What's new

Costco vs Sam's Club (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I want to get membership of one of these clubs, and was wondering which one to get. Does anyone have any preferences against one or the other? I was thinking Sam's Club would be better seeing as how Wal-Mart is so much more established and bigger.
No, i can not get membership of both! :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd go by proximity (My nearest Costco is around 1.2 miles away, and the nearest Sam's is 1.5 miles away), and I went with Costco.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I may be biased but here goes. I worked for Sam's club for 4 years while I was in college. I'm now and have been a member of Costco for about 5 years now. Maybe I was just sick of the Sam's Club atmosphere and the crap while working there but Costco has a much better selection of food items and even clothes that my wife loves and DVDs too.
There is a Costco monopoly here in Northern Va, about 6 stores to be exact and only 2 Sam's clubs. Neither of the Sam's Clubs do the amount of business that Costco does.
Costco is a pretty established business that makes money. Sam's on the other hand may be owned by Wal-Mart but isn't a big money maker for them.

Jeff

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I prefer Costco. I think their prices are a bit lower on most items and they have a wider selection. However, annual membership fee is a bit higher at Costco.

I'd suggest getting a one-day pass to both clubs and checking them out for yourself.

Walt N

Second Unit
I've been a member of both for many years and I seem to find more stuff I like at Costco. Someone with different needs or tastes might find differently.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I prefer Costco for the combination of selection and price. Recently in my area, a new player called BJs moved in. They are offering first year memberships free and they accept standard coupons as well. Free = why not. Only been once and their fresh meat department is not as good as Costco's but in general my decision on their ranking is still out. I still prefer Costco at the moment.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
It's been awhile since I've been to either, but the last I recall is that Costco's higher end merchandise is higher than the high end offered by Sam's Club. I was particularly struck by Costco's selection of gourmet foods along with their wine selection. Sometimes you can get a great deal on a Dom Perignon or Chateau Margaux.

Other than that, I'd suggest the same as others...go in and check them both out yourself. I also personally thought that the floor plan/layout was better organized at Costco's.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Peter hit the nail on the head. Costco is actually more into the higher end pieces not just cheap pricing. On a sales standpoint they are looking at the most dollars per square foot of floor space which usually means higher end stuff. I prefer Costco because I can often find antyhing that I want there.

KyleS

GordonL

Supporting Actor
You can join both for the price of one. Each club membership allows 2 cardholders, just have a friend join one and put your name as the second card holder and you join the other putting his/her name as the second card holder. Worked for me. :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
You should also take into account the quality of the produce and meat. I've never shopped at Sam's so I don't know, but I've found the produce at Costco to always be fresh and actually last longer than the grocery stores. And the meat is cheaper but better quality than that found in grocery stores.

Also, look at the quality of their own store brand products. Costco has Kirkland and Sam's has Sam's Choice. I've used the Sam's Choice products from Wal*mart and I really find them to be vile. Kirkland, on the other hand, is equal to or better than the name brand products.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I prefer Costco - cancelled my Sam's club for it. Initially it was for the better DVD selection as a primary motivation, but they have lots of other merchandise which appeals to me more (I like the watch selection, electronics, etc.)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Especially the Einstein Brothers bagels. Yum!
I'm stunned. Einstein Bros. bagels are my absolute favorite, and I've tried them all. I am completely unaware that Costco carried these - I never saw them at Costco while I had my membership. Buzz, are they fresh or frozen?

This little, unknown ditty may singlehandedly get me to reup with Costco.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Costco, for all the reasons mentioned above as well as a Dateline report on e-coli that tested meats from national chains, and Costco scored significantly higher in quality than any grocery store chain tested with no instances of the bacteria found at all.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I would go with CostCo. I like there stuff a little better. I have a membership to both, and I use my CostCo one a lot more then my Sam's. They have a bigger selection of fresh food, not just the 10 year old frozen stuff.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Wow, nobody for Sam's Club!! Seems like the choice is made!
But how do i actually get the membership? They apparently require you to be a member of some select organizations to be a cardholder. :confused:

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I would definitely go with COSTCO. Usually people can become a member because their bank or credit union qualifies them. Research that route.

I was also surprised to hear once that Costco is the world's largest retailer of SONY Classical CDs. They sell the most. It was an interesting statistic which is why composer John Williams appeared at a CD signing at the Costco in Culver City, CA with Yo-Yo Ma for the release of his Cello Concerto CD. (I was able to get that CD as well as a Star Wars poster autographed there this year)

Go with Costco...I have done both and Costco in my opinion is much better.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But how do i actually get the membership? They apparently require you to be a member of some select organizations to be a cardholder.
Do you know someone who is a member? A couple times a year, Costco sends out "sponsor" offers which members can give to non-members who want to join. I don't think there are any membership requirements to be met if you have a sponsor form from a current member.

Similarly, you could reimburse a current member to buy you a gift membership.

You could try registering on-line. I don't know how they'd know whether or not you meet the membership categories via an on-line purchase.

Do you have any of the American Express family of credit cards? I originally got my membership because I had a Discover Card (which they no longer accept). I'd assume the same goes for AmEx and affiliates now.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Since "Price Club" and "CostCo" are the same, think my previous Price Club membership would qualify me ? I had a membership at Price Club 5+ yrs ago, and a CostCo just opened up on my route home from work.

BTW - I'm a current Sam's Club member, but not enjoying it... My first warehouse experience was with Pace (bought out by K-Mart ?), which I really liked. They seemed to sell multi-individual packages of items, but the volumes were less. Ex: you could by a package of 3-12 ounce jars of mayo/ketchup/whatever, instead of 1-64 ounce mega-container.

Users who are viewing this thread