Corvette Summer: We NEED this DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ted Ehlers, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Ted Ehlers

Ted Ehlers Extra

Corvette Summer.

Every day on eBay, someone is so desperate for Corvette Summer they are willing to bid $15 on a used, pan-n-scan VHS tape.

The movie, which is a priceless time capsule that combines the 70's muscle car craze, hot stars Mark Hamill and Annie Potts, and a really good story. It's one of those movies that keeps you from flipping the channel due to the thick late-70's look and sound, but hold you to the end because it's actually A REALLY GOOD MOVIE. Plus, can any scene in any movie hold a candle to Mark Hamill dumping a tray of Cokes on a police cruiser while pummeling Danny Bonaduce?

It's funny, it's an adventure, and it's not on DVD. It's really a shame, because it would sell. Sure, the built in fans would all buy it, but so would a million others due to a decent marketing campaign and the Star Wars connection. This movie has Hamill looking much like he did in Star Wars, just a different kind of hero's journey.

A 5.1 mix (the soundtrack music must have been recorded in Stereo), trailer (which I have seen), photos (there were TONS at the time), perhaps virtual press kit (I have seen the paper kit, lots of funny dated hyperbole about Vettes), commentary by Hamill? Let's shed the light on this and encourage Warner to make next summer a Corvette Summer summer.

And May the Funk be with you.

www.mp3.com/ted3000

2. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

I want this one badly too. Whenever there is a topic about most wanted DVD's, I always give a shout for this one. Hopefully they will release it soon.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I totally agree and had started a thread on it and The Gumball Rally shortly after joining HTF earlier this year. This movie needs to be on DVD. I think a petition might be needed because whoever has the rights to this movie ain't moving fast enough. There's actual demand for this title!

5. Ted Ehlers

Ted Ehlers Extra

Gary->dee, Peter, Tony

We must stir the appetites of the forum.

The VHS is OOP but there is plenty of stock left of Amazon. I don't think it's a rights issue, probably an interest issue. But you'd think with a star like Mark Hamill with his instant geek street cred would catapult this to the top of a DVD producers must-do list. It could be marketed as either a must-have 70's relic, or as a sweet, funky, crazy coming of age story.

I can see the disk now...
    Clear printed Slipcase unites the famous Hamill and Potts graphic with the Stingray background on the DVD cover. (think Fear and Loathing Criterion/Boogie Nights SE)

DVD 1: Corvette Summer in 5.1 DD and DTS, digitally remastered in it's orginal aspect ratio. Active sound mix, rears engaged for all the car racing and ambient sound. Music up front in loving stereo. Hamill commentary. Trivia track.

"Period" looking menus, (highlight stuff in a garage?) no DVD cliche 3-D space-station swirling navigation pods and whoosh noises.

DVD 2: Trailer, TV campaign, radio campaign, making-of, about the Stingray, interviews with cast, press kit, Hamill's A&E biography, DVD audio sountrack, cutscenes and alt takes.

If this does not come to DVD, I swear I'll remake it shot for shot. Be warned.

6. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

It's such a cult classic. I think it would be hard to generate a lot of interest here. Perhaps starting a website, kind of like the petition one demanding the original versions of the Star Wars classic trilogy. I'm down to do some graphics if that happens! [​IMG]

Your 2 disc set is definitely a fantasy since we're begging for a single disc let alone special/collector's edition extravaganza. It's probably about as likely as the Howard The Duck 3 disc set. We'd be lucky just to get the theatrical trailer as a special feature, but you definitely got me fiending for a 2 disc!

For all we know, a DVD could be in the works right now and we wouldn't even know it. If only!

7. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I'd say likely extras would be a theatrical trailer, an original making-of featurette and a new commentary with Mark Hamill and Annie Potts.

The commentary track with Hamill and Potts is a possibility (after all, Warner has been able to attach commentary tracks to movies you wouldn't expect them on..."Krush Groove", "One Crazy Summer" and the recent releases "Curly Sue" and "The Boy Who Could Fly" are testament enough to this).

Did I say Warner? Yes, the studio with the shield owns this movie...Another acquisition made in the Turner buy-out.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'd buy this.

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I loved this movie, but people usually consider this to be Mark Hamill's disappointing Star Wars follow-up. It is, in fact, a wonderful comedy adventure.
    Strange, though, that the film's biggest fan is the guy who thought the christmas special was a hoax? Remember that, Ted? That must have been 1996 or something.

9. Ted Ehlers

Ted Ehlers Extra

Mike,

Ah yes! I remember that. Well, after seeing it several times, I still maintain the Holiday Special is a hoax. Long live rec.arts.whatever it was!

10. Mark Tay

Mark Tay Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

I too would pick this up on DVD in a heartbeat!

11. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Yep...

...there are a number of summer drive in films that stir memories... S&B, Hooper, Am. Graf., and Corvette Summer.

Come to think of it, why not market a "late 70's early 80's salute to the end of the Drive-In" Box Set?

12. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Ive never seen Corvette Summer but Im dying to now after reading this thread.

Love that still of Hamill on the bike!!

And yes there is a SW Holiday special. I have a VHS copy of it.

13. JimmyT

JimmyT Stunt Coordinator

It's on my want list also.

14. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

This thread is why I am a member of HTF.I loved this movie.Was Mark Hamill in Damn Nation Alley?What about Laser Blast?I saw both in the theater in the 70's.

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Me, too! :b

Instant purchase, if in OAR.

16. StevenF

StevenF Stunt Coordinator

Just watched Corvette Summer on Starz this morning. What a treat... my childhood guilty pleasure. Now I wish MGM would get off their butts and release it on DVD.

17. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Me too.

18. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    A lot of films I liked back then I watch now and dont like as much.
    Did this age well?

19. Aaron SC

Aaron SC Auditioning

Believe it or not, there was a thread about this not too long ago (alas, I tried to post the link here, but was foiled by the HTML/15 post policy -- a search should bring it up, however).

This one of only two or three movies I still own on VHS, and has long been my DVD Holy Grail.

"Cokes?! I didn't want no Cokes! Who said I was thirsty?!"

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.