What's new

correcting stain color on small blemishes (1 Viewer)

DaveKahler

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone share any wisdom on correcting the color on about a 2cm x 1cm area on my wood where the stain didn't take very well? I assume some glue got on there and it's just not taking as well.

It's really not a big deal because it's not a big area, but if it's fixable it's worth trying something. I tried spot treating it with some extra stain, but that didn't do much. I could probably post a picture if that would help.

Thanks!

Edit:

Pictures:
http://home.gwu.edu/~dakahler/subbox/

the piece in question are the pictures that end with t_.

Would a gel stain help with this if I could find the right color?

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Dab some on with a Q-tip and let dry, don't wipe it off. A drop of clear finish with some stain may help if that doesn't work.

Pete

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Its too late for my solution to this problem, which is to NOT USE STAIN. Why do we all feel compelled to change the color of the wood, and in the process, lose irridescence and depth plus risk problems with evenness. Just choose attractive venneer and finish it as it is.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

If you can use some gel stain. Apply a small amount of stain and then a drop of paint thinner. Cover the area with stain and let it dry. Don't wipe it off. This should allow the color in the blemished area to look more consistant.

Good luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks