What's new

Cost of adding heat pump (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just ordered an info packet from my local utility that provides an interest free loan for installing a heat pump. I have all the duct work and an electric furnace already so I'm curious how much the addition of a heat pump would run. The loan is a maximum of $7,000 over five years. I'm thinking I wouldn't need that much.

My house can get pretty warm during July and August so I've been looking at window installed or portable air conditioners. The one I would LIKE to get if I go that route is the Maytag from Home Despot for 500.00. But if the addition of a heat pump is around the 1500.00 range I figure that's a better way to go.

Thoughts?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
need more info, how big is your house?
what is your current heat? forced air gas? baseboard electric? Forced air electric? (ugh)
Has the house been "prewired" for AC?

You're probably not going to get the heatpump installed for 1500, a 3 ton heatpump and coil is going to cost you about that just for the equipment, plus figure 8 hours of labor at about 75 an hour, plus a couple hundred for the electrical, but it varies wildly from house to house, it's really a vague ballpark. Location makes a difference in equipment sizing too.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
1300 sq ft. living area
currently using forced air electric
don't know if pre-wired

Thanks.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
well, you're looking at 2500 or so anyway. Though a heat pump is a hell of a lot cheaper than forced air electric to heat.. as long as it's above about 32F out

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks