What's new

cost not being a factor..would you get SVS 25-31PCi or Paradigm PW-2200? Why? (1 Viewer)

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
I am torn between these two subs. I am trying to find out from other more knowledgeable members, reasons for or against- other than the price difference. I would like to get the SVS 20-39PCi, but the WAF with the taller tube is not happening. Oh, about a 70/30 HT/Music split with Studio 40's and CC.

Thanks in advance,

DJ

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
Also, is there a major difference in the placement options I have between the two, i.e. distance from walls or corners?

Thanks again.

DJ

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Placement will be the same. Except the SVS will allow you to get closer to the wall. The SVS is ported out the top and the driver is on the bottom so you can snug it right up to the wall. The PW2200 needs some breathing room for the driver and port (5" in both cases would be enough so not a big deal).

The SVS will go louder and lower than the PW2200 (SVS has more power, likely more displacement ability and it is tuned lower than the PW2200). I think the SVS will be slightly cleaner too (can't say for sure as I haven't heard the SVS yet, but I'm speaking from my DIY knowledge and experience on making that statement).

I'd personally pick the SVS, unless I was in Canada as then the PW2200 could be had for a price that makes the extra money for the SVS seem not quite worth it. If I was in the US however, the SVS should be cheaper and barring WAF becomes a no brainer to me.

Either sub should keep you happy though. Performance wise the SVS will make you just a little happier.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I would like to get the SVS 20-39PCi, but the WAF with the taller tube is not happening.
This statement makes it sound like for you the 20-39PCi would be the obvious choice over the PW-2200 while the 25-31PCi vs PW-2200 decision is really tough. This shouldn't be the case. The SVS subs sound amazingly similar. I'd guess the 25-31 sounds MUCH more like the 20-39 than the pw-2200 does.

While my auditions of the 20-39 weren't in the same room as my 25-31 I still feel pretty confident saying that it would be a very difficult task discriminating between the two in a blind test. Playing Toy Story 2 (my favorite demo material) with its strong subharmonic signals I get the entire audible signal plus lots of strong vibrations. The only reason I can see dropping to a lower tune is if you really feel like your couch/floor/windows REALLY need to be MOVING. Its unlikely that you'll actually hear the extra extension - at least for me its all tactile under 24Hz.

I think that even after people realize that SVS subs are on par with much more expensive retail products some will still get hung up on prices. The higher price of the 20-39 does not automatically make it "better" than the 25-31.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I had the 2200 in my setup for 3 days.A friend works in a store that carries Paradigm and let me take the floor model home.I found a small improvement over my old Energy sub so for me it did not warrant a purchase.After hearing all the praise around here for SVS,I decided to take the plunge even though,like Dustin said,I'm in Canada.I had to pay duty,extra taxes and shipping.It took about 2 minutes to realize that I had made the right decision.The SVS was big upgrade from the 2200.Keep in mind that I have the original 20-39 CS,so yours will be even better.Music and movies sound great and I couldn't be happier with the service you get from the guys regarding placment and amp questions.I have a idle channel in my 250/side Yamaha.I wonder if theres any B-stocks laying around.Hmmmmmmmmm;)

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Donald,

I use to own a PW-2200 and just recently sold that and got a SVS 20-39PCi. I am still evaluating the SVS but the first impression is very positive. My set up is similar to yours, Paradigm Reference 40's as fronts, CC center and ADP surround. However, I listen to music more then watch movies.

One of the biggest reason why I made the switch is because I wanted to put the sub in the corner of the room. I couldn't do that with the PW-2200 because it gets very boomy in a corner. So when I had the PW-2200, it was facing the listening position alone the side wall and thus taking up a lot of space. With the SVS, I now have it in the left front corner of the room and it seems to work pretty well.

As my first impression, I would say that the SVS has "cleaner" but less "articulate" bass. For example, if you listen to some recording of bass guitar, to me, the notes from a bass guitar have a certain 'fatness' to it. Like a shape that you can almost see with your mind's eye. The SVS doesn't seem to 'articulate' that shape as well as the PW-2200 but you can still feel the bass. The SVS really shines when it comes to movies. It produces lots of very clean, couch shaking bass that sneaks up on you and that's a lot of fun.

So, Donald, if you are more into movies then music, then my suggestion is that you have to convience your wife to let you get the SVS. The 20-39PCi is about as tall as my 40's on stand. And since it sits in a corner, it does save some room which I think the wife would appreciate.

I will try to play around with the SVS some more and hopefully soon I'll go ahead and post a full review. In the meantime, hope this is sufficient to help you with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks