Cost of a Rear End?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JohnE, Dec 7, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Any mechanical types around who can offer some insight? I've got an 84 GMC S-15. I'm told the rear end has gone kaput, and I'm trying to figure out what it will cost me. I'm not terribly mechanical, but if the job is not to difficult, and the savings are signifigant, I would consider giving it a go myself.

So can anyone give me a ballpark what it might cost new to have the job done vs. buying one from a wrecking yard and doing it myself?

Thanks.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

If you just need to replace the ring & pinion assembly it might cost $200+. If you need to replace the entire rear end, it could cost $750+ before labor.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Hmm, I was thinking this might have been an adult themed thread. Maybe a 'menu' inquiry into some of the rural Nevada 'attractions'.

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    John,
    Im not too familiar with S-15's but most rear ends require some skills and tools. The ring & Pinin on my Chevy requires specific tolerances or it wont go very far.

Labor for something like this can be expensive.

New gears for my truck ran about $1200 installed, labor will kill you [​IMG]

You might be better off finding an entire rear end at a junk yard and puttin it on yourself.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Isn't this a family forum?

If you look in the jennicam thread, Danny Tse is selling some soiled underwear...[​IMG]

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Jay

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Try an OFFROAD type shop instead of your local mechanic. Many of these shops must re-gear rear differentials due to larger tire fitments. Most of these shops buy these ring & pinion sets for very cheap. For example a 5.5" lifted S/10 truck running 32" tires, we will re-gear it (complete with axle bearings and seals) for $599, compare that to the $800-$1200 a standard shop or even a specialized gear shop would charge. Yes, all American made bearings and seals. Look into(or ask) for the brand Geniune Gear (all Timken bearings and seals). Very reasonable price.

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Head over to http://www.s10forum.com They can probably help you out over there. I would be that someone has some used parts for you.

You might even want to head out to a junkyard and yank a complete rear end from some other truck.

8. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

10. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I guess, if you dont know what to look for.

Ive found 2 rear ends for myself and have found another 3 or so with friends.

Im not sure what kinda shops Zen is referring to, but the price i quoted above is what "off-road" shops down here in TX usually charge.

I wouldnt trust my truck to just a regular mechanic, but then you might not have a 4x4 and arent as anal retentive as i am [​IMG]

11. Wes_B

Wes_B Extra

It would be much easier (and cheaper) to find a good used complete rearend and swap it out. I almost did this with my Z28 but I found a deal on gears.

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

13. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

You should be able to find a decent replacement rear axle at a reputable salvage yard for less than $250. As far as replacing it that is not too difficult, four bolts on the pinion yoke(back of driveshaft), 4 bolts holding the leaf springs to the axle, 2 shock bolts. Transferring all the assorted brake hardware might be a little trickier but if you only disassemble one side at a time you can look at the other side as a reference for putting it back together.