What's new

Costco Blu-ray and dvd deals (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing all of the above. Although I gave up my BJs membership years ago so I don't know what any of the warehouse stores are doing anymore.

But my local Wal-Marts and Targets have all but eliminated their CD sections. Just a very slim portion that takes up about a third of one side of a single aisle. Can't be more than a few dozen distinct titles. Target's movie section is also taking a hit. Wal-Mart's not as much. (I pointed this phenomenon out to my disinterested wife the other night... "Honey, look how small this CD section is!" Peg responded, "You're a dinosaur!")

And my remaining FYE stores continue to shrink their media sections to embarrassingly small amounts. One, I think, has more vinyl records than it does movie releases. Of course, the stores are geared to entertainment tschotchkes (t-shirts, vinylk dolls, candy, etc.)

And my Best Buy DOES seem to be expanding its media section...with an emphasis on 4k. That IS really a huge surprise (and a reversal of past fortunes). It also seems like BB also is beefing up their CD sections after nearly eliminating them a year or so ago.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My chief complaint about Best Buy is that no one seems to know the difference between media discs and a beer mat. They also have never seen or heard of any movie even the ones playing beside them at the mall. Everything must be looked for on the computer and this only tells them if they have it not where it is!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm seeing all of the above. Although I gave up my BJs membership years ago so I don't know what any of the warehouse stores are doing anymore.

But my local Wal-Marts and Targets have all but eliminated their CD sections. Just a very slim portion that takes up about a third of one side of a single aisle. Can't be more than a few dozen distinct titles. Target's movie section is also taking a hit. Wal-Mart's not as much. (I pointed this phenomenon out to my disinterested wife the other night... "Honey, look how small this CD section is!" Peg responded, "You're a dinosaur!")

And my remaining FYE stores continue to shrink their media sections to embarrassingly small amounts. One, I think, has more vinyl records than it does movie releases. Of course, the stores are geared to entertainment tschotchkes (t-shirts, vinylk dolls, candy, etc.)

And my Best Buy DOES seem to be expanding its media section...with an emphasis on 4k. That IS really a huge surprise (and a reversal of past fortunes). It also seems like BB also is beefing up their CD sections after nearly eliminating them a year or so ago.
It's hard to tell with the new arrangement of the Target media section but, if you consider they aren't using long boxes, Target has about as many CDs as they did when CDs first started going big ... But not as many as they may have had in the past.

The new arrangement, DVDs and blurays mixed in with each other makes it more difficult for Target shoppers to find a specific non-new release or children's disc. (Though not as hard as when Best Buy filed the revised My Fair Lady bluray under "Action/Adventure" :O)

I haven't been to Best Buy in a couple of months, but it seems as they see 4KUHD as the savior that will keep them out of Chapter 8 or 11 bankruptcy...

Back to Costco I can only GUESS there may be some box sets (eg TV shows & complete movie series) from the majors ... Keep in mind Costco now only sells Samsung Bluray or 4KUHD players (one model of each) I don't recall seeing Sony TV sets in the warehouse ...

(Post typed using an HP Computer using Samsung 32 in 10809 TV for a display attached to Sony & Samsung bluray players all bought as Costco) (7.1 Sony receiver and most Cerwin-Vega! speakers purchased at Best Buy) (Sony power Sub-woofer purchased at Wal*Mart Phillips 4KUHD Player purchased on clearance at Target :cool:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's hard to tell with the new arrangement of the Target media section but, if you consider they aren't using long boxes, Target has about as many CDs as they did when CDs first started going big ... But not as many as they may have had in the past.

This is most decidedly NOT the case in my closest Target, Bryan. I'll take a picture the next time I'm there. Besides a smaller amount of space, they've also transitioned to a cascading layout which limits the amount of product in that reduced space. I'm talking about a fraction of one side of an aisle. No more end caps even (with new releases)!

Normally I never would have even mentioned such a thing to my wife...but I was so gobsmacked by the situation I couldn't help myself.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My chief complaint about Best Buy is that no one seems to know the difference between media discs and a beer mat. They also have never seen or heard of any movie even the ones playing beside them at the mall. Everything must be looked for on the computer and this only tells them if they have it not where it is!
That's been the case for some time ... back in the VHS era BB has "all [VHS]Comedies on Sale" When I brought Young Frankenstein to the check-out the price did not ring up with the discount automatically. I explained to the young lady that YF was indeed a comedy and should get the sale price (NOTE: IT said in the description on the back of the tape it was a comedy and it was actually filed in the Comedy section.

