What's new

Costco or Sam's Club? (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi,

My wife and I are current members of Sam's Club. Within a month, Costco will be moving into the area for the first time.

For those who have belonged to both clubs, do you have a preference as which is better or is it a push? Sam's seems to have gravitated away from the individual consumer towards the small business owner. We still find plenty of reasons to shop there though.

Thanks,

Steve

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We use costco more then Sam's club, and probably next year will drop the sam's club membership. Sam's club has some deals Costco doesn't and vice versa. This is primarily related to brand names, etc. But on a daily basis, Costco served us better, though the grocery selection between the two tended to favor Sam's club.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Costco stores don't have a fixed corporate-wide "merchandise" list - you will find different items offered for sale even here in the six or seven Costco stores in the San Jose area. Each store's management has lot of latitude in what he carries. The ones around here have really superior groceries, but that may change depending upon what part of the country you live in. Where exactly do you live?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
KC.

Yep, depends. All of our Costco's seem to carry almost identical items.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have always liked Costco, but lately I have dubbed it Discontinueco. There have been several items I have regularly bought there that they stop carrying and it is quite annoying. And for DVDs, Best Buy is undercutting them on many things now, even multi disc sets.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Costco is not a good buy on DVDs or books.

But baby wipes? Damn.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Will the new Costco be selling gas? That's why I still stick with Costco over Sam's Club as the gas price/gallon is usually a dime or more cheaper than any other local gas station near me. I also tend to buy my tires at Costco as well.

Costco's everyday DVD prices aren't great on release week, but after that initial release week, their DVD prices are as good as or better than most stores everyday DVD prices. Plus, I scored quite a few season sets during their WB/FOX TV season sets this weekend, so they can offer some good deals, just have either be prepared to take advantage when the deals materialize.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Really? I've not found a source yet that can beat Costco on multi-disc DVD sets or books.

They do get beat on DVD's during release week, but often have the lower everyday price after the gimmicks have ended. Plus they often have unannounced in-store discounts on DVD's. Got Disney's "Mulan" for $13.29 ($5 instant rebate) this past weekend.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I bought my CostCo membership specifically for the purchase of DVD sets, usually priced around $5.00 under places like Best Buy.

Every so often there's also an insane discount. Need I mention last year's Alien Quadrilogy?

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
We prefer Costco, but my husband works there so that may have something to do with it.

We've been to many different wharehouse stores and frankly Costco has a much nicer store. They keep their aisles nice and clean and neat. All the end caps are pushed back and always even with shelving. They have done a great job of redoing the center floor items. There is always an employee available to help.

Bj's is sloppy and I hate the whole grocery check out counter feel they have going on (magazines and gum displays at the check out), Sam's has never been neat or clean looking when we have gone in. Their aisles are always messy and the employees never seem to be around to help.

My husband has an eye for these kinds of things and he hates messy stores and stores that have no organization.... I mean he stopped going to Home Depot for that reason. Lowes is just much cleaner and well organized.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Now that you mention it, CostCo is very neat and tidy in comparison to even some non-warehouse stores. My nearest Fry's depresses me with its dim lighting and shabby organization. Plus, I'm supportive of anything that can actually give the Wal-Mart coporation a run for its money.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I've had both. I actually prefer the beef at Sam's, but that's the only thing. We just dropped Sam's.

And, yes, I get my gas at Costco. Definitely a big reason for staying with them.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Wal-Mart owns Sans Club and theres a snowballs chance in Hell of me giving Wal-Mart my money; so its Costco for me. And like stated above: Costco have gas stations.

As far as DVD prices. I would rather pay a few bucks more than give Wal-Mart, BB or CC my money. Target, Costco or Suncoast (sometimes) can have my business.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to all who responded. Costco is offering a no risk membership in that they will refund unusued portion if you decide to cancel after signing up. We will sign up and see what it is all about.

I don't know if this one will have a gas station. The Sam's does, but I never use it because two people told me their car got "indigestion" after using this gas.

Steve

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The Costco gas is much higher quality than Sam's. Sam's is the only gas that I've ever put in my car that made it run strange. The engine would miss out on occasion and overall just seemed to run less than optimal.

I've had no problem with Costco gas.

I still have both memberships but I use the Costco one far more. Sam's is a block away from me so I will use it if I'm in more of a hurry, but I prefer Costco.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
On the philisophical-

Costco seems to treat their employees a lot better than Sam's, WRT wages and benefits. A friend of mine worked there for several years, and actually made a decent-enough salary to purchase a home in my neighborhood. Plus, you see lots of employee badges that say "since 199x," so it shows some loyalty on both ends.

No issues here with Costco gas, either. Plus, they have the Infocus 4805 with 76" screen for $1399. What's not to like?:)

Todd (not a Costco employee)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
As a Costco Gold Club member, I definitely prefer that place. Not only do they have a great selection of items, but also at lunchtime you can get free food samples out of the wazoo. :D

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, we have the best of both worlds. The wife has a membership for Costco through work and we have a membership to Sam's Club just because it is so close to our house, although their selection of DVDs has gotten pitiful over the last year that I usually buy the first week from Best Buy now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks