What's new

cost of living in Chicago vs. NYC (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I am considering taking a job in either Chicago or NYC, however, I am concerned that the cost of living would be simply too high in NYC to even consider that location. Although I would likely be working in downtown Chicago or Manhattan at either job, I would prefer to live outside of the city in a suburb (prefarably in a studio apartment). I know that many forum members live in or near NYC, and my question is this:

"Is it possible to find an apartment within reasonable distance from Manhattan that is in a safe area and costs around $700 or $800 per month (excluding utilities)?"
Please note here that I'm not limiting myself to New York, but would also consider New Jersey, Connecticut, etc. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

This depends, of course, upon your definitions of "reasonable distance" and "a safe area."

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

It is not likely. I rented an apartment in NJ for $800/month a few years ago. It was a mediocre apartment with two bedrooms, but it was over 1 hour (without traffic) to Manhattan.
Since that time, I can only assume the rent has gotten worse. Since 9/11, NJ real estate prices (and I would imagine those in Connecticut and upstate NY) have gone up dramatically.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies - I figured as much. I checked out some cost of living calculators and they stated that Chicago is about 4% more expensive than Milwaukee, however, New York is somewhere around 4 million% more expensive than Milwaukee. Obviously, I know that NYC is much more costly, but I was trying to figure out if it would be possible (and I didn't think so). I'll think I'll limit my search to Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois.

Thanks again!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
A friend of ours got a 1 bedroom apartment in Chicago but its not in a great area at all and in the outer suburbs and she is paying $900 a month. If you wanted to live downtown, it will be more. It depends on what part of Chicago you want to live in but it's going to be not in a good area for $700-$800 a month. NYC is much worse from what I could tell when I was there last.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Scott:

For $700-800 a month, you could probably find a small 1-bedroom or studio in Brooklyn or Queens that would be liveable and in an acceptable area, but you're likely looking at a 45-60 minute commute, one-way, to lower Manhattan, for example. Impossible? No. Doable? Yes. Desireable? Don't know.

Remember to factor in your commuting costs, such as a monthly subway pass.

You'd do better if you had a way of identifying a roommate to share the costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks