What's new

Costco selection getting pretty bad (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Actually, I go to Costco to buy gas, groceries and pizza. :) If they happen to have a movie or game I want at a great price, I might pick it up.

They used to offer a lot of coupons for movies, but lately their coupon books have had very few of those.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I am thankful for this thread as I was seriously considering getting a membership due to the discount provided through my employer. Now.. I have no reason....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It ain't worth it for movies alone, but depending on your grocery-buying habits, a membership can easily pay for itself (especially a discounted membership).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And your electronics buying habits. Somewhat limited selection? Of course. But once you've done the homework on models and features and you know they've got the thing that works for you, you win.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by DellaStMedia
I've noticed over the course of about a year now - maybe a little more - the selection of Blu-ray titles at my local Costco (Greenville, SC) is getting worse and worse. I went today, and other than the nature documentaries, they only had 10 titles on Blu-ray. Anyone else experiencing this? Am I right in thinking this is more of a regional thing, meaning that people in my area are simply not buying them?
Same news here in West Des Moines, Iowa. The selection has really dwindled over the last few years. I've only been a member since 2007, but it's changed a lot in those 4 years. I purchase most of my discs now from Amazon or Target. If Best Buy has a sale price I usually just do a price match at Target.

I wish Costco would stock more blu rays though. They usually have lower prices on blu ray catalog titles.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I never saw the TZ sets at Costco either. Were they priced well?

I have season 1, but have not picked up 2 and 3 yet.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
I'll probably let my Costco membership lapse at the end of the year. My BJ's membership I'll probably keep because they still have a decent selection of cheap Blu-Rays, and there are various odds and ends I can get cheap enough to make the $50 annual fee worth it (I'm still working through a 20-pack of bar soap I bought there almost a year ago).

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And I'm sure hoping to see the upcoming Season 4 release there before long!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
And I'm sure hoping to see the upcoming Season 4 release there before long!
Yeah. It's too bad that the location near me isn't carrying these. I would pick them up for sure. 2-4 which I don't currently have...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton
Yeah. It's too bad that the location near me isn't carrying these. I would pick them up for sure. 2-4 which I don't currently have...

I was at the West Des Moines, IA Costco last night and Twilight Zone seasons 1-4 on blu ray are in stock! Picked up 2-4! $44.99 a season.

I also picked up Fiddler on The Roof on blu ray as well. $16 for that one.

Hopefully things get better with the blu ray selection in the future.

I was pretty happy to find these titles available at my local store.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Went into Costco today, just on the very off-chance that I might find Twilight Zone Season 5 on the rack. No such luck, of course, as Costco doesn't know from street dates except for major mainstream events like new Disney features. Well, no matter, they'll get there in time. That's not my complaint.

My complaint (or lament, I guess I should say) is how thoroughly depressing the selection is these days--even worse than posted of, above, several months back. I swear they've subtracted a couple more feet of display space, and so much of the selection appears to be big box-style combo packs that my brain started to go numb as I glanced over it. Further, this week they're displaying the least number of Blu-rays EVER. Just five disc-columns on the rack.

It's just depressing. And I'm just venting.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
CostCo started cutting back two years ago and have dwindled down to almost nothing.
They may add half a table before Christmas for holiday sales, but not for long.
Try Sams' Club.
Sams' Club stocks a larger inventory of Blu-rays and DVD's than CostCo.
Pricing is the same.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Last spring in Phoenix (Glendale store), I picked up the Kino special edition of Metropolis. Never expected to find that at Costco!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
The Costco I patronize in Waterbury, CT has a small selection of 3D Blu Rays a few months ago around the time that Green Hornet and Gnomeo and Juliet were released (I purchased both btw.) But that must not have been enough, because now the 3D section is gone. And I'd say that their DVD/BD display has lost about 2/3 of its display area as well.
41cac0a4_costco_3d_small.jpeg

Link to larger Image (unfortunately, not focused very well)

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I just want to commemorate the first holiday season -- in over a decade -- in which I bought not a single DVD or Blu-ray at Costco. And not by choice.

My most recent purchase was the Laurel & Hardy Essential Collection, a wonderful deal and I'm still thankful I got there in time to grab a perfect copy. I'll always browse the "selection" for the occasional surprise when in the store, but this month I found I'd trained myself pretty well to not get my hopes up as I approach the aisle.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I too found nothing at Costco this season. I browse every time I go, but I too have given up hope of finding anything.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
I was at my Costco in Honolulu and was able to purchase all four seasons of MAD MEN in Blue Ray for about twelve dollars each just before Christmas. The store also had the complete Mel Brooks collections of movies on Blue Ray for about forty dollars. Beside MAD MAN and the MEL BROOKS COLLECTION, they still have the following titles in Blue Ray.
SOUND OF MUSIC (Deluxe) $39.95
WEST SIDE STORY (Deluxe) $45.000 (?)
LORD OF THE RINGS (Extended)
PLANET OF THE APES (Complete) $29.95
ROCKY (Complete) $29.95
THey had in the recent past only on DVD, the deluxe editions of CITIZEN KANE and BEN HUR and the price I believe was about forty dollars. Clint Eastwood 's 'The Man With No Name' trilogy in Blue Ray was 29.95. I was also able to get the deluxe set of both GETTYSBURG movies on Blue Ray for about forty dollars. My Costco only had the first season on BD of THE TWILIGHT ZONE and Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS.
-Claude

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'll occasionally find a good deal at Costco (Stardust for $9.99) but I'm usually disappointed for one reason or another. The closest store is a business center, so they have no movies...but I only go there when I'm in a hurry. The bigger stores haven't had anything which caught my eye in the last few months. IIRC, they were insanely more expensive than anywhere else on Cars 2 on release week. That was hugely disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks