Cosby Show S2--uncut?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by AnthonyC, Mar 3, 2006.

1. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

While I know UrbanWorks promised the original NBC versions for the second season set, they promised them for the first season too and didn't deliver. Can anyone confirm if the second release has all uncut episodes?

2. Carlo S

Carlo S Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't get my hopes up

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, C/W righted the wrongs with Roseanne and Third Rock, I don't see why not with Cosby too

4. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    The same question should also be asked of the upcoming 2nd season of A Different World.

5. Allen_Kir

Allen_Kir Stunt Coordinator

I think they are uncut because according to Amazon SEASON 2 is 50min, longer than SEASON 1.

6. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Yeah, but if Cosby Show Season 2 is uncut how many of you are going to go back and buy Season 1? Because I don't honestly believe they will re-release the set.

I would however, like to see C/W release a repaired set and offer an exchange for those fans who bought the first season sets.

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I'd probably buy S1 down the road, but I'd hope to see a corrected version before then.

8. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I don't expect to see re-releases of the season one Cosby or Roseanne sets. If they cared what the fans thought they would not have butchered the original sets to begin with.

9. Mark Talmadge

I respect that, David, however, since Carsey Werner has been making things right by releasing broadcast epsiodes of late reasons I honestly think that you're missing out on a great release for Season 1.

But, since you probably won't pick up on the release of Season 1 bear in mind that it's highly, and I mean highly unlikely that Carsey Wener will release an unedited version of Season 1.

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well we all missed out on a great release for season 1, since there wasn't one, only a crappy release of season 1. At least those of us who skipped it, didn't have to pay for not having a great release of season 1.

I'll buy season 2 uncut, but that would in no way alter the fact that season 1 as it's currently released is a worthless pile of shit, and I certainly wouldn't add the cut up crap to my collection, simply cause season 2 was released correctly. If, and only if they ever release season 1 uncut, it'll be part of my collection. If not, then no season 1 of Cosby is infinitely better than a bastardized version.

11. Mark Talmadge

It's not a bastardized edition because I'm sure that many of you have watched these episodes in their syndicated version in repeats on such stations as Nick at Nite, TV Land and so forth. Every Cosby episode broadcasted on television as repeats is the synidcated version so what's the point. I just think you guys are missing out on a great release and I actually feel pity for you.

It's doubtful that any of you could even remember seeing the boradcasted episodes or remember them from memory when they were originally broadcasted withgout having some kind of website at your fingertips speculating or hinting at which scenes were removed. Sure, many of us would like to have the broadcasted episodes but that's not going to happen and some of the the hundreds and thousands of fans out there who have become fans of the series have indeed purchased the first season.

12. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

That's why it's even more bastardized. I wasn't even born when The Cosby Show premiered. I've watched the episodes on Nick at Nite countless times and was looking forward to finally seeing the full, unedited versions. The convenience of watching a syndicated episode anytime I want is useless because I can catch at least four syndicated episodes a day if I wish.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Mark, I say this with all due respect but you're never gonna change anyone's mind on this subject. Just like no one is going to change your mind on it. Syndicated vs. network verions is a topic that should be forbidden to even mention like politics or Star Wars OT vs. SE. [​IMG]

14. Mark Talmadge

haha ... I guess noty.

BUT, you're wrong about the Star Wars films. I love the Pre-Special Editions because my parents took me and my brother to see the original films back when they first hit the theaters back in 1977 and 1980 and 1983 and I have always loved those films.

I consider myself a true Star Wars fan.

When the Special Edition films came out I considered myself lucky enough to be able to see not only new and enhanced scenes were an added bonus. Those that consider themselves true fans of the original version as it first premiered aren't true fans because they would still appreciate the original vision of the creator of that series.

I just think entertainment fans are spoiled too much by what they think they should get instead of looking at things from a distance. We're so used to wanting the original unaltered version of a television show or a movie that we don't think about the opposite side of that coin.

Movie directors delete and remove footage from their films all of the time without adding it back ini for the DVD release. While we may not like it, that's the way it is. This is true in relation to TV Shows.

Studios don't know which show will make money and most often don't have access to the original broadcast episodes so fans argue, mona, bitch and complain that they aren't getting the original broadcast episodes. They also know that there are a multitude of fans out there who will buy the DVD sets and the minor group of complaints coming from those who complain on online forum boards is just minor.

Maybe instead of bitching on forum boards everyone should be emailing these studios instead. I'm sure Gord and Dave would agree with this point.

"You catch more flys with honey than with sugar."

15. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Speak for yourself. I have all of the first season episodes complete from taping them off NBC. They aired in 1984, remember, not 1964 before home recording. So there are many people like myself who liked the show and have it in it's original form. So for us, it may be an inconvenience not to have it released on DVD but only a slight one. Just another 12 hours to transfer among the thousands.

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I certainly watched the Cosby show when it originally aired, and have never bothered with cut up repeats.

The only people whom I feel sorrier for than those who've only seen the edited repeat episodes on tv are those duped into spending their hard earned cash to pay for them. On second thought, if you're going to do that of your own accord, I don't feel sorry for you. [​IMG]

Mark,

With all due respect, you are engaging in what is known as trying to reduce cognitive dissonance. You paid for the edited, bastardized season 1 episodes, and so you are defending them. That's understandable, as it's human nature to do so, but it doesn't change the fact that they are an abomination to anyone who doesn't love censorship.

17. Mark Talmadge

Oh, and since Cosby Season 2 comes out this week you can get Seasons 1 and 2 for $26 through the Best Buy website. It's $20 off the retail for buying 1 and 2. So, go and get Season 1 for free while the offer lasts.[​IMG]

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    You can't pay me to take season 1. I have network airings of the first season from NBC on Beta (about 10 or so), but they are missing end credits in most cases, and often opening credits, too. If the disc had been uncut I would have gladly bought it for the improved picture quality, the absence of commercials, and the absence of a donut promo over the end credits. (I bought The Simpsons, even though I taped it from Fox when it aired). If season 2 is uncut I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, not all of the millions and millions of people who watched them taped them. Some didn't have VCRs at the time. Some of us did not know then what we know now about syndication cutting. I, for one, did not realize this practice or the extent to which it was going on until The Simpsons were first syndicated in 1994.

Some of us couldn't even talk. If I had been able to operate a VCR known of syndication cuts when I was one year old and had attempted to tape my favorite shows, I would need a separate house for tapes by 1990.

19. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I saw S2 out early at a warehouse club this weekend. There is a fairly large sticker on the front indicating that the episodes are full length network versions. Of course until someone watches them there is no way to be sure. I'm not a fan so I didn't buy this.

20. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

no offense, but how about all of you with original network airings trying to offer them to those of us who either were too young in 1984 (some weren't born), didn't have a VCR in 1984 (my family got ours for Xmas 1985) or didn't think that in 20 years they'd still wanna watch this show?

I keep seeing everyone who was lucky enough to tape the episodes from NBC in 84-85 stepping up and admitting it, but not saying anything along the lines of "message me please about it".