Could 3802 be used as a pre/pro with a 7 channel amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Also could a equalizer be used in conjuction with the 3802? I know this is not prefered, but I listen to a lot of bootlegs and I like to tweak them with an eq. As long as the eq is off it wont affect the sound of movies if I want the pure denon sound correct? Probably wierd questions but I am a rookie!

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Todd: Probably. Are you putting the EQ before of after the 3802 and does the EQ have a switchable passthrough?

3. Todd smith

I have not even shoped the eq yet. In fact I dont even have the receiver yet. I would like to be able to add a eq eventually and just want to make sure I can, but I also want to know that it can be switched off when I watch movies and not have any efect on the movie audio. This would strictly be for my live cd's which I like to tweak. That is about all I can tell you. So what do you think? Thanks for the help. This whole forum is great.

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

If you want to use the EQ for rare occasions such as for bootlegs, what I did was to use the various DSP modessuch as Jazz, Hall, etc turned down all the effects and then set EQ there. I have my old Pro logic Sony with 10 different EQ settings instead of 10 diff. crappy modes.
    Brent[​IMG]

5. Todd smith

I assume your sony is a seperate 10 band eq hooked into your 3802?

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Get the 5es Todd if you are into equalizers. Or check out the JVC 10, an awesome unit. I think the 5es has the best built in of the whole bunch, but i'm still looking at the jvc10(63 htz bass adjustment on equalizer for each channel).

7. Todd smith

Thanks for all the replys. What's up Earl? So can the 3802 be used as a pre pro if in the future I decide to get a 7 channel amp? I am thinking 3802 as my first a/v receiver, then when the upgrade bug hits I go for seperates route upgrading to a 7 channel amp (use 3802 as pre/pro for a while if possible) and eventually a dedicated pre/pro. So that is why I want to make sure the 3802 has pre outs for all 7 channels or whatever it needs to become a pre/pre when I get the amp.

8. Earl Simpson

OK/Todd! I think the 3802 is a great stand alone unit with all the basics you need. But I think, maybe, sometimes, on rare occations that the 898, 5es, and jvc 10 would be better for the purpose of a pre-pro. The 5es and jvc 10 have a great equalizer system built in. Read Patti's post![​IMG] But hey!! Who knows. I think I should have waited and got the 5es. But the 3802 is a great rcvr if you don't get too fancy in your setup needs. Are you a person who will never quit messing with equipment? Then think 5es for a short term solution. If I was rich I would get the 989 or 5803.[​IMG]
    SIDE NOTE// the 989 and 8000 are the only rcvrs I have seen so far that have jumpered mains and pre-amps. My old Marantz use to have that feature. A really good unit will have these jumpers for complete flexibility.

9. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Hello Todd,

1. Yes, the 3802 has pre-outs for all 7 channels.
    2. Yes, you can add an equalizer between the 3802 and the external amp.
    3. Most equalizers should have a "bypass" switch which will allow you to pass the signal through unaltered.
    4. If you wish to only use an external 2 channel equalizer for music, some units (e.g. an older Denon 2700 that I had)allow you to use the "tape monitor" loop which can be configured as a loop between the pre-out and amp-in for the main 2 channels. I have not seen this on my 3801 and I suspect that its missing on the 3802 as well. So I doubt that you could use an external equalizer in conjunction with the 3801/3802's internal amps (but you can always do that if you are using external amplification). [/list=1]

I have the 3801 which I'm using as a pre-pro with 7 channels of external amplification. I also have an AudioControl Rialto (HT equalizer) connected between the 3801 and 5 channels (L,C,R,LS,RS) of external amplification. (My rear surrounds do not go through an equalizer)

Hope that this helps!

10. Earl Simpson

All good rcvrs have pre-outs. But only a handful have pre-ins and even fewer have jumpered amps. Todd, You are really dragging this out. Don't get hung up on 7 amps. There are only 6 channels of discrete sound and most DVD's have only 5. I would have liked the equalizer in the 5es for my speakers. But if you have a good sub then its not a big deal. OK// the line up again= 3200,989,8000 have jumpered amps and the 520 has pre main ins. 5es and 4802 have multi channel in.
    1. 520
    2. 5es
    3. 3802
    4a. 10
    4b. 898
    5a. 3200
    5. 989
    6. 5803[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Go ahead a spend the $1100 and get the yamaha 3200.
    See how easy we went from $598 to $1100. Is it worth the difference????????????????????????????????????? Good question.

11. Todd smith

lol on the 5803! I need to make a decision. I really cant go wrong with any of them I dont think. Thanks again for the support. I feel like I need to go to therapy for my receiver obsession that has just developed in the past 3.5 weeks!