What's new

COSMOS Box Set Now OOP (1 Viewer)

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
According to Amazon.com's listing for the Cosmos Collector's Edition Set, the studio no longer prints this title. Amazing. From bestseller to out-of-print in little over a half-year. What could have happened? Did everybody all over the world who wanted Cosmos buy it shortly after release and sales then dropped to near nothing? Difficult to believe. A title of this importance ought never to go out of print. Was hoping to pick up a second set for back-up purposes, but I guess that's toast. Doubtless, the eBay price will skyrocket.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
And if you do order it from the site listed above, you get a $3.00 discount!
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Still available at Dvd Planet - at least it says in stock - for $127.46 (I just ordered it) and at Digital Eyes for the same price.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

John GB

Stunt Coordinator
You know it's funny, I stopped watching Cosmos after episode 5. It's nice to know however, that I can go back to it at any time and continue the series. I find this true with any long series (except the Sopranos). I guess this is why I never purchased Ken Burn's JAZZ. (Although I still want the set and probably will purchase it some day.)
Just a little rambling about Cosmos.

------------------

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It went out of print because OneCosmos, the company that was a partnership between Carl Sagan's widow Ann Druyan (spelling?) and tech maestro Joe Firmage went out of business when the tech stock market collapsed. Or, some say they thought that if they created a company that would produce Cosmos-like multimedia to help teach children science, it would be easy - or at least a mangeable challenge - to attract other investors besides themselves. But this is America, and education isn't particularly high on anyone's list. At least they got the discs out, and the Cosmos soundtrack too, before they folded.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I'd missed out on this, but I ordered one from Digital Eyes on Friday even though it said on the webpage that they were out of stock.
I got an email today saying they had some more and I was getting one :) So if you've been sitting on the fence, it's not too late.
------------------
Dave Smith
http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Dammit guys, I don't have money for this!
frown.gif
*sigh* Well, I just ordered one from Digital Eyes and one from DVDPlanet. Hopefully, one of them will come through, and if they both do, I'm sure I'll at least be able to get the 130.00 back on eBay, maybe more. More than likely more. Anyway, up goes the credit card balance.
furious.gif
But it's a good series, and worth getting.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Ten years from now on Ebay:
Item #87112...
COSMOS DVD Box Set OOP WOW!!!
Final bid: $1,000,000,000
Final Bidder: drevl (-3)
laugh.gif

Honestly, it's a shame that such a good series has bounced in and out of print so often. Unfortunately, this applies to a lot of the best documentaries.
Cosmos finally went back into the hands of OneCosmos, essentially the people who would treat it best, but because it is now a defunct company, the series is once again in limbo. When Turner had it, it was available on tape and laser disc (the lasers go for a ton of cash on Ebay). I hope that the series will remain available somehow.
Really, get this set if you can. While it's affordable. It's that good.
-g

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Okie doke folks, I sent this last night to the site's customer service email...
quote: Hello,
I heard with great displeasure that OneCosmos has gone out of business. Is this true? If so, I am inquiring about the availability of the "The Music of Cosmos" cd. Your website seems to still be up and it looks as if one would be able to place an order. Could you please tell me if orders are still being accepted and filled?
Thank you, and so sorry to hear of the demise,
Ben Motley [/quote]
Quick as lightning, I received this this morning...
quote: Hi Ben,
OneCosmos has indeed gone out of business. However, our company Cosmos Studios, is a completely different company than OneCosmos. We are in business and all the of the products on our website are in stock ready to ship within 24 hours of purchase.
Thanks! [/quote]
Make of that what you will. It doesn't quite say that they aren't in trouble, but I think I'll go ahead and order the cd here pretty quick to be on the safe side (it's a damned fine looking set too!). Hilariously, I received this next email from Digital Eyes just a second ago, as I was writing this post.
quote: Thank you for your order. Your permanent customer ID# is: XXXXX. Your DVD set has been placed on back order. We will alert you via e-mail when the back order is ready to ship. As of now, there is an unconfirmed rumor going around that the Cosmos: Collector's Edition has been discontinued. We do not yet know if this is true. We will do our best to fulfill your order for this item, but if the set has been discontinued, it is unlikely that we will be able to do so. Therefore, we cannot guarantee delivery of this item. We should know the status of the set soon. Keep checking our site for updates.
[/quote]
Oh well, guess we'll see what DVDPlanet has to say. If nothing else, I can order the dvd set directly from Cosmos Studios, but then I'll be paying 40 bucks more, well, 37
wink.gif
. Anybody else got any news?
[Edited last by Ben Motley on August 15, 2001 at 04:22 PM]

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Received my Cosmos order from DVDPlanet August 16th. I'll be watching it this weekend!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
About three months ago someone here at HTF posted that OneCosmos had went under & the DVD set might be going out of print so I went over to Amazon and snapped up a box as quick as I could.......so I may have had a small part in draining Amazon's stock of this fine collection.
tongue.gif

Sorry, but I had been holding out buying this for more than a year because I had hoped the price would come down but I wasn't going to wait any longer and miss out altogether.
I have been a fan of Carl Sagan's ever since 1979/80 when my dad gave me the book version of Cosmos and I still hope someone makes the 1986 "special edition" available because it contains quite a few new (at the time) filmed updates and extras that the DVD version barely hinted at.
I'll bet in the future Image or Criterion might like a stab at this important series.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."
[Edited last by Kevin M on August 17, 2001 at 07:04 PM]

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
So far I've watched half of the episodes & they look and sound wonderful. The producers are to be congratulated. Too bad other not to be named documentary producers cannot follow suit!
[Edited last by Jeff_HR on August 19, 2001 at 10:01 PM]

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
This set would seem to be still in print. Got this email today from Digital Eyes:
Good News! The Cosmos: Collector's Edition Set is again in stock and ready to ship out to you. Your copy will ship out today on invoice #xxxxx. Thank you for your patience while we restocked this item.
Thanks again for your order and have a good day,
Jen & Rob
Digital Eyes
1 800 649 9351

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Yep, I got the same email today Richard. As I posted earlier, Cosmos Studios emailed me a while back that although OneCosmos had gone out of business, Cosmos Studios was still in business and all products were still available. My set from DVDPlanet arrived last week, and my copy from Digital Eyes should be here soon. One will certainly make a nice X-Mas present for somebody. Now I gotta order that double disc soundtrack! My credit card is sooo hot!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks