What's new

Could it be? I think I'm done with my system for awhile (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
After a decision to drastically improve my setup in September, I think I'm finally finished and have vowed to myself to not upgrade a single piece of hardware until August 1st at the earliest.
The only major piece of gear that wasn't upgraded or replaced was the TV. I really am very happy with my Toshiba 55" 4x3 set and I really want to wait till next year before I go 16x9.
Remember also that my system is used probably 70% for music and 30% for DVD/TV watching. Given those percentages I sometimes find it difficult to justify my 625 DVD's, but...what the Hell! :)
So here is my system as it stands today, and hopefully until Aug 1. Pictures are forthcoming...
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-29TX. I use this as a pre/pro for 2-channel audio and as an amplifier for the rear channels for HT viewing.
DVD Player: The ubiquitous Panasonic RP-91 in cool, cool champagne. It is connected to the Toshiba 55" RPTV via BetterCables Silver Serpent Component Video Cables.
DVD Player 2: The Malata 996. This is for multi-region viewing and PAL->NTSC conversion. I love this little guy because it lets me see every episode of South Park!!
SVHS VCR: JVC HR-S7600U. This is for archiving TiVo broadcasts and for viewing the 30 or so SVHS tapes I still have.
Personal Video Recorder: Philips TiVo. I don't need to explain this one. It has changed my life. :)
SACD/CD Transport: The absolutely awe-inspiring Sony SCD-XA777ES. This player is just unreal, I haven't heard one better in the same Galaxy of price as this bulletproof monster. The best purchase of the year.
DAC/Upsampler: The excellent Perpetual Technologies P-1A/P-3A combo. The P-3A has been upgraded by Dan Wright and both are powered by the Monolithic Audio P3 Power Plant. The Sound is just liquid goldent smooth.
Power Amplifier: Parasound HCA-1500A. This is the power amp for the 2 front speakers in both Stereo and for HT. It pumps out 205wpc and is spectacular and warm.
Speakers: Four (4) Paradigm Reference Studio 40's .v2 I love the way these speakers sound with the rest of the gear. They took a little while to break in, but once they did...look out! They fill my room with a wonderous sound. They're perched on a set of Osiris Audionics Osiris Speaker Stands. These things are built like a tank, talk about solid!
Subwoofer: I have limited space and live in a townhouse, so bass muct be tightly controlled. I use an Acoustic Research AR112PS and I love the sound. It fits perfectly into my system and my room. I actually ordered an Adire Rava but believe it or not it actually had too much bass! How's that for a glowing review? I had to return it unfortunately, but someday I'll get another. :)
Incidentally, I do not use a Center Channel Speaker. I've found that in my system the sound is better without one. I've tried many combo's, and no center absolutely works best for me.
Power Conditioners: I use a Monster Power HTS-3500 Power Line Conditioner. It is plugged in to a PS Audio 20amp Ultimate Outlet. The Parasound amp is also plugged directly into the Ultimate Outlet.
Power Cords: VooDoo Audio "MoJo" Power cords. These rock! That's all I'm saying about them. :)
Speaker Cable: BetterCables Premium Bi-Wire speaker wire. Its great, highly recommended.
Interconnects: All Audio and Video interconnects are from BetterCables with the exception of 2 coaxial digital cables that I made myself with silver coated copper, silver solder, and Canare true 75ohm connectors. BetterCables products are fantastic and I recommend them highly.
Assorted: I use a Jensen Transformers CATV ground loop eliminator, and RF cables for CATV are from Bolder Cables Co.
All of my media; 625 DVD's, 900 Audio CD's, 60 SACD's, and 20 DVD-Audio discs all sit comfortably on racks by Boltz Media.
Well, That's it! Thanks to everyone that had a hand in building this thing knowingly or not. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Pardon me, Ric, but B.S.! ;) You will have the 'XA777ES modded in short order. Then, after you get it modded, you will decide you need a new external DAC to further improve redbook CD playback. Maybe a dCs Elgar/Purcell system will fit the bill.
My only planned upgrade is an NAD C 270 power amp to biamp with the NAD C 370 integrated amp in my main system.

RicP

Screenwriter
:laugh: Honestly, I'm going to hold off. Dan is busy with Mods through April and I'd want to wait to see how his Tubed-output XA777ES sounds before I make a decision there.
The only thing that's tugging on me is a dedicated pre/pro, but I will be firm in my resolve to wait until August. I will. No really I mean it...no really... :crazy:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., Ric. If you say so. :) Seriously though, I thought I read something on Audio Asylum about Ric Schultz doing some sort of mod on the 'XA777ES that would render it incapable of playing multi-channel SACDs. Are Richard Kern and Dan Wright going this route too? I would hope not. To my mind, such a castration-type mod would be going too far.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Ric:

Congrats on a great setup. I'm familiar with some of your gear (elite receiver, RP-91, etc) and recently demoed the studio 40's. With all the power it must sound incredible.

I'm sure you've tried a center but didn't like the soundstage, but what does multichannel music sound like when they've filled the center with a lead singer (such as 52nd st by Billy Joel)? The soundstage on my setup, puts instruments and voices in specific spots, I would think the center is necessary - no?

Also, what are your thoughts on bass management - Yay or nay?

RicP

Screenwriter
Also, what are your thoughts on bass management - Yay or nay?
I think it's a wonderful idea, but it has a little more ways to go before it works flawlessly in all applications. Something like the Outlaw ICBM is helpful but of course puts you in interconnect hell. Once a digital standard is both finalized and rolled out, then we should be able to see true digital domain bass management for all platforms.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Ric:
Very nice system. I don't believe your subject header though. I give you a week - maybe two - before you upgrade/change something.
;)
Rich B.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Tremendous system ... And I would have to agree on holding off on the 16x9 TV. Actually I would argue that a 4x3 RPTV behind a DLP projector w/ dropdown, 16x9 screen is the perfect combo ... you can watch TV on the RPTV and movies on the FPTV!
.... but that system is just crying for a Pronto remote.
Like so many Pronto converts ... I wasn't convinced I really wanted one. Then I got one for Christmas. (one of the $149.- refurbs from J&R). Wow, was that a great addition!
Scott

RicP

Screenwriter
.... but that system is just crying for a Pronto remote.
Oops!! Sorry I left that out. I've had a Pronto for 2 years and yes indeed it is a savior. I'm on version 4.2 of my CCF and it keeps getting better all the time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks