What's new

Cosby Show S2--uncut? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Um, so Jay...are you saying people who have certain things should just go around indicriminately offering them up to others who haven't asked them (politely even) for them yet?

This also leads to a very slippery slope of which the HTF prefers we steer clear.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably going to go ahead and splurge for the season 1/2 deal at bestbuy.com. Since I doubt we'll ever get a corrected S1, I might as well, and maybe I'll go on eBay for some Columbia House copies. And if they ever do correct season 1, I'd gladly double-dip since it's only costing me $6 this time around.

That is, once we have confirmation regarding season 2 being uncut.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I work at Target and I can say that not only is there a big sticker on the front advertising the Uncut Episodes for Season 2 but it's also added as part of the description on the back cover of the DVD art.

For those of you who hate Season 1 the only thing I can say is that the deal on Cosby Season 1 and 2 is a very good deal. You are getting Season 1 for free with Season 2 marked at 35% off the retail. How can you go wrong with getting Season 2 at a discount and getting Season 1 for free, basically.:D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Very few "free" things really are. And most that are, aren't worth it. I can go out and get herpes for free, but I wouldn't do that either. :) Hopefully, if they see that they can't even give away cut episodes, they might just be motivated at some point in the future to do the right thing.

The bottom line is, since I would never waste any time watching the cut episodes, why the hell would I take it, even for free. To clutter up my valuable shelf space?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't recall anyone on The Cosby Show getting herpes. Did I miss a special episode ? I knew that Cousin Pam was nothing but trouble, sashaying in all of a sudden like she did. :angry:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Isn't that why Cosby kicked Lisa Bonet off the show?! She contracted herpes from Mickey Rourke...or something like that. It's all so fuzzy......

:D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well it happened on the original network broadcast, but it's part of what was cut out of reruns, which is why so few recall it with any clarity. :)

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

Refresh my memory if you would please. What was the reason for the distributer not releasing uncut episodes of Season 1 of TCS in the first place? I understand that about two minutes of footage is missing from all syndicated prints. It is good to see a terrible wrong corrected with subsequent releases. But I must agree with the posts above. It doesn't TAKE AWAY from the fact that we have to pay $30-$40 for the same Season 1 DVD's that are the EXACT same edited prints. What's the point of even purchasing Season 1, unless they are gonna do a restored uncut set? This is a series on DVD that I will pass on unless Season 1 is rereleased uncut. Otherwise, it is like purchasers will always have something missing, that is inexcusable to be missing in the first place. DVD's are supposed to contain complete, uncut episodes. You are supposed to be getting MORE for your money, not less!

Jack

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can see passing on Season One since it's cut but I'd buy Season Two since the problem is (apparently) corrected. They listened to the complaints and fixed the problem, I have to give them that. Yes, the problem shouldn't have happened in the first place but fixing it beats saying "Screw you, here's the syndicated versions again". Just like how Lion's Gate heard all the complaints about Alf and still released S2 edited.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
So, anyone gotten this yet, popped it in and verified that the running times are correct? I'm not taking a chance on purchasing season 2 until I get some confirmation that it's uncut, and statement on packaging is too often wrong for me to rely on that.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Uh, because Carsey-Warner was too cheap and too lazy to go back to the original 1-inch masters when they already had the edited Beta SP copies siting there. There's no mysterious explanation for these things, just the usual, greed, laziness and negligence.

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I Bought it today and it IS the Network Versions (They are not edited) I only watched one eppisode and I say a couple of scenes that I haven't seen before and I've watched that eppisode a lot of times on TV. Most of what was cut was really minor but there was one scene I was glad to see.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
If they ever release season one uncut, I'll gladly start collecting the series.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If it's true then I'm happy season two is uncut. It's a classic season. Unfortunately the show took a tumble in quality the next season due to the frequent absences of Phylicia and the sub-par writing.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I bought the S1/S2 deal at bestbuy.com and they arrived today. I watched the first episode of season 1 and...I just can't get into it. I still laugh at a few scenes (I can't help it with the Theo/Cliff Monopoly scene) but just knowing that it's edited makes it almost like a chore to watch. Whenever I buy multiple sets of a show at the same time, I usually alternate episodes, but I'm just going to get S1 over with now, and possibly go on eBay for the Columbia House discs.

I'm definitely going to write to CarseyWerner about this; it probably won't accomplish anything but I have to make sure they know how I feel, and how excellent it would be if they would reissue season 1 in uncut form. Hopefully the fact that the season 2 box is half the size of S1 is an indication that they're considering changing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.