She had to call a Media Manager over

Clerk:"Is Young Frankenstein a comedy?"
MM: "I don't know I'll have to check!" I went with him to show him it was in the Comedy section ...
MM: "So, is Young FrankenSTINE funny?"
Me "It's FRANKenSTEEN & yes it is..." :dance:

My favorite experience in the computer area is when I asked a blueshirt "Does this sound card take 30 PIN SIMMS?"
BS: I don't know but it would be cool if it did?" :rolleyes:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The new f
This is most decidedly NOT the case in my closest Target, Bryan. I'll take a picture the next time I'm there. Besides a smaller amount of space, they've also transitioned to a cascading layout which limits the amount of product in that reduced space. I'm talking about a fraction of one side of an aisle. No more end caps even (with new releases)!

Normally I never would have even mentioned such a thing to my wife...but I was so gobsmacked by the situation I couldn't help myself.
The new fixtures have product that goes down to the floor ... but I agree they went from two & a half rows to one row ... but "everyone" buys their music on the Interwebs now ;)

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil

I completely agree Mike. Two years ago, my closest SuperTarget had two double-sided aisles of CDs, plus endcaps. Today, it is half of one side of an aisle. AND they have cut the DVD/Blu section in the past few weeks by a full aisle. There has been no expansion at my closest BB, but no reduction either. I typically find that if I want something that is NOT a new release, but still in their circular, I still have to order it online from BB.com.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One of the things that says to me that BBs are expanding their inventory is that besides the dedicated racks of product, they are drastically increasing free-standing racks and free-standing themed displays near the end caps (and even spreading into other departments) and into the main aisles in my local store.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
but "everyone" buys their music on the Interwebs now ;)

mpNxy.gif
And I thought us dinosaurs listened to music on discs! :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Costco is featuring the Samsung UBD KM-85 4K blu-ray player ($150) and tons of 4K TV's in their upcoming holiday/Black Friday sale flyer. Seems odd they'd not have any media available you can play on them?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
One of the things that says to me that BBs are expanding their inventory is that besides the dedicated racks of product, they are drastically increasing free-standing racks and free-standing themed displays near the end caps (and even spreading into other departments) and into the main aisles in my local store.
I'm seeing the same exact thing here.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My Costco is down to 2 titles, spider man and Wonder Woman.

Sign of the times...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Going to my Costco in the morning. Will report back, but I am not optimistic.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Hit my local Costco this afternoon. They had about 10 copies of Spider Man, lying flat on the table. And they had a free-standing cardboard display for Cars 3-- $19.99 for the DVD/Blu combo.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hit my local Costco this afternoon. They had about 10 copies of Spider Man, lying flat on the table. And they had a free-standing cardboard display for Cars 3-- $19.99 for the DVD/Blu combo.

EXACTLY what I found!

The whole aisle was books, books and books.

Just a Cars 3 display and a couple stacks of Spider-Man.

No PBS titles.

You would think that if Costco was going to ramp up their selection for Christmas, it would be now.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just got back form my Costco Ron, and it's as dismal as yours. One standing display of Cars 3 and NOTHING in the former Blu-ray/DVD section except for War for the Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man: Homecoming. I think that any meaningful selection of physical media at Costco is officially dead:

IMG_3200.JPG

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well that's disappointing. I haven't been to Costco in a while, but assume my store will be the same as the rest. Caesar's expression on the cover of WFPOA sums up my feelings exactly if they're not having any media selection this holiday season.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Yes, home video at Costco is a thing if the past. My local store, which twice told me there would be a ramp up for Christmas, is now telling me there won't be. They will no longer be carrying classics/catalog titles is what I was told.

Not a surprise since the warning signs have been there the past several months. It was especially telling when they didn't get their usual Time Life exclusive set for Laugh In and none of their magazines, catalogs had any substantial ads for home video for Christmas.

Such a shame as I bought a TON at Costco over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks