What's new

Costco membership quirks (and a way to get 30 days "free") (1 Viewer)

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I renewed my Costco membership tonight--or rather, I started a new membership and, in doing so, got a lot more for my money than I expected.

I haven't used my membership for several months--it expired in November 2001. When I went back to renew tonight, I was told that if I renewed my membership, it would expire in November 2002. Naturally, I questioned the economics of a renewal: why I would renew at full price only to get six months' use from the membership? The associate grinned and said, "doesn't make any sense, does it?"

I asked what my options were. She said if I started a new membership, I would get a full 12 months' use for the same $45 fee. Further, Costco membership runs in full-month increments, so if you renew at the beginning of the month, in effect you get an additional few weeks of membership for the same price (i.e., a membership started on April 30 expires at the end of April the following year; a membership started May 1--just one day later--is good through the end of May of the following year, giving you an extra 30 days of membership for no extra cost.)

The moral of this story is to avoid rushing into a renewal if it's been awhile since your membership elapsed (just start a new membership instead). And always try to start a new Costco membership at the beginning of the month!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think it works at Sam's. My membership with them routinely expires every year (they're far away and I only visit a few times a year) and when I visit the store and renew, it's good for 12 months from the date I renew. It's not based on my prior membership. And they measure from the day of renewal, not in full month increments. My last membership expired on December 8. Say I renew again on April 19, my membership will be good until April 19, 2003.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks