could component cables affect luminence?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by brentl, Mar 18, 2004.

1. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I made my own component rg-6 -- rca connectors for connection to my projector.

Could a bad connection affect the brightness of the image without affecting the colour.

Would I just simply run my projector with each cable seperately, using the composite input, to confirm each cable is working fine?

Brent

2. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

Maybe. I would have said no until last night when I found out that the blurriness in my video image was because the component connections were a little loose!

Using one at a time as a composite cable is a good idea to see.

CJ

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I figured it couldn't hurt, run each one into a regular TV and see.

I'd love to run a component signal into my TV and check them all at once, but I screwed up the sync in the TV when I unhooked a cable while it was still set to the component input.

Anybody know ho to reset the TV Toshiba 27v51 ??

Brent

4. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

Well, the "Y" or "green" line in component video is luminance. However, since the other two are color difference signals, I'd think that if your cable was affecting the luminance channel differently than the other two channels, it'd also throw the color balance off somewhat. What I'd do would be to swap the green cable with the red or blue, and see if things look different. If they do, then it's very likely that one of your cables is behaving differently from the others.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'll give it a try!

I assumed they were interdependant, I don't notice a real colur shift problem, but I'll do some swapping and watch the same scene over and see what happens.

Thanks

Brent

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Inferior cables may result in blurring of fine details or ghosting of thin lines and sharp edges.

The red and blue cables in a component cable set might be of lesser quality because in all current component video formats including HDTV the color is normally at half the horizontal resolution of the luminance. But the color of HDTV has more resolution than the luminance of standard definition so the quality of HDTV cables has to be correspondingly better.

When testing DVD player cables include a look at the 200 TVL resolution test pattern of AVIA, if you have that disk. For this test you can use component video Y only with the Pr and Pb unconnected.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/whyten.htm

1080i and 720p HDTV Luminance 37 MHz, color 19 MHz
    480p for DVD Luminance 14 MHz color 7 MHz
    480i for DVD Luminance 7 MHz color 3.5 Mhz

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I have video essentials, no Avia.

I noticed a green tinge on Xmen 2 tonight.

I may just say screw it a get good cables, or wait a few months and get a new DVD player too since the CUE problem is buggin me.

Brent