What's new

Costco Blu-ray and dvd deals (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I dropped my Sam's membership when they stopped carrying DVDs/Blu-rays and CDs.
And oddly, while Costco keeps cutting their shelfspace for movies and TV, BJ's Club has maintained their stock--two full racks (probably 200+ titles). They have pretty good prices on older Paramount single season sets, the newer partial-series sets from Paramount/CBS (usually the first half of Cheers, Matlock, Mission Impossible, I Love Lucy, etc.). And they have a lot of the Millcreek complete series sets for $10-$20 cheaper than Wal-Mart or Target. And, lots of kids stuff.
That must vary by store, or they've recently beefed up their inventory. The BJ's I belong to has cut their movies/TV to practically nothing. Last time I was there (a couple months ago), they had a couple TV series sets, a couple new releases, and a few kids movies.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
The cash back on the Costco credit card probably pays for the membership for me. And there are a few things I buy there. Currently I have a Sams, Costco and BJ's membership. (The BJs was a groupon 25 dollar special) All of them are a distance away. When Costco builds a new store 4 or 5 miles from my I will probably drop the other two memberships.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have a Costco membership because it charges the lowest dispensing fee for prescriptions. We buy all our drugs there and go shopping for groceries at the same time. They do usually have a few new release Blu rays when they first come out although it is never easy to find 3D.
Our problem is food. What tastes good in a free sample is not nearly so tasty when the 2 of us reach the bottom of the 50 lb. bag!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The Costco Connection indicates they will have Spiderman Homecoming on Bluray in stores on release week ... as the number of selections in my store is decreased by half this weeks

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Went to my Costco yesterday

This was it
IMG_2301_zpswuklpehv.jpg

Sad, very "end of era" feeling. I know Costco could never have a huge selection of DVD/BD, but occasionally you could really score with Criterions, TV sets (I was reminded when I was able to get all four volumes of "Batman: The Animated Series for Iike $12 a pop). Sometimes they would have WB limited edition boxed sets (Wizard of Oz, Dark Knight Trilogy, Willy Wonka, 60s Batman) for good prices. I was able to get the "locker" set of "The Wonder Years" for a highly discounted price. All those moments will be lost like tears in rain.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

This was it
IMG_2301_zpswuklpehv.jpg

Sad, very "end of era" feeling. I know Costco could never have a huge selection of DVD/BD, but occasionally you could really score with Criterions, TV sets (I was reminded when I was able to get all four volumes of "Batman: The Animated Series for Iike $12 a pop). Sometimes they would have WB limited edition boxed sets (Wizard of Oz, Dark Knight Trilogy, Willy Wonka, 60s Batman) for good prices. I was able to get the "locker" set of "The Wonder Years" for a highly discounted price. All those moments will be lost like tears in rain.

That's a huge selection compared to what I've seen at my store lately. You're right, I bought many of my WHV box sets back and in the day at Costco plus some of the Time Life exclusive sets. It was very telling when Laugh In didn't get its own set. Similarly I bought a lot of the CBS Paramount TV sets at Sams Club. Those days are all gone with the wind.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will,

I tried enlarging your photo best I could. Is that $59.95 for the VIETNAM set? Not a bad price if it is.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

This was it
IMG_2301_zpswuklpehv.jpg

I wish my store had The Vietnam War Bluray just WW UHD & bluray ...King Arthur (already $15.00 at Wal*Mart) for ca $20.00 and Disney blurays ... Consider yourself lucky

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It'll be interesting to see what they do for holiday shopping. In the past they've brought in quite a number of additional titles for the giving season. I wonder if that will happen this year?

If they do, grab what you want when you see it. They pack up the leftovers and send them back right after Dec 25.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It'll be interesting to see what they do for holiday shopping. In the past they've brought in quite a number of additional titles for the giving season. I wonder if that will happen this year?

If they do, grab what you want when you see it. They pack up the leftovers and send them back right after Dec 25.
They used to have some great after holidays discounts on the remaining sets ...:(

I always felt that Costco really contributed a great deal for our hobby - WB, Sony, & Fox (et al) could all create box sets (eg) with the knowledge that their intrinsic costs would be covered by the reduced price sets and the profit would be made on those sold by normal retail channels ...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My Costco ONLY had SpiderMan Homecoming Bluray for $22.99 no other non-audio book discs :(

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Just got home from shopping at my Costco in Raleigh, NC. The piddly selection they had two weeks ago has been reduced to only 2 titles--the new Spiderman and the live-action Beauty & The Beast, with only 10 copies of each. Meanwhile, they had probably 50 different selections of audio books. So discouraging.

And, to add insult to injury, I stopped at my local BJ's Wholesale Club. Two weeks ago, they had probably 200 different titles in stock (probably about 400 total copies). Today, they had a few copies each of the Top 10 releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My local Costco's finally stopped displaying DVD's and Blu-ray's altogether. Bummer.

That kind of puts the nail in the coffin, Raul. Other stores will certainly follow.

Surprised that this is happening during holiday season. You would think they would wait till January.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks