What's new

costco tv (1 Viewer)

tstrenuous10

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11042448&whse=BC&Ne=5000000+4000000&N=4001374%205000033&Mo=14&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

is this worth the 1000 bucks? i see it does 1080p but im not sure if there is something special i will need.

also, is costco a good place to get tvs? if their return policy is the same with all merchandise i could return it if money becomes a problem or if the screen begins to go.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

I've never bought online or know anyone who has but know people who have bought TVs. My brother bought a plasma a few years back (for his business) and took it back after deciding not to keep it many mos. later with no questions asked. Many of their things include one-year of in-home service (I've noticed from browsing the store). I just picked up a Vizio 32 inch LCD (just 720p) for the kitchen. I was looked at it a few weeks back but was not at the point of kitchen construction to hang it and the price was $799. When I went back last Sat., it was $699. Looks pretty good with the built in digital tuner. Obviously just for the kitchen (and mainly to watch news while I'm eating), nothing else will be hooked to mine so I did not need to analyze much else. The TV replaced an old 13 inch CRT I used that was mounted on one of those wall brackets and it stuck out a lot further than the new one.

kuliddar

Agent
I never considered buying my TV there. Would be nice to have some experiences both in the US and in Canada.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Good timing. A friend just aske me about buying TVs at Costco as well.
Any advice on the best bang-for-your-buck models available at Costco?
The friend is looking at the 42-50" size.

Possible models include:
Toshiba 50HP16 50" Plasma $2,499
Sharp LC-40C45U Aquos 45" LCD $2,499
Panasonic TH-42PX600U 42" Plasma $2,699
Panasonic TH-42PX6U 42" Plasma $1,999
Sony Bravia S Series 40" LCD $1,999
Philips (model # ?) 42" LCD $1,699

These models and more available here:
http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...hse=BC&topnav=

tstrenuous10

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
what is a built in digital tuner? does that mean i just dont need a seperate box for HD? would i need an HD Tuner if i had an AV Receiver that had HD hookups? I'm new to all of this and dont want to buy something thinking it will work.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I have almost pulled the trigger on a JVC HD56G .87 d-Ila 720p with stand at the local Costco. It is not shown on the web site so you will have to check your local store to see what is in stock. Otherwise you may be limited to the sets avbailable through the national site.

Reading the other posts and from experience I have heard that Costo has a liberal return policy.

They also have a Sony KDF 50x30 with stand.

Quess I can't discuss price but it compares favorably with the lowest on the internet - plus if you have a local store you can pick it up and take it back if a problem.

Decisions.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

A digital tuner is one that receives digital TV broadcasts, which include regular digital at 480i and also HD digital broadcasts at 1080i or 720p (with my Vizio TV). HD hook-ups on a av rec'r is one that can accept a particular bandwidth of (video) signals to route thru the rec'r if you chose to do so vs. hooking source devices (e.g. DVD players, VCRs) directly to the TV. I don't need anything to hook to my kitchen TV, but in general I prefer (which is not right for everyone) hooking devices directly to the TV vs. going thru another video switching source (e.g. the av rec'r). The advantage of going thru the audio video rec'r is the ability to select a source on the av rec'r and route the audio and video together. The disadvantage is extra cabling going from the source device and then from the rec'r to the TV display and going thru the switching in the rec'r.

If you need to see what is broadcast in your area in digital and HD over-the-air (you'll need an antenna) is to visit www.antennaweb.org, www.titantv.com and similar sites to figure out what can be rec'd in your area.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

I went with the Vizio brand - http://www.vizioce.com

Basically it was for the kitchen replacing a 13 inch CRT and my requirements were that it had a built in digital tuner to receive over the air HD broadcasts and I did not need to analyze many factors. Price wise, the Vizio is probably the lowest.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Costco has a 10 year return policy!!! Hard to beat that.

But they don't have any decent financing that I know of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks