What's new

Could I port a Tempest in 24x24x24" (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Right now my tempest is in a 21.5" cube sealed.

I think the largest volume I am going to be able to get away with is a 24" cube.

If I create a new enclosure, could I vent it? Or is the volume still unsufficient?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
With some stuffing you'll should get about 165L net out of that. You could get a single 4" flared port in there. Would be pretty close to that 170L design DanW suggested a while ago.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Isn't one 4" port a little small for a Tempest?

Out of the three reference designs for the tempest two of them use twin 3" ports and one uses two 4" ports.

I took some measurements and think I can handle a 24" x 24" x 28" enclosure (exterior dimensions)

Assuming 3/4" MDF this gives us 220 liters of internal volume. Not accounting for volume losses for driver, bracing, and port displacement.

Think in the end we may be around 190-200 liters?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You can't densely stuff a ported enclousre, but you can stuff it a little to get some appearent volume increase. SVSubs do this.

If you can get the net volume to a little over 200L a 20hz tune with a 6" port becomes possible.

You won't be able to realize the full potential of a Tempest with a 4" port, but it will still work.

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, I just finished my 214L Tempest last Friday using similar dimensions (mine is 26.5x24x24)and used the twin porting recommended in the Adrie application paper. I couldn't be more pleased with the result. I watched Attack of the Clones Saturday and in the opening scene when Princess Amadala's ship flew by, it scared the snot out of me! I could really FEEL the bass that the Tempest produced in my 22 x17 room. Independence Day is on tap for tonight!!

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
Yes they are and I haven't detected any noise from them during testing. I've driven the Tempest moderately hard on a couple of occasions and it has performed above my expectations.:)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
My 24 x 24 x 30 SBB$ Tempest is ported with two 3 inch PVC ports. There is port noise when test tones are played but I've never noticed it during a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks