Correction of 56TXi review in WSR Magazine!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PatrickS, Jun 21, 2005.

1. PatrickS

PatrickS Stunt Coordinator

There is a extensive review in this months WSR magazine of the Pioneer Elite 56TXi receiver. Which all in all IMHO, was pretty good.

However, as the title explains, there is one point that should be corrected. Relating to using i.Link to play Multi-Channel SACD's.
    The reviewer states that when using a 59AVi connected to the 56TXi via i.Link that MCACC cannot be engaged for 5.1 SACD disks. Stating that it will only playback stereo with MCACC engaged. And that the only way to get 5.1 SACD's to playback all channels was to set it to "SACD Direct", which causes the loss of MCACC and BM functionality. However, he was not aware of the "Stream Direct" function of the 56TXi. The "Stream Direct" mode on the 56TXi will automatically detect what format the signal is. If Stream Direct is turned off (and it obviously was in the reviewers case), and you usually listen to CD's in stereo, and you pop in a 5.1 SACD it will default to stereo playback of that 5.1 SACD (that is assuming you have SACD direct turned off in the setup menu). But even then you can still get 5.1 playback. All you have to do is push either the 'movie" or the "music" button on the remote and then enter. But whether you use "Stream Direct" or manually push the movie/music button, you will can get 5.1 SACD audio and the ability to engage MCACC and use BM.
    BTW, "Stream Direct" mode is "on" by default when it is new out of the box!

I have confirmed 5.1 SACD playback over i.Link with MCACC and BM with the use of the 56TXi/47Ai combo and gman8691 in the "Pioneer Elite VSX 56TXi owners unite!" thread on AVSForum has confirmed it with the 56TXi/59AVi combo (same combo used by reviewer).

To summerize for those members who have any problem playing all 5.1 channels of a multichannel SACD via i.Link using the 56TXi/59avi or 47Ai combo AND have the ability to use MCACC and BM when doing so:

First you need to set SACD playback to multi-channel under the 59avi/47Ai setup menu (page 73 of 59avi manual and page 68 of the 47Ai manual). Most importantly turn on the Stream Direct function "on" the 56TXi front panel (page 37 of 56TXi manual). Then make sure the 56txi "SACD Direct" mode option is set to "OFF" (this is the default btw), and that the Stereo/Direct function is not set to "Direct" playback (page 40, 41 and 80 of 56txi manual). This will allow you to use both MCACC EQ and BM on 5.1 SACD sources over i.Link!

Hopefully this will help someone in the future!

P.S. The reviewer also states that for 192kHz Stereo DVD-A disks that only BM was available by the DSP engine, however in the 4 tests I ran, MCACC was also available for these Hi-Rez disks!

Best Regards,
    Patrick

2. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit

FWIW, I find that while MCACC and BM (and presumably speaker delay) is available to SACD and DVD-A sources, DPL IIx is not.

3. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit

Btw, it is on the newer 74txvi.