Could I use the bi-wiring terminals on receiver to..

paul koster

Agent
Could I use the bi-wiring terminals on receiver to wire a set of ceiling speakers to another room? I know that bi-wiring doesn't do anything, but those terminals are just sitting there unused. Both right and left as well as the center have bi-wiring jacks, so I figured I could use them for individual speakers. If not, can someone recommend what kind of equipment is used for this that I could add on to put speakers in diningroom/livingroom and master bedroom area? I don't care if different musics can be played at the same time or not since it is mostly me listening to music.

Thanks in advance

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I doubt those are actually bi-wiring connections on your receiver. Most likely they are line level outputs for using an external amp to power those channels instead of the internal amps. Typically, when those outputs are used, the
internal amps are defeated, so you would not be able to use both at the same time.

paul koster

Agent
John- They actually say bi-wiring that's why I was wondering if they are actually for bi-wiring or for bi-amping. I have never hooked anything up to them, so I'm not sure what will occur. BTW the receiver is Deneo AVR3600

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
It appears that the "bi-wire" terminals appear to double as the "B" speaker terminals on your receiver. Technically, you can hook up a pair of auxilliary speakers to the "B" terminals, but keep in mind that when you have the receiver on an "A+B" setting that the second set of speakers will be sharing the same amplifier as your main speakers. (yuck.)

Bi-wiring DOES make a difference one way or the other. It really depends on how the speaker's crossover was designed. There's are pros and cons to this. The whole theory behind bi-wiring is to reduce intermodulation distortion between drivers. However, a possible side effect is that because the two frequencies are being fed by individual, separated wires, phase errors can happen due to the differing impedance loads presented by the tweeter and lower frequency drivers.

It doesn't hurt to experiment with it if you're curious. You might tell a difference and you might not.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23