Cosby... new distributor, new season 1?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I am curious with First Look taking the rights of Cosby Show (does anyone else think that this is way too big a show to be distributed by such small companies? if they're gonna go for an indie, why not Anchor Bay or something?) and the promise of new seasons. Will the new DVD's be direct replicas of the Urbanworks sets (much like South Park, the Paramount versions of 1 and 2 are identical to the Warner Bros) or will they go back and rerelease season 1 the way it should've come out the first time?

To me, Cosby peaked in seasons 1 and 2, so to me it's not a case like Roseanne (which was edited in season 1 but 2 onward have been uncut) where I can forgive it since I wasn't so fond of the first year anyways. Cosby was the ultimate example of a sitcom which started going downhill when the kids began to get older, so I don't care if season 7 and 8 are uncut because I don't like those years.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

ITA. I hope we get a new release of season 1 with unedited episodes but I'm not counting on it. OTOH, it doesn't make much sense to simply reissue the set that fans were up in arms over.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the best you can hope for is that the rest of the series sells well and they go back and re-release S1. Since S1 been released already (even if it's messed up), it'll be the lowest selling set so I'm sure it's at the bottom of their list.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm not holding my breath for unedited Cosby & World Season Ones. I just want them to get going on the rest of the seasons.

I too think Cosby lost a great deal of quality during the infamous 3rd Season. Not having Phylicia around as much due to her real-life pregnancy didn't help matters. But the writing was just bad. I do think the show rebounded nicely and was pretty consistently good throughout the rest of it's run. But it did peak early. Roseanne on the other hand was perhaps the ultimate example of a family show that got better as the kids got older because it made them even more a part of the show instead of trying to work around their ages.

A Different World also, quite famously, got much better after it's re-tooling.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
This isn't really a new new distributor as First Look purchased Urbanworks. The contract must have been one that didn't carry over to the purchasing company, so a new contract had to be worked out. I don't expect they'll redo season 1.

Gord

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakiratbneha