Costco vs Best Buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Cunningham, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

There will soon be a Costco in my city. I know some HTF members purchase DVDs at Costco. How does it compare with Best Buy... in terms of price, selection, and service?

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

DVDs are priced at costco on par with Best Buy's first week sale price on most titles, with Costco's price remaining until stock sells out. Costco primarily gets "hot" titles - or what they perceive to be hot and carries them until they are sold out. They might have up to 50 titles at a time, certainly not Best Buy selection. They get them week one but only carry them until that shipment is gone.
    Their service is on par with Best Buy's non-service (but it's a warehouse, so they have an excuse).
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

3. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Costco is cheaper than BB but doesn't have a big selection.

4. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

While Costco's selection is certainly more limited than BB, when it comes to 'big' titles there's nowhere else I'd rather go. You don't have to worry about getting there on release day to get something on sale before they run out of stock, and their prices are almost always close to the best deals out there. Plus their website lets you know far ahead of release time what they'll have and what their prices will be.

5. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Unless it's a box set - I hardly ever bother with Costco. The outlet near me is a combo warehouse and mega-supermarket. The housewife crowd is so thick I have to park about 1/2 mile from the front, and upon exiting, I wait on line behind 20 (or so) $200 + supermarket orders. It takes 1 1/2 hours just to save a buck per disc. I can get in and out of Best Buy in about 1/4 the time, and it is twice the distance from my house.
    ------------------

6. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

BB: Much larger selection. Lotsa catalog titles. Prices: so-so. Speed of purchase/convenience: fairly high.
    CC: small selection, mostly new titles. Great prices. slow on convenience unless you go just before closing.
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/chets808/home_theater_begin.html

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I don't have any Costco stores nearby, but my two rules for shopping at Best Buy are:
    1. Get there the first Tuesday if there's a specific new DVD you want.
    2. Check the weekly sales ads for good back-catalog sales. (They have the Austin Powers DVDs for $12.99 this week.)
    ------------------
    Scott
    TheAngryJew's Movie Reviews at HBS.com
    [Edited last by Scott Weinberg on July 23, 2001 at 10:41 PM]

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

You won't find anything other than new releases, and of those only the ones that hit big in the theaters at Costco. As others have said, prices stay the same as BB's first week prices until the title sells out.
    Costco is a nightmare to get out of due to the glut of large grocery orders. Especially do not get behind someone with a cart full of cartons of various brands of Cigarets. I do not go into Costco unless I plan on spending $100 or more.
    There's a chain of stores called The Wherehouse here in CA that sells all dvds for 20% under list.
    Better selection than Costco, not quite as good as BB, but easier and faster to get out of than either. Prices work out about the same as Costco.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Costco has great prices if you are looking to buy big box sets (IE: Kubrick... BB=$175 COSTCO=$125... Monty Python... BB=$150 COSTCO=$100) but on regular discs they are about $2-5 less than regular prices at other B&M and on par with BB's 1st week sales.
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

10. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Try WALMART. Those bastards have better prices than Best Buy most of the time and don't say anything! However, the selection isn't as good. [​IMG]

11. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    The online retailers loose all their business from me to CostCo when I am home from school. Their prices are the lowest. I am usually in and out in a half hour. True they only get major new releases and don't stock them for more then a month or so, but I usually buy on release date anyway, and they have gotten pretty much every title I want to buy.
    The big pet peeve: if their is a P&S release, they will stock that instead of the OAR release. In those cases I will go to Best Buy or order online so I can get what I want.
    You also have to factor in a $40-$50/year membership fee when comparing prices. A non-issue if friends or family have cards you can use though. [​IMG]