What's new

Could David Strohmaier continue his magic on later 70mm Cinerama films? (1 Viewer)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I've ordered the Olive Blu-Ray of HALLELUJAH TRAIL, despite the disappointed comments of those who've already received their copies. I own Kino's Blu-Ray of KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA and MGM/Fox's THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD. I remember Mister Lime's comment that the poor condition of the elements for SONG OF NORWAY precluded a Blu-Ray release.

I realize that ABC Pictures and United Artists don't exist in their original form any more, but I am puzzled and saddened at how these large format releases seem to have gotten not even basic care over the years.

Not that I wish the wonderful Mr. Strohmaier any more headaches than he has endured over the years, but is there any chance of his working his magic on these films at some point? Or would he face the same issues working with other distributors that he has faced with Warner Bros, and that Bob Furmanek faces with some 3D classics?

Last edited:

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The films that Mr. Strohmaier has worked on belong to Cinerama Inc., and they gave their full cooperation. Other owners have not come forward with the elements or rights, as I understand it.

Also, his interest was the 3-strip films, although he has restored the 70mm "Cinerama" films controlled by Cinerama as well.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I've ordered the Olive Blu-Ray of HALLELUJAH TRAIL, despite the disappointed comments of those who've already received their copies. I own Kino's Blu-Ray of KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA and MGM/Fox's THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD. I remember Mister Lime's comment that the poor condition of the elements for SONG OF NORWAY precluded a Blu-Ray release.

I realize that ABC Pictures and United Artists don't exist in their original form any more, but I am puzzled and saddened at how these large format releases seem to have gotten not even basic care over the years.

Not that I wish the wonderful Mr. Strohmaier any more headaches than he has endured over the years, but is there any chance of his working his magic on these films at some point? Or would he face the same issues working with other distributors that he has faced with Warner Bros, and that Bob Furmanek faces with some 3D classics?

These are not real Cinerama films, which is what Dave works on, so I'm not sure what he'd bring to the table, nor would any studio give him the elements to work with. And Mr. Lime saying the poor condition of the elements for Song of Norway preclude a release - well, no, not really - the poor condition of the AVAILABLE elements. I'm not sure that the camera negative is a problem, only that it would be expensive to do the large format transfer.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I received my copy of the Olive Blu-Ray of HALLELUJAH TRAIL and it's horrible. The worst Olive has put out. They should not have bothered as it appears to be the old analog Laserdisc transfer or worse. Please Olive just pass on such poor transfers. Maybe Mr. Strohmaier's group could have made this a little prettier because it couldn't be worse. I now have lost some trust in Olive.

williammoore

Agent
Real Name
William Moore
After doing eight 3 -panel (damaged and shrinking films) something with one frame would be a relief to me, but then so is retirement.
Mr. Strohmaier, is there any chance you will restore"Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm?" That would indeed be the grand finale of your wonderful work for Cinerama!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Strohmaier, is there any chance you will restore"Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm?" That would indeed be the grand finale of your wonderful work for Cinerama!

Grimm would be extremely expensive. Damaged elements.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
After doing eight 3 -panel (damaged and shrinking films) something with one frame would be a relief to me, but then so is retirement.

You are not allowed to retire until Brothers Grimm is done. I just got the remastered Windjammer and I have to say, you deserve a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I'm not kidding.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Grimm would be extremely expensive. Damaged elements.

This discouraging news has been floating around HTF for years, but it seems to me that WB, as opposed to MGM with THE ALAMO, has poured a lot of money into expensive restorations, and we all keep our fingers crossed that they are at least considering tackling this one. The interest level for this happening is so high on HTF alone should indicate to them that such an effort would be, if nothing else, a great good will project, even if no profit is made. Call it a "loss leader." Plus, of course, it would result in the preservation of the last-remaining 3-panel Cinerama film that has not yet been restored.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'm guessing they lost money on How the West Was Won so are not interested in Grimm. Dave and friends could do it for a lot less than what WB spent on HTWWW.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Someone once posted, a while back, that the heads at Warner Bros didn't approve of seeing the film in the Smilebox process.

Okay, I'd gladly take a 2.55:1 Blu, just as I'd be happy to accept the slightly cut version of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD if that means we could actually get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks