cost effective (ok CHEAP) equipment rack?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I need to break down and buy some kind of equipment rack but I dunno what to get, the budget is REAL tight, like $50 [​IMG]
    I just bought a used elite receiver that weighs about 40 pounds, and I don't think the 20$ walmart bookshelf I've been using will hold it, not to mention the other usual stuff everyone has,
    vcr
    dvd
    cd player
    directv IRD
    receiver
    the cable management has become a problem too [​IMG]
    any suggestions? doesn't have to be pretty..

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Do you know how to use a drill? If so then you can make a rack. I'm no Tim Allen but I've made racks for my HT, computer, and aquarium and they all turned out great. All it takes is wood shelving, nuts, bolts, and some threaded rods. If you do a search for DIY racks its sure to turn up something useful.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've got no problem building something, problem is I don't have much for tools, no power saws, just a drill.

and there's no home depot or other home store that will make cuts for me in town

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    My local home improvement store sells the shelving pre cut for a few bucks. Sizes range from a few feet to several yards so it was just a matter of chosing what best fit my needs. I didn't even need a saw, it was just a matter of drilling the holes and putting the rack together. From beginning to end it can be done in an hour or so.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Ohhh?
    I'll check it out, thanks for the idea [​IMG]

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

well, here she is for better or worse [​IMG]
    they didn't have anything but white 12"x24" so, once it warms up I'll paint them black or something.. and I still need to straighten the shelves and I'm a washer and 3 bolts short for the top, but overall I like it [​IMG] thanks for the info [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Hey, that's pretty cool. Has some style with one rod on one side. Nice job.[​IMG]
    How much were the materials (minus paint)?

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

$35 total, as it stands.
    the shelves came with the white plastic veneer on them for 3$ each, the all thread rods are 5/8 or so by 3 feet long and ran $3 each, and then 2 bags of bolts and 2 bags of washers for a little under $2 each
    sadly I needed 30 bolts and 30 washers, and they come in bags of FOURTEEN those bastards [​IMG]
    I'm really happy with it, it'll look nice with all my gear on it. As you can sorta see in the background I'm using a 30$ bookshelf from wal*mart and it's just not cutting it anymore with 5 bits of equipment.. heck I may even leave it white, I sort of like it.
    more info can be found here;
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

9. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Looks very nice. I wondering how it would work if casters were attached to the bottom to make it easier to get at the back of the components?

-Keith

10. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

At only 12 inches deep I don't think casters would be a good idea. I went 20 inches deep with mine to accomodate a CD jukebox and my 32 inch TV. Casters work fine with it. But I wouldn't want to try it with something half as deep.

Is 12 inches deep enough to support the Pioneer Elite Receiver? I would have thought they'd need 16 to 18 inches.

11. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

[​IMG]I got this @ the Wiz for $170 (click pic to enlarge). I actually have 7 components in mine now, some stacked). Circuit City carries a similar rack too. (Oops, didn't see your budget initially; if you can get the cash, this is a good rack).