Costco can drive you crazy!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by William Miller, May 31, 2006.

1. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I pay my dues to Costco every year mainly to save money on DVD's. Oh sure, I also buy the 12 pack of tuna and the 36 pack of Pepsi and the 48 pack of toilet paper. Costco always seem to have a better selection than Sam's Club on classic movies which is my main interest. They also seem to have a great relationship with 20th and Warners and generally have a good track record carrying many of their releases.

I especially like to go to Costco on Tuesday when a new Warner box set is due out. There is a Best Buy 10 minutes from my house but since the box sets are so much cheaper at Costco, I take the 30 minute drive to my nearest Costco because even with gas at $3.00 per gallon, it still is worth it. But you never know what they will have on Tuesday. There is no rhyme or reason to what they get or don't get. This Tuesday, I went expecting to find the new Bette Davis box. But no, they did not have it. They had the last 6 Warner boxes on street date but not this time. Best Buy had it for $48.99 but it would have been around $35 at Costco. Now if I would have just not worried about going to Costco and bought the set at Best Buy, I would have seen an HTF member post a comment with the news that he bought it at Costco for $34.99. That has happened in the past.

You might ask me, why don't you call Costco first to see if they have it? Ha! That's a good one. Hello Costco, do you have the new Bette Davis DVD box set? Bette who? Box set? DVD? Huh? Let me check the computer...you know we are not supposed to do this...let's see..I don't see it but wait I think we might have it but it's hard to tell. Oh yes, we have 12 copies..wait..no that's not the right one, etc.

You might ask me, why don't you just preorder it online? That's no fun. It's neat to look forward to Tuesdays and walk into a store and see what you want and pick a nice copy that won't have bashed in corners like you get in the mail.

Costco also did not have the new Marilyn Monroe box set. I have all of them already but the anal part of me wanted the new packaging which is terrific. They had 3 of the single titles. Costco can drive you crazy. Best Buy did not have this set either.

And just to totally frustrate you with the Warner sets, if you wait a few months, the chances are high that Costco will offer them at incredibly low prices. For instance, right now they have the Steve McQueen, Errol Flynn and Marx Brothers box sets at $19.99 each.

O.K. I feel better now.

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    I know what you mean. Not only do you not know what they'll get in, you don't know how long they'll carry it either.

The Costco near me had the Tennessee Williams set out a week BEFORE the street date for $40.00. I was a fool not to pick it up that day, as now they DON'T have it. Same with the MGM Pink Panther Cartoon set. They had it for $38.99, and I passed it up saying "next week." Well, next week, they weren't carrying it anymore. I've learned my lesson. When it comes to Costco, if I see it I'm going to buy it that day: you never know when or if they're going to get it back in.

But it's such fun to walk up to the table and see what's on it and for how much (or should I say, how little?!)

3. WillG

WillG Producer

Don't beat yourself up over that. They would not have let you purchase it anyway. It's in their system to not ring up a DVD title before street date.

But I know what you mean about Costco. There were so many food items that I would buy there, get hooked on, or was sold at a great deal and they they would discontinue the item.

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I often check the Coupons and Bargains thread on this forum. The Weekly Round-up will list who has what for what price. Or failing that, that thread will comment if anyone got a title at a particular retailer

5. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

Shoot, maybe other places should start that too. I picked up a June 6 release on Sunday. There weren't one or two on the shelf...the whole thing was full.

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

To be honest, I've never been that impressed by Costco's selection or prices on DVDs. Unless they are running a super special on something, I tend to go elsewhere.

I especially don't go there to try to find something on street date, since it isn't a prime motivation of theres to get things out on the floor.

I was talking to a friend of mine who was a long time BJs member, and was looking at Costco because they had some closer stores. In the end, tho, they decided that they didn't offer enough of the things that they buy, including DVDs.

Jason

7. WillG

WillG Producer

True, they never beat the B&Ms when it comes to newly released, single film DVDs, but as others have pointed out, they can be very good when it comes to boxed sets, two packs and catalog titles. Guess it goes with their buy in bulk business.

8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Sometimes their prices are the best I've seen, you just have to pick and choose, and sometimes wait for a month or so. This weekend they had the new 2-disc special editions of the Batman films for $9.99 each, so I finally got those. Had some WB Cary Grant discs for $7.99 (Bacehlor & The Bobby Soxer and Mr. Blandings Build his Dream House) which I finally grabbed too. It pays to wait sometimes.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

After that first-week, loss-leader pricing, though, they're generally lower than other stores. And they often have unannounced combo deals (check for signs in the store) and box set blow-outs (such as the current Green Acres and Mr. Ed sets for $12.99 each; and Star Trek:TNG sets for $44.99).

10. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

I love getting boxed sets from costco. I was hoping they would get the buffy sets as I just need season 7 to complete my collection.....sadly they did not have them. I did see the newer x-files sets.

11. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

COSTCO should know by now to create a dedicated, expandable, professional DVD display area, instead of the hodgepodge way they do it now-boxes hidden under boxes that you cannot get at, stacks of titles in the middle of the island that are hard to see or reach-surely it costs more for the special long box packaging they use. Why not invest in the type of displays you see in B&M stores?
    And their music selection is rather anemic-and then only if you happen to want the top 5 radio friendly commercial pop.
    They should cut out selling CDs and dedicate more space for dvds-their CD prices are not much different than many B&M or online stores anyway.
    I have gotten some good DVD deals at COSTCO-THE DARK CRYSTAL and MONTY PYTHON-HOLY GRAIL SE boxes for an astounding $18.99! (usually $29-39 at most stores.) LOST IN SPACE season 1 for $45...etc.etc...

12. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

How dare this high-volume discount store not offer me red-carpet, white-glove service! This is an outrage! I demand satisfaction! [​IMG]

The best selection/service I've found at a B&M store is Barnes & Noble, although there you get maybe just 10% off list if you're lucky, plus another 10% if you have a member card. The staff is quite knowledgeable and helpful.

I've never been to Costco, but at Target, I figure what's on the rack is on the rack, and that's it. Asking the staff questions? Don't bother.

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I feel your pain. If I ever buy a DVD at Costco it is because of sheer damn luck they happened to carry the title that day.

And they aren't that cheap anyways - at least during the first week of release.

(Costco in Canada)

It is also annoying that you see a coupon for an external 300 gig hard drive on say next month, but I end up buying it right now because 90% of the time Costco will not have it in stock by then. But damn, that hard drive is cheap even without the $30 coupon. [​IMG]

Oh, and if you visit a different Costco, their stock can be totally different!

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    You can always return the hard drive if they still have it when the coupon takes effect. [​IMG]

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I'm not much of a Costco fan. I don't have a membership, but sometimes go with others who do. I go to the DVD section while they shop. I can't see how anyone could go there regularly, since as stated, the layout is a mess.

No real rhyme or reason as to what DVDs are where. Just sort of thrown out there in boxes, one on top of the other. Shopping is a mess. And, I've never seen any titles that aren't in the top say 50 DVD titles. A very small selection. And not to mention, they seem to have more full frame titles than widescreen if the DVD is released both ways.

They do have good prices for the box sets. But for your average title, it isn't worth shopping, especially after the time spent digging to find it.

I will say they have great prices on TVs. I got a very good 17 inch widescreen HDTV for $300 there. Couldn't find any prices close to that elsewhere.

16. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

I disagree. I don't see nearly as many $12.99 and $9.99 price points online or certainly at other b&m stores as I do at Costco. And not unlike many others have mentioned regarding DVD box sets, their CD box set prices are tough to beat unless you count used product.

For all the reasons you mention and more, William, I used to regularly cruise the DVD section at my local Costco. I think a significant difference that has led my interest in what they stock to dwindle while yours has remained steadfast is that I'm very interested in high def and not as interested in buying classic film DVDs.

Another trend I've noted in three-four years of shopping there is that their DVD selection has become less dynamic and both it and the CD sections have shrunk compared to . . . the games section. Although I mainly buy CDs on Amazon Marketplace these days, I wouldn't want to see their CD section disappear. I'd rather see it continue and have them scale back games and standard def DVD to accommodate both high def DVD formats.

Finally, if anyone reading this is near the Lake Elsinore, California Costco, please PM or e-mail me. Thanks.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Well, it is supposed to be cut-rate, no-frills, warehouse shopping, but I do understand your frustration. And you can find some goodies on occasion if you start moving boxes around.

18. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

Amen. I was/am a perennial a box mover at Costco. That's how I found--after they'd long stopped carrying it--one lone copy of The World War II Collection: Saving Private Ryan for ~$35 instead of its list $45 (later raised to circa $50).

19. I don't have any store memberships, but I occasionally go along for a ride to see how the other half lives.

Despite relatives who gush about buying 50 pounds of pancake mix, I wasn't impressed with the selection of DVDs or electronics.

The whole thing resembled a well-organized indoor flea market with no predicable inventory.

20. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'm at Costco nearly every week to buy groceries and household goods, but I wouldn't bother making a special trip there to browse the DVD section (except for the occasional super-deal that pops up).