cables to create a component cable set, and one of the cables is a different length/brand, you can get ghosting. Trying to get all 3 signals to exactly match on every pixel of your TV requires nearly identical paths for all 3 signals.

SVideo is really 2 wires in that bundle. If one of those signal-paths has a longer length, higher resistance, it can cause ghosting.

It's not that there is a design problem (or the units would all have this issue). My guess is that a pin in one of the connectors is bent/broken, or in one of the wires.

So you do need to check your cables, and perhaps examine the SVideo jacks on your receiver.

Try this: Move the SVideo for the DVD player to a different set of plugs on the receiver. Does the ghosting go away or remain? This will help eliminate the plugs on the receiver as a suspect.