Could I get some feedback on my web site?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Darren Lewis, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I've been slowling developing my book discussion website for the past 18 months, starting off on ezboard and moving up to where it is today.

Tonight I uploaded the new design with lots of new content - news, reviews, links etc...

I'd love to get some feedback from the "average web user". I know you guys use a whole variety of machines and browsers and connection speeds.

I've asked on web design forums but those guys tend to be pros who are into the finer details of cascading style sheets and other coding issues. I'd appreciate some constructive comments for you guys.

The address is http://www.thebookforum.com

Thanks.

Darren.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

[​IMG] I was just checking out your site, before I saw this thread. As a matter of fact, that window is still open, I was reading that "recommend books to me thread". I clicked on it from the annoying ads thread below when you wrote that you didn't allow pop ups on your site yet.

Looks great!

--
    Holadem

3. Darren Lewis

Thanks Holadem [​IMG]

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

The top half of the page has too small text for my browser (IE 6.0) on a 21" monitor.

The lower part is ok.

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    WOW!
    Thats great Darren!
    If i read a lot of books id definitely be there, lol [​IMG]

Keep it up!!

6. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Everything looks great on my 17" monitor. Also I like how the button for the section you are currently at connects to the navbar below it, that is sweet.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Looks great and loads fast. My wife is a huge reader, I'll let her know
    Grant

8. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I checked again and the text is still very small. Looks like about 5pt. I wish I was smart enough to know how to do a screenprint and post it here. The 'Ebay Auction' is completely blury.

The 'Latest Forum Discusions' and below are perfectly legible.

The website seems very well laid out and easy to navigate. I just think there is a prob with display on some computers. Again, I have a 21" monitor and am using IE6. Not sure if any other info would be helpful, but I'd be glad to share it.

9. Darren Lewis

Thanks for all the kind words. It would be great to get more traffic and discussions in the forums, but books tend to have a slower turn-over than movies and DVDs.

Eric, the site is written using ems as the font size. It looks OK on my 17" at 1024x768, and just about OK at 1280x1024.

The text in the "tabs" at the top won't scale as they're graphics, but the rest of the text should scale, especially if you select view->text size on IE and alter it from medium (the default).

The screenshot of the ebay auction (who'd pay £1800 for a signed book?) is blurred as it's a scaled down screendump.

Any bright ideas how to get more traffic and discussions going?

Darren.

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

You might want to use the border and curved edges on the right hand column, like you did for the left hand side.

Looks great!

Mike D.

11. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Darren,

Nice site! I just joined and made my first post...

The only suggestion I have is to update your main logo, it looks a little amateurish to me.

As for driving more traffic, I take it you have already gone through all the search engine submission forms, but have you tried using some sort of link exchange where your banner ad gets placed on other sites in return for you running other sites' ads on yours? I don't know if Amazon removes links, but if not try writing some book reviews on their site and throw in a link to yours. You might also solicit some publishers for advance copies to review some books, then if your reviews get printed on the jackets, it should say " -Darren Lewis, TheBookForum.com "...

Just ideas... good luck though!

12. Darren Lewis

Thanks Jason, hope you enjoy the site [​IMG] It uses the same forum software as HTF so should be familiar.

I've asked some designers to submit ideas for a new logo, so stay tuned...

As for the reviews, publishers will only send me review copies if the site is getting thousands of hits per day and it's worth their while. A bit of a catch-22.

Darren.